This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL4 SH A5s flop decision

• kiwicoach
      kiwicoach
      Bronze
      Hello

Here I experiment with a loose 3 bet in position vs a TAG UTG raiser. BTN gets in the way and TAG folds. BTN is short stacked and I miss completely, however the board could have easily hit my 3 bet range. Is it correct to contibet here or does villians stack size mean I give up?

Thanks!

OnGame - $0.04 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: 124 BB (VPIP: 44.44, PFR: 7.41, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 27)
      UTG: 120.5 BB (VPIP: 18.52, PFR: 14.81, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 27)
      Hero (CO): 200.75 BB
      BTN: 26.75 BB (VPIP: 50.00, PFR: 37.50, 3Bet Preflop: 25.00, Hands: 8)
      SB: 100 BB (VPIP: 21.88, PFR: 15.63, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 100)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A:club: 5:club:

UTG raises to 3 BB, Hero raises to 8.5 BB, BTN calls 8.5 BB, fold, fold, fold

Flop: (21.5 BB, 2 players) T:club: 8:diamond: K:heart:
      Hero?
  • 5 replies
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

I am fine with 3betting preflop, but is 8.5 standard in such spots for you? Would you make it this much with AA?

On this flop, as we completely miss and it hits his calling range, I would give up.

Best,
      Plamen
    • kiwicoach
      kiwicoach
      Bronze
      Yes, I'd typically re-raise 3x the original raise. Are you suggesting that's too much?
    • dbbgdanny
      dbbgdanny
      Basic
      Im also interested in the standard 3 bet sizing. Isnt less than 3x a bit too low ? I ussually bet 3x when i am in position and a bit more when he is .
      When I am squeesing 4x for 2 players and +0.5 for more. Is this reasonable ?
    • TJtheTJ
      TJtheTJ
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

First of all, welcome to the forum dbbgdanny!

Interesting discussion. I'll throw in my 2c as well.

I'm currently playing NL10, and my standard 3bet size against a 3bb open in position is going to be 8bb, 9bb if I have a real value hand against a fish. I generally find that players fold to 3bets almost as much if you 3bet them smaller as if you would raise say 9bb, so you can often get away with 3betting a bit smaller in position if you're 3betting light.

Out of position I tend to make it larger though, say 9-11bb dependent on raise size and amount of callers. If you get called you'll be playing out of position so you want to maximize fold equity, especially if you're making lighter 3bets, which a larger 3bet size achieves.

I think if you only 3bet for pure value and pretty much never 3bet bluff you can probably get away with 3betting bigger to get money in the pot. But never 3bet bluffing is probably not a good idea.

Now I'm not saying my sizing is perfect by any means, but I find this to work reasonably well at least for now :)

Kind regards,
      Tino
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

I'm glad that a discussion is forming.

Overall, sizings should be all the same with our whole range unless villain is not really adapting - for example if we play a huge fish then I don't mind even making it 15bb, and if we play a guy with huge fold to 3bet I would be happy making it 8bb.

Against unknowns I would usually make it 3x IP (but wouldn't mind making it 3x+1bb) and being OOP I am making such sizings as Tino's - around 11bb vs 3bb open.