[NL2-NL10] NL10 SH Zoom - 72s

• TJtheTJ
      TJtheTJ
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BTN): $14.07 (140.7 bb)
      SB: $10 (100 bb)
      BB: $10 (100 bb)
      UTG: $10.25 (102.5 bb)
      MP: $13.89 (138.9 bb)
      CO: $20.57 (205.7 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 2 7
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, SB folds, BB calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.45) A J 3 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.30, BB calls $0.30

Turn: ($1.05) A (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

River: ($1.05) Q (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.75, BB calls $0.75

SB seems to be a nit over a small sample, 11/7 over 57 hands.
      BB is unknown.

Questionable open pre, but considering I have a nit in the SB I think I have pretty decent fold equity here. Might be a touch too loose though.

I'm not sure if I like my flop cbet either. The flop connects pretty well with his calling range I think. Ax, Jx and broadways are never folding here, flush draws aren't folding here. So I'm hoping to fold out his suited connector type hands that didn't hit a flush draw, and his smaller pocket pairs. I think this board hits him a bit too hard to justify a cbet here.

When he calls my flop bet, I don't think he's going to fold anything that he wanted to call the flop with on this Turn card. So I decided to just give up.

As played, on the river when he checks again I don't expect him to have much of a strong hand. If he had a flush here himself, he would've bet himself. If he had an A here, he probably would've bet himself as well. If he has a J, it's going to be very tough for him to find a call here most of the time. So I think I'm going to get a fold here fairly often. However I have no info on villain so this might be a bit ambitious.

Overall I'm not too happy with the way I played this hand.

Thoughts?
  • 4 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hey Tino,

I don't like the cbet at all. Raising such a weak hand is with the purpose of stealing the blinds and the only continue in somewhat favourable situation for us. This I really dislike, it basically breaks the preflop plan for the hand and ends up making it -EV overall. On the river, villain has quite a few hands to call with imo.. KQ, QT calls all the time, Jx probably still doesn't fold so don't see your FE there.
    • TJtheTJ
      TJtheTJ
      Bronze
      Agreed, it's pretty spewy :facepalm:

I think I overestimated the amount of hands he can really fold here on the river. Since he has a ton of broadways in his range, the Qd actually hits him pretty well. Hands like KQ/QT get showdown value now. All other draws complete, etc. So I definitely agree I should just check back.

Would it make any difference at all if it would be, say, a 5 of diamonds instead? Where all his broadway draws brick and there's more hands he can fold now? Or would it still be better to just not invest any more?
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      5d is better to bluff for sure. Just don't get into the habit of betting no equity and then looking for spots to just put in more money. The truth is you should not invest any money postflop, that is the highest general EV. There will be some runouts and villain actions that still allow you to profit but not enough. You need the turn and river to brick genrally and also your opponent to check. Not happening often enough.
    • TJtheTJ
      TJtheTJ
      Bronze
      Makes sense. Thanks! :f_thumbsup: