[NL2-NL10] NL10 A8o freeplay, flop top pair with a paired board

• rowzee
      iPoker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (9 handed) - iPoker Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

MP1 ($10)
      MP2 ($1.80)
      MP3 ($12.98)
      CO ($2.35)
      Button ($12.42)
      SB ($8.40)
      Hero (BB) ($1.85)
      UTG ($1.55)
      UTG+1 ($9.90)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:spade: , 8:club:
      2 folds, MP1 (poster) checks, 2 folds, CO calls $0.10, 1 fold, SB calls $0.05, Hero checks

Flop: ($0.40) 3:club: , 3:diamond: , 8:spade: (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.25, MP1 raises $0.50, 2 folds, Hero folds

Total pot: $0.90 | Rake: $0.04

Results in white below:
      MP1 didn't show
      Outcome: MP1 won $1.11

So, what should be done in such situations? I know I cannot count the pair on the board towards my hand, but still I've flopped the top pair. Should I have bet the flop? Check/fold? How about treating the minraise? The raiser came in the hand with posting a voluntary blind, so he could literally have anything or nothing.
  • 5 replies
    • Kimber88
      It's a tough choice imo. All limpers and a pair on the board.

I think his raise is weak and I would call it. If he had the 3 I would've expected him to force you all in, since you're short stack. If that was the case I would've folded. But in this case I would've called.

• Gerv
      The Options are:

Fold : Safe and minimal losses so an OK option
      Call followed up by a Check : Weak betting pattern so out of option
      Call followed up by a Shove : Opponent can fold because his minraise looks weak

Push All-in : Now you really know what he has, if he calls you only beat Bluffs & Pocket pairs under 8 , if he folds - note him down

I would reraise it to $1.5 = an All-in because I think your ahead in this situation, if not so be it ;)
    • DaPhunk
      I've seen many opponents slow play trips and hardly ever make a bet when they hit a hand like this. However this half pot size bet really makes it look like this guy wants you to call.

I think we need to be confident villain would not just bet trips but other hands as well, and i think he would to such an extent that the bet makes it less likely he has trips.

Without knowing anything about the opponent i assume he's an idiot who hasn't hit anything better than me and i would shove but on the higher limits i might fold if i don't Know he's an idiot and not holding an overpair.

I like the idea of a shove basically but in certain situations thats gonna be the wrong move.
    • rowzee
      Thank you all for responses. Now I'm more inclined to think that I should have shoved on the flop based on the fact that he just joined the table and paid the voluntary BB - the minraise could mean alot of things (trapping, weak bluff), however, I'm inclined to think that I'm most likely ahead just because he played with two random cards.
    • ysessa
      mp1 is a co poster so he can easily hold a 3 and min raises are very often monsters so a fold is safe, but a push is definitely not wrong. when you dont like variance then fold, when you want maximum value push.