English as a Second language

• fruitcake1
      fruitcake1
      Bronze
      should not allow coaches to teach in the English community if English is not completely fluent. a big mistake here at poker strategy I've noticed. They totally mess-up things with mispronunciation and hinder the learning process and learning for newbs. A glaring oversight, also allot of the stuff needs to be updated or note made so to point out old stuff from new stuff IE Equilator is now Equilab. other things like that cause Tilt for new strategists when they should be learning. grievancetime
  • 10 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, fruitcake1
      Since PokerStrategy.com is a global community, it makes sense that we will have coaches from all over the world.

Besides language, a lot of the coaches have quirks, since after all, they are human.

Each coaching session has a feedback thread, and most coaches would be happy to improve their English, so if you do happen to run across something that need correcting, please use the feedback thread to do that.

You might also want to add the coach on the community tool, and let him / her know via PM what needs fixing.

Some of the errors don't need fixing, and just add to atmosphere.
      For example, there was a coach a while back who said "aint" for "isn't" and at first it sounded very odd, but after a while just added to the experience.

For now, I've moved this to our feedback forum, since your OP was intended as feedback.

Thanks!
      --VS
    • fruitcake1
      fruitcake1
      Bronze
      Im referring to the video and podcasts. hasenbratten for eg is difficult to listen to bc of the accent but he is fluent and clear. I tried listening to the coach podcast in beginners lesson 3 & can only laugh at the guy while Im trying to take seriously what he is saying most of which I dont understand. So that podcast is just junk to me but it's an import part of the coarse. For the English community there must b lots of English speaking ie. Auzi's Canucks NZ IRland Brits etc., that would still be difficult for me to listen too but at least i understand what they say. Cheny8888 for eg. is difficult for me to listen bc his accent sounds so stupid (no offence intended, really) to me but I understand everything he says. I've grown up listening to FrenchCan. and English American accents but the Euro type accents really twist me a bit to listen to them. The non-English guys ei German, though are too much for me to understand. Like I said no offence to any intended.
      Another thing is Im no English lit. major, U wouldn't want to be learning English from me.
      hahalolseh10-4Ko
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      This whole thread kinda seems like you're intolerant of other people's differences and pose a solution that instead of you changing and getting used to other accents of English (btw you say you grew up hearing french accent but can't understand "euro type accents"...wtf?), you instead seem to think everything should be changed to revolve around you and your preferences, at least that's what I'm getting from the paragraph, I might be wrong though since it wasn't written very clearly.

Once you listen to a particular type of accent, it may be difficult at first but you will get used to it. Adjust instead of complaining and you'll be a winner. True in poker and in life. :f_biggrin:
    • fruitcake1
      fruitcake1
      Bronze
      [[/i]Edited by VorpalF2F: Please keep the discussion friendly.
      It is OK to disagree, but in a community it is necessary to be respectful.[/i]]
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi fruitcake1

I'm sorry, but there was not much of your post I could save and still keep its meaning.

Please have a look at our forum principles and have another go at replying to metza.

As I mentioned before, the problem is one that is growing as people from all around the world unite.

A fellow from Scotland recently retired after 40 yrs of working for our company (in Canada). The joke at his retirement luncheon was that now he would finally have time for English as a Second Language classes.

A recent president of the US had a strong Texas accent -- and to many he sounded "like a hick" -- he wasn't.

Regards,
      --VS
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by metza
      (btw you say you grew up hearing french accent but can't understand "euro type accents"...wtf?)
      Hi, metza...
      I believe fruitcake1 was referring to French Canadian accents.
      Quebecois is quite different from French as spoken in France. So much so that some years ago a Quebecois film shown at the Cannes film festival had French subtitles so the European French could understand them.

As I read fruitcake1's feedback, I hear, "There should be a minimum standard for coaches, and some of them don't meet that standard"

If his meaning was different, I'm sure he'll reply.

I did not think he intended to offend anyone.

Cheers,
      --VS
    • fruitcake1
      fruitcake1
      Bronze
      The minimum standard being English is Not your second language Unless you can speak it fluently for video & podcasts in the English community.
      English community English community If that's to high a standard to ask for then Im in the wrong community.
    • fruitcake1
      fruitcake1
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fruitcake1
      [[/i]Edited by VorpalF2F: Please keep the discussion friendly.
      It is OK to disagree, but in a community it is necessary to be respectful.[/i]]
      Calling someone "intolerant" where I come from is calling them a racist bigot. Which is a criminal offence. Calling me a bigot because you didnt read or understand my post in the first place is not respectful. And against the tos of pokerstrategy.com at least in the English version. I won't tolerate being called intolerant. Take it or leave it. Im not here to argue biggotry with anyone. TheEnd

[edited by legand73]
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Hey fruitcake just edited your post while retaining the same message.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Good morning everyone,

I really dislike where this thread has gone so it will be closed. Discussion is obviously fine and something that we love to see here in our community. However, we won't accept inexcusable behaviour, bad language and genuine aggressive tones.

This is the internet. There is no place for this kind of behaviour, especially amongst adults just as their isn't in real life. Differing opinions should not be greeted with bad feelings and should be accepted for what they are - different.

@fruitcake, I appreciate that you are finding it difficult to understand some of the speakers. However, the English Community is vast here and you have to accept that not everyone is going to have "perfect" English.

Regarding older material, we are currently clearing out some old material and creating some newer stuff as we speak. It may take a while to complete as I'm sure you understand it is going to take many man hours to get a job like that done.

I hope we can all move on from this.

Enjoy your week,
      Gary.