This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] JJ 5bet pot

• summermonkey
      summermonkey
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $5.53 (110.6 bb)
      SB: $5.02 (100.4 bb)
      BB: $11.68 (233.6 bb)
      Hero (UTG): $5.25 (105 bb)
      MP: $12.05 (241 bb)
      CO: $7.87 (157.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J J
      Hero raises to $0.15, 4 folds, BB raises to $0.45, Hero raises to $1, BB raises to $2.20, Hero calls $1.20

Flop: ($4.42) 6 T A (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($4.42) 9 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

River: ($4.42) 4 (2 players)
      BB bets $1, Hero calls $1

Results:
      $6.42 pot ($0.27 rake)
      Final Board: 6 T A 9 4
      BB showed K K and won $6.15 ($2.95 net)
      Hero mucked J J and lost (-$3.20 net)

Villian is 43/36/16.7
      3 questions:
      1.Should I have shoved pre?
      2. Should I bet turn though nothing has changed?
      3.With such a small bet on the river, but his range being so strong, can I find a call here?
  • 2 replies
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      hey summermonkey, here's my 2c
      Originally posted by summermonkey
      3 questions:
      3.With such a small bet on the river, but his range being so strong, can I find a call here?
      1. you should not 4bet JJ if you aren't willing to go broke preflop. if you 4bet and call a 5bet you are just always behind and burning money whenever you do that.
      2. just seeing his preflop line it looks like QQ+ and AK at most, and once he checks flop and turn i think he pretty much always has QQ/KK. if you really think you can make him fold it then maybe consider a bet but you'll probably have to fire river as well i think. that doesnt sound like a very nice spot to be in :D
      3. i think we should just fold and stick to our plan of giving up. it is never a bluff and we beat nothing from his value range.

overall i think the problem here is preflop - you should actually just fold if the alternative is the line you chose. if you really think villain is 3betting you with enough air (which im never giving credit for when he does this vs your utg open) then you could consider calling but it's not exactly a nice plan. definitely best to fold this imo. at most you should just call the 3bet because you have some sort of SDV vs AK or AQ if he even has that. you can also get away quite easily postflop as well.
    • cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DrDunne
      hey summermonkey, here's my 2c
      Originally posted by summermonkey
      3 questions:
      1. you should not 4bet JJ if you aren't willing to go broke preflop. if you 4bet and call a 5bet you are just always behind and burning money whenever you do that.
      2. just seeing his preflop line it looks like QQ+ and AK at most, and once he checks flop and turn i think he pretty much always has QQ/KK. if you really think you can make him fold it then maybe consider a bet but you'll probably have to fire river as well i think. that doesnt sound like a very nice spot to be in :D
      3. i think we should just fold and stick to our plan of giving up. it is never a bluff and we beat nothing from his value range.

overall i think the problem here is preflop - you should actually just fold if the alternative is the line you chose. if you really think villain is 3betting you with enough air (which im never giving credit for when he does this vs your utg open) then you could consider calling but it's not exactly a nice plan. definitely best to fold this imo. at most you should just call the 3bet because you have some sort of SDV vs AK or AQ if he even has that. you can also get away quite easily postflop as well.
      dr dunne got this one spot on. 4betting pre flop isolates against QQ+ AK so we should call his 3bet pre flop and play a pot IP against a weaker range.

thanks
      cutegoldfish