How many flops I should be seeing

• 12 replies
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey SnoopyRoman!

First of all a big welcome to the English community of PokerStrategy.com!

Regarding your question I'm afraid the answer is "it depends". If you are a beginner I'd suggest playing a little bit tighter and get some experience in the game. Take a look at this article. In it is a basic starting hands chart. I think for a beginner this is a good way to start off. I used it as well.

Like I said it depends so some people might not agree with me. BogdanPS has a beginners coaching. During this coaching he plays both 6max and 9max. At his 9max tables he usually is much loser then other guys, but he is still crushing.

Now lets talk some numbers. If you say the % of flops you should see is kind of hard to say (for me). But we can talk about VP$P (voluntary put $ in pot) or how often you are willing to put money in the pot. This doesn't mean the hand has seen a flop! When you 3bet someone you have put money in the pot so your VP$P goes up. When he folds the hands didn't see a flop but your VP$P still goes up. Anyway you can play really tight (VP$P: 6) or a more TAG style (VP$P: 16) or even loose (VP$P: 24).

As you can see it's hard to give a correct answer to your question but I gave it a shot. If you have more questions just ask them and I'm sure me and other members will reply to you!

Regards

RasTweet
    • unshpe
      unshpe
      Basic
      32.85%
    • inoimbluffingdou
      inoimbluffingdou
      Basic
      How do you get to that number..it's great that you have it
    • Jmm256
      Jmm256
      Basic
      You want to be playing a higher percentage of hands in late position than you do in early position.
      Somewhere between 5-12% from early position seems about right, and playing about 30-40% when you make it all the way around to the button should be a good start.
      The more comfortable you feel with your post-flop play the higher a percentage you can play.
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by RasTweet
      Hey SnoopyRoman!

First of all a big welcome to the English community of PokerStrategy.com!

Regarding your question I'm afraid the answer is "it depends". If you are a beginner I'd suggest playing a little bit tighter and get some experience in the game. Take a look at this article. In it is a basic starting hands chart. I think for a beginner this is a good way to start off. I used it as well.

Like I said it depends so some people might not agree with me. BogdanPS has a beginners coaching. During this coaching he plays both 6max and 9max. At his 9max tables he usually is much loser then other guys, but he is still crushing.

Now lets talk some numbers. If you say the % of flops you should see is kind of hard to say (for me). But we can talk about VP$P (voluntary put $ in pot) or how often you are willing to put money in the pot. This doesn't mean the hand has seen a flop! When you 3bet someone you have put money in the pot so your VP$P goes up. When he folds the hands didn't see a flop but your VP$P still goes up. Anyway you can play really tight (VP$P: 6) or a more TAG style (VP$P: 16) or even loose (VP$P: 24).

As you can see it's hard to give a correct answer to your question but I gave it a shot. If you have more questions just ask them and I'm sure me and other members will reply to you!

Regards

RasTweet
      This +1
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      You should be seeing every flop, as every player on the table is allowed to see the community cards, not just the players involved in the hand.

:coolface:
    • TJtheTJ
      TJtheTJ
      Silver
      Originally posted by metza
      You should be seeing every flop, as every player on the table is allowed to see the community cards, not just the players involved in the hand.

:D :facepalm:
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Gold
      Originally posted by metza

[ ] Solid advice
    • thazar
      thazar
      Silver
      not a lot I guess.

games in FR are generally fairly tight. It will depends on how passive and stationy your opponents are at your limits but otherwise you will fold a high percentage and win or fold a good proportion pre.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Not that my stats are representative of what is best, but your question got me curious.

My vpip/pfr is 22/18 over 43K hands at my current room

I saw the flop 14.4 % of all hands.
      Of the hands where vpip = true I won 81% of hands that I did not see the flop.

I won 18% of all hands.

I think that what matters is not how often you see the flop, but how and why you saw the flop.

The critical steps:
        You should be open-raising the proper hands for your position and your playing style. (tight / loose / standard)
        You should be reacting to the open raiser (fold, call, 3Bet) with cards appropriate for your position and villains style of play

The better your post-flop skills, the more flops you can profitably see.
      If you're just going to fold post-flop, save your money and fold pre.

Know when you enter a pot what your plan of action is with various flop textures. On the flop, plan your turn and river (unless you are folding the flop ofc)

Check out the strategy articles:
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1568/
      and
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1565/
      If you haven't already.

have you done the NL Beginner's course?

Best of luck,
      --VS
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      All of them. Unless your blind, then none of them.
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Don't make me spray!! :s_evil: