This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] [SH] NL25 A8o river spot - bluffcatching

• Dawidas888
      Dawidas888
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $25.10 (100.4 bb)
      BB: $27.92 (111.7 bb)
      MP: $27.18 (108.7 bb)
      CO: $39.76 (159 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $25 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 8 A
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.50, SB folds, BB calls $0.25

Flop: ($1.10) Q 9 7 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($1.10) 6 (2 players)
      BB bets $0.75, Hero calls $0.75

River: ($2.60) A (2 players)
      BB bets $2, Hero folds

-----

BB was 19/15/0 over 194
      Turn Bets vs Missed CB: 75(4)
      AG% - 19 (6/33/33)

FLOP
      I didn't cbet as the board hits villain calling range quite hard + he didn't seem to 3bet a lot which makes his range even stronger. Therefore, I didn't expect to have the required FE to justify a bet. In addition to that, I couldn't find enough good turn cards for a second barrel.

TURN
      This is one of the best turn cards for my hand and when villain donks it's an easy call as I have good equity + villain may be bluffing as well (not sure how much is this relevant as I will not be able to bluffcatch twice unimproved).

RIVER
      Ace should be perceived as a card that improves my range, but villain is betting regardless. Also, his bet sizing is rather big which leads me to believe that he is not bluffing enough in this spot to justify bluffcatching. I wonder if my fold was a mistake - what hands could villain bluff here with that I beat?

If he checks I'm betting here myself for value vs Qx as I would often bluff here with a naked 8.
  • 3 replies
    • cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      Hi,

call the river as well. hes probably using the river as a bluff pretty often. if he checks i would check back. this board is so connected im not sure if hes folding any pair

Thanks
      Cutegoldfish
    • Dawidas888
      Dawidas888
      Bronze
      Hi Xavier,

Thanks for the evaluation!

What hands do you think he bluffs this way? I assume he wouldn't turn weaker pairs into bluffs OTR (given his low AG%) so besides KJ/JT what worse hands he would bet with? There are quite a lot of value hands though - 2pairs/sets/straights/flushes - as this is a super connected board.

Also, why wouldn't you bet OTR? As you said it yourself, he's not folding any pair and I assume he doesn't have a balanced check/raising range, so we would get value from Qx often enough to bet OTR.

Thanks again!
      David
    • cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      Hellos david!!!

we checked back flop so he could be randomly betting 2 streets with complete air or hands like 6x turned in to bluff or busted spades draw or 8x Tx busted straight.

what i meant if we DID NOT hit the A we should check back and not try to bluff but if we hit the A in this case then we should bet for value, and not just Qx is calling, probably worse is calling too like 9x 7x maybe. ill make the sizing smaller if he checks there isnt much Ax he can have and its not what we are targeting.

Thanks
      Cutegoldfish