This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] AK vs 4b small

• mlatasrb
      mlatasrb
      Bronze
      PokerStars - $0.50 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 133.32 BB (VPIP: 33.45, PFR: 21.83, 3Bet Preflop: 10.00, Hands: 291)
      SB: 100 BB (VPIP: 15.18, PFR: 10.71, 3Bet Preflop: 3.92, Hands: 117)
      Hero (BB): 257.2 BB
      UTG: 145 BB (VPIP: 9.09, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 11)
      MP: 119.98 BB (VPIP: 17.75, PFR: 13.77, 3Bet Preflop: 3.42, Hands: 279)
      CO: 103.74 BB (VPIP: 37.78, PFR: 22.22, 3Bet Preflop: 5.26, Hands: 45)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A:heart: K:diamond:

fold, fold, fold, fold, SB raises to 3 BB, Hero raises to 9 BB, SB raises to 19 BB, Hero calls 10 BB

Flop: (38 BB, 2 players) T:diamond: 5:heart: 3:heart:
      SB bets 21 BB, Hero calls 21 BB

Turn: (80 BB, 2 players) 5:spade:
      SB checks, Hero checks

River: (80 BB, 2 players) 9:club:
      SB bets 36 BB, Hero calls 36 BB

SB shows 7:club: 8:club: (One Pair, Fives) (Pre 42%, Flop 25%, Turn 14%)
      Hero shows A:heart: K:diamond: (One Pair, Fives) (Pre 58%, Flop 75%, Turn 86%)
      Hero wins 147 BB

Is my line ok? I started only calling 4bets, because people super rarely 4bet for value (I say this, because whenever I shove preflop people fold almost always).

I should crash his 4bet range on postflop (when I assume he is bluffing a ton). So I dont have specific read on him, but from general population.
  • 3 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

I think having him fold to the 4b is fine. Thats where the main profit comes from shoving AK anyway.

Since his 4b size is on the smaller side, u can always opt for a small 5b to 33bb and do it with some bluffs too.

As played im not too sure what to make of his line. I think people rarely bluff like that but at the same time he doesnt rep too much here. Jj probably shoves the turn.
    • mlatasrb
      mlatasrb
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mbml
      Hi.

I think having him fold to the 4b is fine. Thats where the main profit comes from shoving AK anyway.

Since his 4b size is on the smaller side, u can always opt for a small 5b to 33bb and do it with some bluffs too.

As played im not too sure what to make of his line. I think people rarely bluff like that but at the same time he doesnt rep too much here. Jj probably shoves the turn.
      I was before playing min 5bet/call with TT+, AQ, and 5bet/fold with KQ, KJ, AJ, but then I noticed that people are full of bluff 4bet, and they fold after I min 5bet. Thats off course good when they fold, but then they dont make too big mistakes (since I also have to fold to their 4bet).
      Thats why I started calling vs min 4bet (vs aggro 4better), since I want to have wider range (89s-JTs, KJ+, AJ+, TT+), and there are pople that play totally spewy (play for stacks as bluff) where I win in the long run with my value hands, and there are people that cbet flop and give up, or give up flop.

So my gamplan postflop is float once with overcards and give up turn, or call down overpair. IF the board is Axx I give up most hands (since people 4bet as bluff with Ax). Also I write note about each 4better, to know how he plays postflop so that i can adjust.

Do you think that this could be good? Or maybe to devide my range, to have calling and 4bet range, e.g. call AA, KK, TT, AQ, and 4bet KQ, AJ, KJ, JJ, QQ, AK?
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      About calling 4bets vs min5betting.

Some hands just play better postflop and some play worse. This is why I prefer flatting the broadways (which play well) and shoving the small/mid pairs (which have poor playability). I guess AK has better playability compared to a hand like 88, but it has poorer playability than suited connectors, suited broadways and slowplayed large PPs like KK/AA.

I don't really want to go too much into this cos it's a fairly complex topic. I think having a flatting range vs 4-bets is certainly fine especially if villain is making small 4-bet sizes. But I would not do it with AK. I flat hands that are not strong enough to shove, and those with better playability, with the occasional KK/AA being mixed in to trap.