Raising and check/raising the flop

• MarliesB
      MarliesB
      Bronze
      Hello guys,

I'm not sure wether to post it here or in no limit, but here's my problem:
      I don't really know when to raise (IP) and when to check/raise instead of leading out (OOP).

Obviously when I have a monster hand I want to raise, but then with which bluffs or draws do I raise too to balance my range?
      (Here not for example? Nl10 98 210813)

When I'm OOP but with initiative, do I ever check/raise the flop?
      (Nl5 Qj 210813)
      When I'm OOP without initiative, which hands do I lead out, which hands do I check/raise (and do I have a polarized range?)

Thanks.
  • 4 replies
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      hey Marlies, moved it to NL - i think it's more suited to this board :)

about your question, i'm not really "qualified" to answer too much about the balancing thing... but what i will say is that balance is only going to be important when people are exploiting you to the point that you have to defend - who on nl10 is exploiting you to this extent? i say nobody - not enough people to actually notice or make a difference to your gameplan.

im not saying you dont need to incorporate these lines into your game tho... instead of balancing, think of why you might play these ways to exploit people's tendencies. for example someone who cbets ~70% probably has a pretty weak cbetting range so experiment with raising. there will be no right or wrong way to approach this because every villain will have different tendencies and it's your job as the player to figure out a way to exploit them. some things to think about :
      - how do standard regs react when you IP?
      - how do fish react when you raise IP?
      - how do regs react when you checkraise the flop after calling from the blinds?
      - what about fish?

imo the only thing you can do is experiment yourself. make a hm2 marker so you can mark every hand you raise IP for the next few weeks and then go over them all and see what happens. same with checkraising - mark as many hands as possible, post as many as possible for evaluation and then go from there.
    • MarliesB
      MarliesB
      Bronze
      So balancing is not important in micro stakes? Do I play more ABC?
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      exactly! i mean think about why we might want to balance our play... take calling 3bets OOP for example. we might call OOP with AQ and JJ, but what happens when we play against someone observant? they can put us on an exact range and play close to perfectly. so in order to throw them off of that we have to mix in a few hands and call with some combos of AK and QQ+ for example and now all of a sudden we can show up with some really strong hands that they didnt include in our range. but this all suggests we are playing against someone who actually puts us onto a range and pays attention to our tendencies. i just dont think it's necessary to balance unless you have a solid read that someone is paying attention to your play and is good enough to exploit that.

in my own experience, balancing is really unnecessary. the only times i consider it is against some regs who might be half decent AND also in situations that stand out a lot. for example if you 4bet-ship all of your value hands but 4bet to around 23bb with all your bluffs its not gunna be hard for someone who pays attention to figure that out. so in a way we should think about balancing only when in specific situations like that. even that depends on who you play tho, because if we know our opponent isnt paying attention then we dont need to balance, we just play the way that will make us the most money i.e. we play exploitatively.

so in other words play ABC for the most part unless you play against a solid player who pays attention and who can (and will) actually exploit your play. i cant speak for anything higher than nl25, but on nl2-nl10 most people are either fish or weaktight regs who are so focussed on their own game they really dont know what you're doing.

hope that helps!
    • MarliesB
      MarliesB
      Bronze
      Yes I think that helps a lot =)
      I'll try being more ABC for the coming days and see how it works out.