When to move up

• Jmm256
      Jmm256
      Basic
      Hi, I'm a sit and go player and I have never really known the best time to move up.

I think you should be consistently beating the level at a certain ROI before moving up rather than make a certain amount.

What do you guys think is a reasonable ROI at a certain stake before you think you should be good enough to beat the stake above, eg 8% ROI at a $15 18man table should mean you should be able to beat the $30 18mans...or summat like that
  • 2 replies
    • BarryCarter
      BarryCarter
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      No idea about ROIs in these games these days, but I like to think of moving up as a mission to gather information, rather than an absolute.

Why don't you set aside some buy-ins you can afford to lose with a stop loss, then go into the games with the specific intention of taking notes about how the regs play and what you need to work on to beat these levels? So your aim right now it is not to make money, it is to identify where you will need to improve to stay at the new level.

This way one of two things happens. You lose, but you still get something out of the experience and have a really good roadmap of what to do next. Or you win, ship some mad $$$$$ and still probably learn some valuable lessons.
    • Boomer2k10
      Boomer2k10
      Bronze
      So much about moving up is based on personal preference

If you are someone who is comfortable moving up and down stakes constantly then you can always been a little more adventurous

If you don't rely on poker for an income you also don't need the absolute stability a massive bankroll gives you

However on the flip side of the coin, do you tilt easily? Is it a lot of money for you when moving up?

There are a lot of questions that you need to answer for yourself before you change stakes.

The most basic answer that I can really give is "When you think you're ready" and really only you can determine that by asking yourself the right questions.