To the coaches

• 40 replies
    • dannywratten
      dannywratten
      Bronze
      What makes you think that the coaches don't also play?
    • hvard92
      hvard92
      Bronze
      I guess they play. But why don't they play full time if their so good? I don't know how much they get paid tho. And why are some fulltime and some not btw?
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hi

Generally coaches do play full time! Certainly most coaches on PokerStrategy.com play full time.

Variance free money is good though.

Lets take Aaron Lambert, he just had a baby, he plays MTTs which are super high variance. With videos he can guarantee an income and keep his wife happy!
    • Maloco87
      Maloco87
      Bronze
      I would assume coaches play, if they didn't how could they coach, as they would fall behind. Being a coach and getting paid is a more steady income like pleno1 has said, nd if nothing else at least pays the bills while you grind out extra cash by playing
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      For me it adds a bit of variety and I get to know some interesting people as well. The variance free $$ is also nice ofc but overall it's a nice experience to coach/teach.
    • hvard92
      hvard92
      Bronze
      Ok. But even tho the game is getting tougher. Is poker still gonna be profitable? I'm thinking about all the players who study nowadays and becomes better and better. If i ever become just as good as a coach forexample within 2 years or something. Am i able to make money or is my bankroll just gonna break even?
    • JCSeerup
      JCSeerup
      Bronze
      Originally posted by hvard92
      Ok. But even tho the game is getting tougher. Is poker still gonna be profitable? I'm thinking about all the players who study nowadays and becomes better and better. If i ever become just as good as a coach forexample within 2 years or something. Am i able to make money or is my bankroll just gonna break even?
      You will always be able to find some kind of poker game which are profitable, maybe NLHE will die out, but there still are Omaha, Chinese etc.
    • hvard92
      hvard92
      Bronze
      So if my goal is to make money of poker. I just waste my time studying?
    • hvard92
      hvard92
      Bronze
      I ment to say this:

So if my goal is to make money of NLHE. I just waste my time studying?
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Edges get smaller until at one point they stay the same and winrates stabilize. People always compare to like 2005 when anyone that knew to not play crap and bet their big hands made >$100k. Ofc that is not happening anymore. This doesn't mean the game styles won't change and that you can win by playing exactly the same.

You also have to think how much money you want to make. If you want to make $1 billion, you should not try with poker imo. :f_biggrin: If you want to make millions, you have to be one of the best. If you want to make $2-3k/month, it will always be a solid choice imo.
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      I ment to say this:

So if my goal is to make money of NLHE. I just waste my time studying?
      No youre not wasting your time :)
    • hvard92
      hvard92
      Bronze
      I am relieved to know that i'm at least not wasting my time on this =) . I'm really trying hard to achieve this. Only time will tell tho. I have some personal problems with my family that i'm not shure if i can say on the forum and that is probably giving me some extra boost to learn and that's why i needed to know this. It probably sounds crazy and desperate but this is just a small part of why i'm playing poker. I really love the game and i can't see myself ever become tired of this game. Thanks guys.
    • hvard92
      hvard92
      Bronze
      You also have to think how much money you want to make. If you want to make $1 billion, you should not try with poker imo. If you want to make millions, you have to be one of the best. If you want to make $2-3k/month, it will always be a solid choice imo.

I assume you make $2-3k/month then. This is probably a very obvious thought but i ask it anyway. Instead of making 2-3k month and withdrawal it. Why not withdrawal less so you can build up your bankroll until you reach the higher limits and withdrawal maybe like 5-10k month instead or continue with less withdrawals until you get rich?=P
    • belthazorrrr
      belthazorrrr
      Bronze
      having bigger roll doesnt mean ou can beat higher limits
    • serverm07
      serverm07
      Basic
      It's an interesting topic that has arises fairly often of course. Different people have different opinions on the topic. A lot of people take the point of view that either the coach is overpriced and not skilled enough to teach at that level or the coach is very good and shouldn't coach at all because its not beneficial for him to coach.

I think here at PS everyone is pretty honest about what stakes they play and what their skill level is like. I don't think I have ever seen anyone have a passion for coaching as much as pleno though. And kind off topic but I recently got into golf and spent many days hitting balls at the range and doing it all wrong and fucked up. I decided ok I just get a PGA pro to teach me a few things, obv he is not going to magically turn me into the next tiger woods, but he helped me stop making the same mistakes I kept making and start practicing some things.

Same thing with poker, say you are some 10nl grinder who picked up poker and learned you know tight is right etc, so then you know you come here and someone like Emanuel helps you come up with some ranges, you put a lot of work into it and grind your way up to 50nl then 100nl, then you decide I'm going to crush midstakes, this is when you go to pleno or Internet and next thing you know you are crushing 200nl and 400nl.
    • oblioo
      oblioo
      Coach
      Coach
      My hourly playing is significantly higher than what I charge per hour coaching, but I enjoy teaching; variety is nice, as is variance-free income.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      You also have to think how much money you want to make. If you want to make $1 billion, you should not try with poker imo. If you want to make millions, you have to be one of the best. If you want to make $2-3k/month, it will always be a solid choice imo.

I assume you make $2-3k/month then. This is probably a very obvious thought but i ask it anyway. Instead of making 2-3k month and withdrawal it. Why not withdrawal less so you can build up your bankroll until you reach the higher limits and withdrawal maybe like 5-10k month instead or continue with less withdrawals until you get rich?=P
      It makes no sense to move up in stakes where you lose money. Having a certain amount of money doesn't mean you should play higher. It also doesn't mean that I spend all that I don't have on the poker room where I play. When using poker winnings as income, whether you play full time or part time, you don't just use X BIs and then the rest gets spewed away on something else.

And to answer the more interesting question about getting rich: I have other plans there. :D
    • hvard92
      hvard92
      Bronze
      And to answer the more interesting question about getting rich: I have other plans there. :D

Interesting :) Do you have plans on getting rich through poker?
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      No, very hard to get truly rich from money in poker. But poker is a great starting point: you make some money, you meet some people and you go from there. :)