Lack of discipline, concentration

• RockEye
      RockEye
      Bronze
      I am having a following problem. When i start playing poker, i am calm and concentrated. I am ussually winning, doubling my bankroll. But after hour or so, i start making errors, pushing my stack too loose and i lose all i earned in last hour.
      Do i lack discipline or concentration?
      The result of all this is that i am going nowhere. Neither down, nor up. As much as i earn, i lose too.
      What i'd really like to know is how do you guys control yourselfs. I ussually play with 4 tables and i can handle them without any problem.
      I'd be too bored if played one table.
  • 11 replies
    • slikec
      slikec
      Global
      On your place i would play one hour and take a break for half an hour and than if fell like play another hour ;)
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Hi Rockeye,

as slikec mentioned: the solution is taking breaks. Play 1 or 2 hours, as long as you feel focused and concentrated. When you mention that you are not 100% at playing poker but watching tv beside or something else, take your break. Take a break of at least 1 hour and do nothing that belongs to poker. Afterwards play another session. But don't forget to take your time and study the theoretical side of poker like: reading articles, watching videos and posting hands.

One more thing: You say you double your bankroll. How is that possible? If you follow the bankroll management this should not be possible. Make sure you do not risk to loose your whole bankroll due to bad BRM.

Best regards,
      TribunCaesar
    • RockEye
      RockEye
      Bronze
      Yep it seems i need to rest after an hour or so. But i got only 3-4 hrs in the evening to play. :(
      Well better earn something then stay on 0.

I was referring to my poor bankroll at Titan (7€) :D
    • RMB
      RMB
      Bronze
      well maybe you dont leave the table at the right time, if you have doubled up or earned 50% of your buy in, then leave the table and join another one.
    • D0ntBluff
      D0ntBluff
      Bronze
      sometimes I have similar problem. usually my buy-in is $4, so I double up it to about $8 but I start to play with more mistakes then usually, so I lose my profit.
    • Cardbender
      Cardbender
      Bronze
      Just buy a electric shock collar and pay a buddy for a week to shock you every time you make a donky move.

I hope this helps :D
    • RockEye
      RockEye
      Bronze
      Actually i was thinking about inviting my wife to sit with me, so she can slap me when i try to make a stupid move. :D
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by RockEye
      Actually i was thinking about inviting my wife to sit with me, so she can slap me when i try to make a stupid move. :D
      good idea. That could actually work. :D
    • srohack
      srohack
      Bronze
      hi
      another thing that i may add is that you shouldnt think about the money when you are playing . everytime the action comes to you try to be impartial about the money in the pot (that arent yours anymore) and just try to think about the best decision at that moment . As long as you will be taking better decisions then your oposition the results will be seen in your bankroll ( and viceversa ) . When you are up 10 stacks you should be playing like when you are down 10 stacks or you are breaking even . when you arent able to do this anymore is clear that your thought process is not the best it can be and is time to stop playing .
      A thing that happens to a lot of the players is something you can call "wining tilt". you are up a buyin or two and you are actualy tilting ( even you dont realise ) because you keep thinking how much you are up and you dont want to lose your earnings in the session and you start taking non optimal decisions like the one you menssioned in your post .
      gl
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by srohack
      hi
      another thing that i may add is that you shouldnt think about the money when you are playing . everytime the action comes to you try to be impartial about the money in the pot (that arent yours anymore) and just try to think about the best decision at that moment . As long as you will be taking better decisions then your oposition the results will be seen in your bankroll ( and viceversa ) . When you are up 10 stacks you should be playing like when you are down 10 stacks or you are breaking even . when you arent able to do this anymore is clear that your thought process is not the best it can be and is time to stop playing .
      A thing that happens to a lot of the players is something you can call "wining tilt". you are up a buyin or two and you are actualy tilting ( even you dont realise ) because you keep thinking how much you are up and you dont want to lose your earnings in the session and you start taking non optimal decisions like the one you menssioned in your post .
      gl

very good post! I completely agree!

TribunCaesar
    • slikec
      slikec
      Global
      Originally posted by RockEye
      I like the idea :D If you plan to practice it please take it on camera so we can see how playing poker hurts :D