lasttime23

• lasttime23
      lasttime23
      Bronze
      Short introduction
      Hi, my name is Mantas. I'm from Lithuania. I'm playing poker for about one year now with big breaks. But still somehow lose at nl2. Now I decided to study had and start to win. About few weeks I came back after another big break and deposited 10$ on PokerStars. After about a week of grinding I have now 20$. Now I'll study hard. That wasn't the best introduction :D
      Homework #1
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? (Be as vague or specific as you want with this one, but try to think of all the reasons and elaborate on them.)
      My motivation for poker is to make some money and to have fun at the same time. I love that feeling when I beat a player and win money from them. I'm a competitive person. I always like to compete with others.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? (What are the mistakes you know you are making during your games? Are you playing while you're tired? Are you tilting easily? Want to see the showdown too much? Write down as many as you think are affecting you.)
      Calling of curiosity. I know that I'm beat but I still want to see what he has. Sometimes when I lose some money I become crazy. I start to bluff alot, trying to win my money back.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive? (Describe in your own words what playing tight aggressive is and why does it work.)
      Tight means not playing every hand. It means playing only strong hands and just fold trash that means you often will have the best hand. Aggressive means that you want to be the one that raise and bets rather than the one who just call and checks, because when you show aggression opponents have to make decisions under pressure which causes them to make more mistakes. At poker you win by making less mistakes then your opponents. That's why tight aggressive style is so good.

And sorry if I made some mistakes. English is not my native language.
  • 5 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hello Mantas,

Welcome to the course.

I will be the coach that will help you through your journey.

For more information on each lesson please visit this link: Welcome to the No Limit Beginners Course Forums

Congrats on finishing your first homework. Well done on making it detailed as well.

Keep up the good work !!!

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Bogdan
    • lasttime23
      lasttime23
      Bronze
      Homework #2
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why? (Are there any hands you would play differently? Do you have a problem or question about how a specific hand or hands should be played?)
      I would sometimes raise pocket pairs. Cold call AK. In multiway pots I could play looser. Call with suited connectors, one gappers etc.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. ( Post your hand in the Hand evaluation forums and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)
      AK pre vs 3bet

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo. ( You can either calculate this yourself or use an equity calculator such as the PokerStrategy.com Equilab.)
      AKo 46.32%
      88+,AJs+,KQs,AKo 53.68%
    • lasttime23
      lasttime23
      Bronze
      Homework #3

Question 0: Download and install the Equilab. (You can download the Equilab for free here: PokerStrategy.com Equilab.)

DONE

Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53? (Tip: you can use the Equilab to help you with this task.)

Preflop

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    48.75%  48.36%   0.39% { KQs, KQo }
      MP3    51.25%  50.86%   0.39% { 33 }

Post flop

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2     3.72%   3.72%   0.00% { KQs, KQo }
      MP3    96.28%  96.28%   0.00% { 33 }

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand? (Remember that it is important to explain your reasons, simply posting "Fold" or "Call" isn't enough!)
      No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)
      Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24
      Preflop: Hero is CO with A :club: J :club:
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.
      Flop: ($0.25) 2 :club: 6 :diamond: 3 :diamond: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: ($0.25) 5 :club: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

The pot is 0.25+0.22+0.44=0.91 and we need to invest 0.22 more, so we're getting 0.91 to 0.22 pot odds, simplified 4.3 to 1.
      We have 9 outs for flush, but it's likely that opponent has a set so we need to discount 2 outs 6 :club: and 3 :club: . We have 7 clean outs, so we need 6 to 1 pot odds for this call to be profitable. Implied pot odds come handy there. We need 0.41 more for pot odds to be 6 to 1. Opponent is aggresive and seems to have strong hand. So we can CALL here.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. (Post your hand in the hand evaluation forum and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)

44 on draw heavy board unraised pot.
    • lasttime23
      lasttime23
      Bronze
      Homework #4
      Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop. (Post your hand in the Hand evaluation board, and provide a link to your hand in your private thread.)
      Nl2 JJ second pair river call
      Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members. (Choose a hand from the Hand evaluation board and post your own evaluation in the thread. Post a link to the hand you have evaluated in your private thread. You can evaluate as many hands as you want, but try to choose hands not yet evaluated by other users.)
      NL10-KTs
      I tried to evaluate this hand. That was my first time ever. :D
      Question 3: You are on the flop with KQ. The board cards are J, 9, 8, and your opponent holds 77. What is your equity in this spot?

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      MP3    58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Mantas,

It looks like you are keeping busy :)

Well done with homework #2-#4. Congrats !

Good analysis on the hand example in homework #3. Keep in mind that while we can discount some outs because it may pair the board the opponent does not always have sets (and in fact in this case he may rarely have them).

Keep up the good work.

Bogdan