[NL20-NL50] nl20 FD OOP as PFC

• DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      this is more a question about a general approach/way of looking at the flop in this situation rather than a preflop/turn/river question.

$0.10/$0.20 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players

Hero (BB): $22.19 (111 bb)
      UTG: $3.38 (16.9 bb)
      MP: $6.63 (33.2 bb)
      CO: $23.74 (118.7 bb)
      BTN: $20.10 (100.5 bb)
      SB: $20 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q K
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.60, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.30) 3 8 6 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.80, Hero raises to $2.60

i understand this will often be villain specific but i want to try and keep this general.

so we flop a decent FD OOP as the preflop caller and my options are donk, check/raise and check/call but mainly im only really thinking about check/raise or check/call here.

if i checkraise the flop it is because i don't have as much implied odds OOP (can't really extract value very well) and i have some good equity if i do get called. because i don't have as many implied odds i think it's ok to end the hand sooner rather than later. also, not that i really care about this, but it also balances the times i checkraise with my monsters. and finally, if villain barrels lots of turns then maybe it could be a reason to checkraise the flop and end it there.

if i check/call the flop it is because i don't think i have much FE. also it could be because villain fires 1-and-done a lot so i'll just pick it up on the river while realising my equity which is quite nice OOP.

i tend to checkraise with my good FDs and OESDs when OOP in this spot because i rather end it early and still have some backup equity. however the problem i have is what do i do when villain 3bets the flop? because im not really happy stacking off with a FD/OESD on the flop so maybe this favours a check/call?

trying to figure out how to approach decent draws OOP as the PFC so interested to see a second opinion.
  • 3 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi

1. You can always take both lines with mixed frequencies. This is often the best approach vs a tough player

2. I prefer playing stronger flush draws more passively. King and Ace high flush draws are great because you can let villain barrel your outs (to top pair or to the flush) and sometimes you can win at showdown when villain fires twice and checks River

3. Pair+flush draws should be played passively for similar reasons

4. Straight Flush draws should be played aggressively because they have cleaner outs vs sets (as compared to pair+flush draws) and they have less showdown value.

5. Nut flush draws could be regarded as a combodraw when ranges are wide, as the Ace may be an out, and also because you can cooler lower flush draws

6. I like check/raising smaller flush draws because people almost always 3-bet made hands on the Flop. This means that you can either call the 3bet OOP (being less likely to get dominated), or fold.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      thanks a lot that really helps :D

ok that gives me more questions though... let's say i checkraise the flop with a FD/OESD, villain calls and the turn is a blank. this spot makes me hate life because he clearly has some sort of hand and if i barrel the turn it could be pretty optimistic to make someone fold a hand that isnt necessarily weak.

so i'm having some problems coming up with a plan in this spot. i feel like i should at least barrel the turn - i have a ton of equity and people peel light IP so i should have some FE in general. if i get called on the turn i'm in a similar (but worse) spot on the river and i never know when i should/shouldn't fire 3.

also, lets say i decide to check/call with a decent draw on the flop and villain barrels the turn - i sometimes checkraise here since it reps a lot of strength and i don't want to just start calling down to hit my hand. the problem is when this gets called i'm stuck on the river again and i get a little mixed up with knowing when to barrel river or just give up.

i know i have lots of questions about this but just trying to get a basic framework together to build up a plan.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      1. I think you can sometimes check your weaker gutshots and continue firing your 8+ out draws on the Turn.

2. Yes you can sometimes check/raise the Turn esp when you have little showdown value. With a hand like AXs with the nut flush draw, I'll probably call again though.

Do we shove the River? Sometimes. So hard to answer this vague question . note that you'll need some bluffs and need to give up sometimes. If you do too much of one thing, your opponent may pick up on this and call you down way too light. You'll also need to know his tendencies and his inflection point (the street where he folds the most)