This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] 89s vs Pre-flop RR

• jhulmie
      jhulmie
      Bronze
      One of my few wins from this evening.

My question here is should I really be calling re-raises with suited connectors at all? I figured I had position and the SB's stats were pretty tight so reckoned that any 3-bet would be QQ or higher.

I connected exceptionally well with the flop and at the time felt like I was getting pot odds to continue calling for the straight draw. I am concerned that overall plays like this will be losing and I should be just folding pre-flop.

Cheers.

PokerStars - $0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 3 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

SB: 248.5 BB (VPIP: 15.83, PFR: 5.00, 3Bet Preflop: 1.96, Hands: 126)
      BB: 101.5 BB (VPIP: 12.50, PFR: 12.50, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 8)
      Hero (BTN): 72 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 8:diamond: 9:diamond:

Hero raises to 3.5 BB, SB raises to 7 BB, fold, Hero calls 3.5 BB

Flop: (15 BB, 2 players) 7:club: T:club: 8:heart:
      SB bets 6 BB, Hero calls 6 BB

Turn: (27 BB, 2 players) 8:club:
      SB bets 9 BB, Hero calls 9 BB

River: (45 BB, 2 players) 6:diamond:
      SB bets 7 BB, Hero raises to 16 BB, SB calls 9 BB

Hero shows 8:diamond: 9:diamond: (Straight, Ten High) (Pre 21%, Flop 46%, Turn 95%)
      SB mucks K:diamond: K:heart: (Two Pair, Kings and Eights) (Pre 79%, Flop 54%, Turn 5%)
      Hero wins 74.5 BB
  • 4 replies
    • cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      Hi,

pre flop - depending on the sizing you can call his 3bet. for example against a min raise like this we can almost call any2 with the intention of continuing only with we hit trips or better.

flop - ok call here.

turn - i like raising here when we improved. our hand is pretty vulnerable.

river - i dont like the raise here already. we have the one card straight but what worse is calling? the value here is really thin and what are we going to do when he jams over us with his flush/full house?

Thanks
      Cutegoldfish
    • jhulmie
      jhulmie
      Bronze
      So I am OK with calling 3 bets pre-flop with only SC's dependent on bet size?

Is there a particular threshold level here when you would decide that a call is becoming unprofitable?

Cheers again for all the advice.
    • cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      Hi,

there are a few factors which is our hand equity with respect to their hand range and the bet size.

for example if the bet size is small we can call any2, as it gets bigger we want to call hands that are not dominated by his range and have equity and can hit hands that can improve and have many outs.

for example we call hands like 89s AJ+ TT+ but we try to avoid hands like JQo QTo A8o assuming hes 3betting like 10-12%. if hes wider then we can also go wider on our calls.

i think its hard to give u a threshold. it depends on experience but basically in position calling is not a big mistake.

there are a few factors u need to consider though

1. his 3bet size
      2. our hand equity vs his and how many different draws we can hit
      3. his aggression post flop (the lower the better it means we get more free cards)
      4. his WTS and willingness to give up (the more hes willing to give up the better for our bluffs, the more he is less willing to give up the more heavily we can value bet our hands that hit)

Thanks
      Cutegoldfish
    • jhulmie
      jhulmie
      Bronze
      Awesome, thanks.

That is really concise and clear - cheers.