sirilidion

• 18 replies
    • legand73
      legand73
      Gold
      Hi Sirilidion

Are you wanting to do the beginner's course? Never a bad idea imo. Hope to see your first homework when you're ready :)
    • sirilidion
      sirilidion
      Silver
      yes, after I have done other important stuff I am sure I you will see my first homework tonight :)
    • sirilidion
      sirilidion
      Silver
      so far I watched read the articles and watched the video. will be watching the podcast or attend the coaching later in the week.

but first, homework :(

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker: I really enjoy the game ( well most of the time at least ^^) and want to get better. I would think it would be awesome if I could make a living from something I really enjoy, but I wouldn't be sad either if it would end up being a profitable hobby :) .

Question 2: What is your weakness when playing poker: well I think my biggest weakness actually isn't so much in game as I am a bit lazy sometimes in studying consistently. sure I watch a video every now and again, attend some coaching and sometimes I even post a hand or 2, in some periods even a good deal. But hardly enough and never consistent

Question 3: play few hands, but when you play you play the hand aggressive
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by sirilidion
      so far I watched read the articles and watched the video. will be watching the podcast or attend the coaching later in the week.

but first, homework :(

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker: I really enjoy the game ( well most of the time at least ^^) and want to get better. I would think it would be awesome if I could make a living from something I really enjoy, but I wouldn't be sad either if it would end up being a profitable hobby :) .

Question 2: What is your weakness when playing poker: well I think my biggest weakness actually isn't so much in game as I am a bit lazy sometimes in studying consistently. sure I watch a video every now and again, attend some coaching and sometimes I even post a hand or 2, in some periods even a good deal. But hardly enough and never consistent

Question 3: play few hands, but when you play you play the hand aggressive
      Hi sirilidion

Welcome to the course,

I will be helping you move up the limits (hopefully) so feel free to post all of your questions here, along with the homeworks.

Congrats on finishing the first one and best of luck with the rest.

Best regards,

Bogdan
    • sirilidion
      sirilidion
      Silver
      So I finally watched the podcast of the coaching of the first week. A lot was already know for me, but still a few little things I picked up like:

-over the session always. Sort of known this one but being pretty lazy I usually didn't do it

- look at both winning and losing hands. Usually when I did analyze me session I would only look at losing hands as I don't really see how I can learn much analyzing the hands I already won.

- analyze even more when on a downswing. think this is good advise since mostly when on a downswing it effect your confidence in your game too. This way you can confirm you still playing good and improve even more at the same time :] .
      - pay attention to the tables and put people on ranges. also very important imo and I usely have relied to much on the stats and not enough on getting good detailed notes on my opponents too :)

I also had a few questions I like to ask:
      -What be the best time to analyze the session?
      - What are you exactly looking for when analyzing your winning hands?
      -What are good things to look for when trying to get some detailed information on your opponents
      - When making notes how can you still make a note fast and still be so detailed that you still know what you where trying to say when you wrote it?'
      - Why isn't there a advance course are a plo beginners course?

Well hope anyone can help me with this.
    • sirilidion
      sirilidion
      Silver
      ok, I have read the articles of lesson 2. Here are some comments on them

The 8 player types- and how to get there money:
      I think it isn't a good idea to teach beginning learning poker players calling these weaker players donks, fishes,idiots. These players are going to be our customers, so I would rather see the beginning articles reflecting this then just insulting them. So it would be more proper imo to call these players weaker players or recreational players as these players

How to play before the flop:
      Here I will combine my comment with the homework assignment of question 1 as the touch on the same things. what could I play differently then the shc.

these are things I would play differently then the shc
      - raise some of the ( like 66+) low pairs first in mp
      - I would open AQ from ep and AJ from MP- I rather raise the broadway suited cards first in from MP then limp them
      - I would consider still calling a suited connecter after a raise and some callers are a raise from a very tight opponent
      - I would raise mostly 3x maybe only 4x from ep and sb + 1 per limper
      Most of my adjustment would be limping less and raising more first in as I am not a big fan of limping :) .

Furthermore there are a lot more thing I would play differently that are more player or situational depended.the article Hasenbraten's Crushing NL50- part 1 covers a lot of these player depended or table depended adjustment I would make.

not any comments about mathematics of poker: odds and outs as I was already pretty familiar with this.

Question:
      why fold the Axs cards but call all broadway suited cards?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic

I also had a few questions I like to ask:
      -What be the best time to analyze the session?
      Ideally you want to analyze sessions either after you have finished it or before you start the next one. Depending on how long your sessions are you can also do a "day" review where you review the day before.

