moving up limits

• donut10
      donut10
      Bronze
      Hi guys

I'm looking for some advice for moving up limits from NL10 to NL25 zoom 6max.

It seems like quite a big jump in terms of money because of the 2.5x increase in blinds which I suppose can be quite daunting for players who feel a bit money scared. Is it better to just play the same game you play at NL10 to start with whilst taking shots and then adjust from there? Also does balance begin to become more important? Is it more aggro in terms of 3bet/4betting?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Donut10
  • 6 replies
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      hey donut. ive recently made the step up to nl25 (nl20/nl25) and it's taken me countless shots. for that reason im not sure if i can tell you anything you don't already know... anyway, i don't think you need to change your game at all. you might encounter some slightly more aggressive players, and it might force you to work on some aspects of your game but that's a good thing for sure.

also you really don't need to work on balancing afaik. not sure if you were in uri peleg's coaching the other day but he mentioned that he would only work seriously on balancing at ~nl200.

in terms of 3bet/4betting.... hard to say. the thing is many of the regs will have moved up from nl10 and imo in order to do well on nl10 you have to have some sort of understanding of 3betting/4betting. so i would expect regs on nl25 to have a more solid preflop game than the average regs on nl10 just by definition.

hope that helps.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      I guess before moving to zoom nl25 you could play some regular nl25 tables with fish. So it should be easier.

If you want to keep volume, continue playing nl10 zoom and at the same time having 1 table lets say normal nl25 or something like that

btw what is your nl10 sample and winrate?

For me so far NL25 zoom is hard, I got 10 stacks down over 17K hands. Might be variance, but I have even bigger sample of non zoom and still bad results, so most likelyt bad play.
    • donut10
      donut10
      Bronze
      Dr dunne:
      thanks for your advice, I'm on my fourth shot now, its a ball ache when you're taking shots and it seems like you're getting coolered all the time. Everytime I move up I find myself over adjusting going from 7%3bet to like 12% etc. When I've grinded up for other next shot I'll play the exact same game as NL10 and then begin to adjust, if needs be, after a few K hands

+ thanks for the advice about balancing, I bought matt jandas book, applications of NLHE, which teaches a GTO style and obv that doesn't appear applicable to NL25

Speed:

7bb/100 over ~50k

I was considering trying some nl25 standard tables and Im sure I could table select and be <0bb/100 but, I'm only interested in playing zoom tbh coz I have a small monitor and prefer playing zoom.

I think I should just take 2 buy in shots everytime I get to 30bi+

I really appreciate the advice

Cheers

Donut10
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      I'm only interested in playing zoom tbh coz I have a small monitor and prefer playing zoom.

Oh, if you are wiining at 7 bb/100 at NL10, the aditional monitor should not be a proble. You can get decent for 100 eur or used one even cheaper.

Most of laptops have at least one socket to connect monitor and if its desktop computer, it often also have 2 slots, or if not, its probably not a problem to buy a cheap video card.

You then will get lot of value and I htink you collect that money in no time for monitor.

Plus even with zoom its nice to have 2 monitors, for example you can open some charts or notes or whatewer you want in another.
    • donut10
      donut10
      Bronze
      Well Ive got HDMI output on my laptop so I'll have a look if I can get a decent monitor somewhere which is reasonably priced

Thanks for the advice!

Donut10
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      Originally posted by donut10
      Well Ive got HDMI output on my laptop so I'll have a look if I can get a decent monitor somewhere which is reasonably priced

Thanks for the advice!

Donut10
      if you will buy, please tell the feeling to play near 2 monitors, I bet you will not ever want to get back to one :)