This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] A2s vs raise

• mlatasrb
      mlatasrb
      Bronze
      PokerStars - $0.50 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (BTN): 487.9 BB
      SB: 102.68 BB (VPIP: 26.20, PFR: 20.32, 3Bet Preflop: 8.86, Hands: 192)
      BB: 102.92 BB (VPIP: 30.43, PFR: 26.09, 3Bet Preflop: 27.27, Hands: 24)
      UTG: 87.36 BB (VPIP: 20.00, PFR: 8.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 26)
      MP: 38.66 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 9)
      CO: 215.34 BB (VPIP: 20.51, PFR: 17.95, 3Bet Preflop: 4.76, Hands: 39)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 2:spade: A:spade:

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, fold, BB calls 2 BB

Flop: (6.5 BB, 2 players) 5:heart: 6:spade: 2:diamond:
      BB checks, Hero bets 4 BB, BB raises to 14 BB, Hero calls 10 BB

Turn: (34.5 BB, 2 players) 7:diamond:
      BB bets 20 BB, Hero calls 20 BB

River: (74.5 BB, 2 players) 3:diamond:
      BB checks, Hero checks

BB shows 9:spade: K:spade: (High Card, King) (Pre 40%, Flop 24%, Turn 23%)
      Hero shows 2:spade: A:spade: (One Pair, Twos) (Pre 60%, Flop 76%, Turn 77%)
      Hero wins 71.14 BB

I think he bluffs there a lot with overcards, but I think I have better hands to call him, and the problem with calling A2 is that he has with any two overcards 25% and if he has a gutshot or OESD than he has even more.
  • 3 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

I think you need to call the Flop raise for sure vs someone who is aggro with raising. People also rarely raise for thin value and they almost always slowplay their monsters here so this guy reps really thin. Would be surprised to see most players at this limits being capable of taking a hand like 88 and check/raising it here for thin value.

I would often 3-bet the Flop with bottom pair, using it as a set blocker type of semi-bluff and you'll always have the option of bluff catching on a blank river, precisely for the reasons mentioned by you about the overcards. But this board is a little too dry for you to be able to credibly rep anything - You should technically be slowplaying all your strong hands and by 3-betting here you are creating an imbalance in your range.

Turn: This call here is extremely questionable. I would require a read to call here with such a weak hand.

River: I think this is a good spot to turn your hand into a bluff. You'll need to balance your flushes and 4X holdings anyway, and since you are virtually getting to the river with no pure air hands (your worse hand is 2X here), you should turn it into a bluff.

Thanks.
    • mlatasrb
      mlatasrb
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mbml
      Hi.

I think you need to call the Flop raise for sure vs someone who is aggro with raising. People also rarely raise for thin value and they almost always slowplay their monsters here so this guy reps really thin. Would be surprised to see most players at this limits being capable of taking a hand like 88 and check/raising it here for thin value.

I would often 3-bet the Flop with bottom pair, using it as a set blocker type of semi-bluff and you'll always have the option of bluff catching on a blank river, precisely for the reasons mentioned by you about the overcards. But this board is a little too dry for you to be able to credibly rep anything - You should technically be slowplaying all your strong hands and by 3-betting here you are creating an imbalance in your range.

Turn: This call here is extremely questionable. I would require a read to call here with such a weak hand.

River: I think this is a good spot to turn your hand into a bluff. You'll need to balance your flushes and 4X holdings anyway, and since you are virtually getting to the river with no pure air hands (your worse hand is 2X here), you should turn it into a bluff.

Thanks.
      Nice explanation, thanks.

I checked river because I thought I win often enough, didn't think about balancing. Is the point of river bet to fold hands like 78s, 79s, which he could raise on flop ? Because besides 78s, 79s, I dont see what stronger hand he could have in his range?
      Maybe he decides to c/c with set, because he is afraid of flush and 4x?

1) So if we forget about balancing, is check EV better than shove EV?
      I know that I should practice balancing my range, to get ready for higher limits where reggs pay attention more to my game than reggs in NL50, and I didn't care here about balancing because I have just 24 hands vs him.

2) Do you try to balance vs all reggs, no matter how many hands on him you have? I usually try to be balanced vs reggs on who I have > 300 hands, because when regg has 24 hands there is a small chance that he followed my game and ranges.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Yes it's to fold out 7X which is a decent part of his range. You may even be able to fold out sets if villain thinks you always have a straight/flush and is not capable of turning made hands into bluffs.

1. Is the EV Higher? It depends on how wide he's raising Flop and betting Turn. The wider his range is, the more air he's gonna have. Thus, the more you should check back.

2. It's usually a good idea to be balanced from the beginning, then you slowly adjust once you pick up reads.