- What are you exactly looking for when analyzing your winning hands?

Many things however you could look at how much you won and how much you could have won if played differently (look at bet size, lines, etc).

-What are good things to look for when trying to get some detailed information on your opponents
      Look at hands that made it to showdown and try to understand their line. They can give a lot of information that way (and it's usually better than just looking at stats).

- When making notes how can you still make a note fast and still be so detailed that you still know what you where trying to say when you wrote it?'

The key here is practice. Start small and work your way up. It also depends on how many tables you play and sometimes you just have to mark the hand and make notes later on.

- Why isn't there a advance course are a plo beginners course?

Well hope anyone can help me with this.
      PLO is a much higher variance game and it's not advised to start out with that.

One should have a good idea about NLHE first and then move to PLO if they choose to do so.

Best of luck,

Bogdan
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      ok, I have read the articles of lesson 2. Here are some comments on them

The 8 player types- and how to get there money:
      I think it isn't a good idea to teach beginning learning poker players calling these weaker players donks, fishes,idiots. These players are going to be our customers, so I would rather see the beginning articles reflecting this then just insulting them. So it would be more proper imo to call these players weaker players or recreational players as these players

How to play before the flop:
      Here I will combine my comment with the homework assignment of question 1 as the touch on the same things. what could I play differently then the shc.

these are things I would play differently then the shc
      - raise some of the ( like 66+) low pairs first in mp
      - I would open AQ from ep and AJ from MP- I rather raise the broadway suited cards first in from MP then limp them
      - I would consider still calling a suited connecter after a raise and some callers are a raise from a very tight opponent
      - I would raise mostly 3x maybe only 4x from ep and sb + 1 per limper
      Most of my adjustment would be limping less and raising more first in as I am not a big fan of limping :) .

Furthermore there are a lot more thing I would play differently that are more player or situational depended.the article Hasenbraten's Crushing NL50- part 1 covers a lot of these player depended or table depended adjustment I would make.

not any comments about mathematics of poker: odds and outs as I was already pretty familiar with this.

Question:
      why fold the Axs cards but call all broadway suited cards?
      Well done with this post.

Re Question on Axs:

A lot of people call the Ax hands and then get married to their TP and lose a lot of money. So it's easier to have the beginner players not play these hands to begin with (saves them money in the long term).

Of course, as you pointed out already, you can make a LOT of adjustments to this starting hand chart. And you should make changes as you become a better player and have a better understanding of the game and your opponents.

Best of luck at the tables,

Bogdan
    • sirilidion
      sirilidion
      Silver
      I watched both video's. the video lesson 2: preflop play and poker math basics I didn't really like because it I didn't see anything in that added on to what already was said in the article. So why would you need to watch both the video and read the article. It really doesn't make sense and I think it would have been better to either put in the video or the article in the lesson then both

I did however liked Hasenbraten's crushing NL50-part 1 as it was able to go more in-depth in how to deviate from the shc when there is a more +EV move to make then the shc advices

I already know much what was in the video but here are things that I learned from these video's:
      - that is isn't as great idea to isolate a limper which range consist with pretty decent hands like AQ, but rather then limper that range consist out of pocket pairs or speculative hands like suited connecters
      -against 3b from late position it is better to fold according to the shc until we get more information on the opponent then make loose assumcions just because he 3 bet from late position. especially on the micro limits
      -against multiple limpers you shouldn't isolate with suited connectors but rather chose stronger Broadway hands that likely dominate there limping range

@ BogdanPS: when I said plo beginner course I didn't mean beginner as beginning poker player but rather beginning to play plo which obviously would be after you already had some experience in an other form of poker and want to try plo as your second or third game. I still didn't get an answer why there isn't a follow up course after the beginning course though ^^. It seems there would be quite enough more advanced stuff on this site that such a course could be constructed of.
    • sirilidion
      sirilidion
      Silver
      ok, so I watched the podcast of the coaching of the second week. Most I already knew. Some interesting stuff about the implied odds of pocket pairs and got me thinking. So I have a question:

do you think it would be profatable to call a pair where you doesn't quite have 20 times his raise with his pair, but it is clear that he has a very strong hand and thus would be much more likely to stack off if you hit your set then in general and what about an opponent that goes to showdown really light?

It also gave me a nice idea on a training. Namely to sometime try to play less tables without a hud to train in taking notes and picking up reads. I think this also will help my live play that I am doing a lot lately.

