EV Question

• delete461
      There is a weekly poker game in a city 150 km from where I live. 50 players put in $10 each - the payout structure is $250 1st place, $150 and $100 2nd and 3rd. It would cost me about an extra $40 a week to travel there and back - meaning I would have to finish top 3 30% of the time to make it profitable. ($50 to play, average payout $166).

I am told the game is very sociable - players bring their wives who also play, people drinking before and during the game, chatting about football etc - but I have to assume that such a fishy game also attracts a share of serious players who are in it for the money like myself.

My question is this - if the other serious poker players have a skill level similar to my own, how many of them can there be before it becomes unprofitable for me?
  • 4 replies
    • Snodreliss
      I would have played for fun, and don't think so much about making a good profit of it. If you do, ofc it's good. Even though it's many bad players there, dosen't mean you win, they might suckout on you with bad calls ect if it's alot of bad players..

Go and play for the win, but focus on having fun(don't get drunk though..).
    • TribunCaesar
      It really depends on the blind structure imo. The longer the blind levels the more you can use your edge. With short blind levels it will become gambling pretty fast. As Snodreliss said: Go there and play for fun.

Best regards,
    • Sebra
      If you just want to do it for the money: don't go! You have to have >400% ROI to overcome the breakeven point which is very hard even in fishy games.

But I still would go there from time to time. Sounds like a nice place to be to have some fun. Play some cards, drink a beer and just enjoy your life, not everything is about the $$$ That's much more happiness EV for you.
    • TheBrood
      I played a couple of online "top 3 get payed" tourneys. Never again.
      Aces get cracked way before you get to top 3 =/

I go for the top 10% get payed tourneys now