This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL10 A8o freeplay, flop top pair with a paired board

• rowzee
      rowzee
      Bronze
      iPoker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (9 handed) - iPoker Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

MP1 ($10)
      MP2 ($1.80)
      MP3 ($12.98)
      CO ($2.35)
      Button ($12.42)
      SB ($8.40)
      Hero (BB) ($1.85)
      UTG ($1.55)
      UTG+1 ($9.90)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:spade: , 8:club:
      2 folds, MP1 (poster) checks, 2 folds, CO calls $0.10, 1 fold, SB calls $0.05, Hero checks

Flop: ($0.40) 3:club: , 3:diamond: , 8:spade: (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.25, MP1 raises $0.50, 2 folds, Hero folds

Total pot: $0.90 | Rake: $0.04

Results in white below:
      MP1 didn't show
      Outcome: MP1 won $1.11

So, what should be done in such situations? I know I cannot count the pair on the board towards my hand, but still I've flopped the top pair. Should I have bet the flop? Check/fold? How about treating the minraise? The raiser came in the hand with posting a voluntary blind, so he could literally have anything or nothing.
  • 5 replies
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      It's a tough choice imo. All limpers and a pair on the board.

I think his raise is weak and I would call it. If he had the 3 I would've expected him to force you all in, since you're short stack. If that was the case I would've folded. But in this case I would've called.

Cheers,
      Kimber88
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      The Options are:

Fold : Safe and minimal losses so an OK option
      Call followed up by a Check : Weak betting pattern so out of option
      Call followed up by a Shove : Opponent can fold because his minraise looks weak

Push All-in : Now you really know what he has, if he calls you only beat Bluffs & Pocket pairs under 8 , if he folds - note him down

I would reraise it to $1.5 = an All-in because I think your ahead in this situation, if not so be it ;)
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      I've seen many opponents slow play trips and hardly ever make a bet when they hit a hand like this. However this half pot size bet really makes it look like this guy wants you to call.

I think we need to be confident villain would not just bet trips but other hands as well, and i think he would to such an extent that the bet makes it less likely he has trips.

Without knowing anything about the opponent i assume he's an idiot who hasn't hit anything better than me and i would shove but on the higher limits i might fold if i don't Know he's an idiot and not holding an overpair.

I like the idea of a shove basically but in certain situations thats gonna be the wrong move.
    • rowzee
      rowzee
      Bronze
      Thank you all for responses. Now I'm more inclined to think that I should have shoved on the flop based on the fact that he just joined the table and paid the voluntary BB - the minraise could mean alot of things (trapping, weak bluff), however, I'm inclined to think that I'm most likely ahead just because he played with two random cards.
    • ysessa
      ysessa
      Basic
      mp1 is a co poster so he can easily hold a 3 and min raises are very often monsters so a fold is safe, but a push is definitely not wrong. when you dont like variance then fold, when you want maximum value push.