This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL4 SH medium pair with initiative facing 1BB donk on turn

• kiwicoach
      kiwicoach
      Bronze
      Bit of a strange one here...

Once I get called on the flop and I dont improve on the turn I give up on this hand 99.9% of the time, but in this case the relatively unknown SB donks 1BB into 24BB so I call. River again is 1BB so I call for a cheap showdown. What is the optimal play here?

Thanks!

OnGame - $0.04 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: 87.25 BB (VPIP: 66.67, PFR: 33.33, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 3)
      UTG: 116.5 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 3)
      MP: 122.25 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 3)
      Hero (CO): 99.5 BB
      BTN: 60 BB (VPIP: 66.67, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 3)
      SB: 104 BB (VPIP: 100.00, PFR: 33.33, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 3)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 7:club: 9:diamond:

fold, fold, Hero raises to 4 BB, fold, SB calls 3.5 BB, BB calls 3 BB

Flop: (12 BB, 3 players) 6:spade: J:diamond: 7:heart:
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets 6 BB, SB calls 6 BB, fold

Turn: (24 BB, 2 players) 2:club:
      SB bets 1 BB, Hero calls 1 BB

River: (26 BB, 2 players) J:spade:
      SB bets 1 BB, Hero calls 1 BB
  • 3 replies
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

Is this standard open raise for you? Also, have you considered raising smaller from late positions - for example 3bb?

On this flop cbetting is borderline and I wouldn't mind checking as well.

I would play the same way on turn and river.
      Once he donks on turn I like calling and trying to get to SD as cheap as possible.

Best,
      Plamen
    • kiwicoach
      kiwicoach
      Bronze
      Thanks, no not a standard open raise but I was feeling a bit loose and had just shown down several strong hands on this table so was using my image. It would be great if you could comment on how image can effect my decisions in this spot and throughout the hand.

I typically will open raise for 4BB everywhere except the button where it's 3BB. Would you only open for 3BB typically from the CO too?

I can basically only represent the J here so see what you mean about borderline Cbet, but heads up I figure maybe I can take it down given my current table image.
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Well, if you've been active in the previous hands I would suggest you to let this one go.

Overall, I would only open this hand if the players behind us were tight and by having just three hands on them we can't really determine this.

I would also raise 3bb from the CO.

If we were heads up then there is no problem in cbetting, but being three-way it is hard for worse to call plus we don't have that much FE.