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo. :
      44.80% 37.51% 7.29% { AKo }
      55.20% 47.91% 7.29% { 88+, AJs, KQs, AKo }

As for question 2 I find need to reinstall PostgreSQL as it was taking up all the space of my C-disk :( . If somebody knows how If or how I can install it on an other disk I would like to know. Otherwise I need to find a different solution as now I can't get into my HEM at all which makes it more difficult to post a hand.

And I rather would like to find some interesting hand where I deviate from the chart because of specific reads, tells, stats situation etc. then some standard hand.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      I believe you choose where to install PostGresSQL the first time you install it.

If you are using HM I would suggest going to their forums and they will be able to help you out. They are very helpful and knowledgeable there.

The idea you had regarding a "study session" is a good one. I recommend this often.

Calling pairs to set mine in spots where you don't necessarily have the call 20 but think you have more implied odds is usually still borderline (especially as you get farther and farther away from it).

Re: PLO

I see what you meant and I thought that may be the case. I think it would be definitely something interesting but PLO is a beast (where Hold'em is more like a puppy).
    • sirilidion
      sirilidion
      Silver
      I trying to work with HM2. I do finally am able to open HM2 but now I still HM2 hasn't been able to import any hands( and thus no HUD :( ). I have gone through the basic steps what could be wrong and all should work. So I have asked on the HM forum today hope they can help me. But as long as I can't get the software to work I am afraid that I have to postpone any handposting questions till my software works properly.

Haven't had a lot of time this week to go through all the material. So only today I have gone through all the articles of week 3. Some interesting things I learned this week that printing out the articles and look for patterns in them
      put the printouts and notes in a file and revise them in a day or 2
      practice what you learned, by concentrating on fewer tables
      write down random qeustions and ideas work better then my method. Which is read articles, watch videos, go to coachings and adept all those ideas from those sources in my game and when for some reason I am not sure about if my learned patterns are correct I go through the articles, videos and go to coaching's to look if I can find any leaks in my reasoning.

What I don't like about this method is that it cost a lot of paper, ink and space considering how many articles there are here ^^. What is good about it method imo is that it helps document ideas and helps more coming up with new ideas. So I might give it a try or at least write down any ideas that I got from the articles, Which pretty much was already the thing I was doing here ^^.

the articles also gave me some ideas for trainings: make a detailed schematics how to play pre, flop, turn, river for general play and depending against players styles, multiple opponents, single opponent, deepstacked, shortstackes etc.

- look at hands posted by other users, think about how I would have played them and compare with the judge advise. and if not sure why the judge would play it that way ask his reasoning behind it.

here is my homework of this week :

Qeustion 1:
      nl.pokerstrategy.com
      Board: Js5d3s
      Equity Winst Split
      MP2 26.45% 26.45% 0.00% { KsQs }
      MP3 73.55% 73.55% 0.00% { 3d3c }

without analyzing I though it would be close to 30 % with the KQs as a 5 isn't good anymore and the opponent can still hit a boat, but it appears to be even a bit less then that.

Qeustion 2:I would call the extra $ 0.22 since it is only a small raise and a reraise by the opponent on this board looks pretty strong ( like a straight, trips or 2 pair) so if I hit my flush it is likely that he would call a riverbet
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi sirilidion,

You should also check to make sure that the platform you play on saves the hands you play (by default they usually don't).

You don't always have to go with paper+ink. Organizing them in a word file can also work (make your own online notebook).

Congrats on finishing the homework as well.

Best of luck,

Bogdan
    • sirilidion
      sirilidion
      Silver
      So I have been pretty busy this week so haven't got much time looking in to poker. But at least I finally got around watching the week 3 coaching. I did sorta solved the problems with the hud as I decided to keep using HM1 as even after all the suggestions my HM2 still didn't upload any hands. But at least I will now be able to do some of these hand evaluation assignments.

What I have learned is how to make much precise calculations on equity and implied odds with the excel-sheet Veriz used in his training.

My questions though is: where can I get this excels-sheets?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi sirilidion,

I don't think those spread sheets are available.

Before Veriz left PS I think that he did mention that he was not sharing them with others (except in the videos). I may be wrong though but I have personally not seen them anywhere for download.
    • sirilidion
      sirilidion
      Silver
      that is too bad those looked pretty awesome :(
    • sirilidion
      sirilidion
      Silver
      hi, I am back.

Sorry for not responding for so long, but I was very busy lately so hadn't much time to play poker online. I did however played some live poker for the last couple of month with some good success.

I tried to pick up the hands assignments immediately, but appartly you can only post hands now if you are at least silver status so it will still take 1 or 2 days now ^^.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Yes, they have made that change recently so you'll need to either play affiliated and get the level or purchase the level.