Another Hyper SNG Blog

• BYOBToBBQ
      BYOBToBBQ
      Bronze
      About me:

Hi, I'm a 18 years old guy and I live in Switzerland, more precisely in Geneva. I'm a student and I have very good grades (level highschool) although i don't work very hard at school, so I got plenty of times to play poker and improve my game. I'm kind of a geek, like a have some nerdy hobbies (Warhammer 40k, Mobas, FPS), but i also love to spend time with my friends and party hard. I'm also a huge football fan and was a good player until i had to stop playing due to a very bad injury.

How I came to play poker:

It all started during the sommer 2012. I was on a trip with my friends in Europa Park and one night we played poker ( play money). I already knew the rules since i was 10 (my brother thaught me) but i didn't find the game interesting at all and thought it was all about luck. So I never really played again until Europa Park and after this homegame I realised that there was more skill involved in it than luck. I was also seeking a job to make my self some pocket money and decided to give poker a try.

So i began on 888 poker and went busto pretty quickly. I then started playing freerolls and remade my 8$ roll and then tilted it away in one session. After this epic session i had 0.24¢ left and i entered a 0.08¢ R/A satellite, with the intention of busting it away and end my short lived poker carreer.

BUT I had the run of my life and I won my seat to the next round and then managed to win 12.50$ ( the seat was worth 15$). A few days later I cashed BIG in a freeroll again( 15$ :f_cool: ) and had 30$ in my bankroll.

Then I played CG for 4 or 5 month as a BE player (I was a huge tight passive fish). After one night where I lost 8$ at the NL 2 tables (Isildur's swings are nothing compared to that :D ) I started playing the 6 max Hyper Turbos and finally found my way. Since April 2013 (first month where i played regularly and set myself goals) I managed to earn a 110$ bankroll, enough to play the 1$ HT comfortably.

The Plan:

So now I'm playing the 1$ HT on 888 poker, wich are super fishy. I Think I could easily maintain a 10% ROI in them, although the rake is huge (10%) and that it's hyper turbo structure.

I want to grow my bankroll up to 300$ and then move to pokerstars and start playing the 3.5 hyper HU sng (i think there is more money to be made in HU hyper than in any other form of SNGs). My goal is to be playing the 30$ ones in December.

As I said I have plenty of time to play poker ( more than 150 hours per month) because I'm a student, so with the right attitude it should be doable.

The problem is that i have no clue of how to play a HU sng, so I will have to start from 0.

My dream would be to go pro in exactly one year. I want to earn atleast 20k per month (post RB included).

I'm doing this blog to keep track of my results and to keep me motivated. I'll try to update it as often as possible.

Gl errbody,

BYO

P.S.: sorry if my english sucks, it's not my native language :D
  • 68 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, BYOBToBBQ

Welcome to the blogs!

Wow ! You waited a year to make your first post -- but what a post!

It sounds like you have definite ideas on what you want to accomplish and a plan to get there.

All the best...
      --VS

BTW, your English is fine.
    • leshkopoker
      leshkopoker
      Bronze
      Hi BYOBToBBQ,
      I have similar story to yours. However, I am playing HU SNG(hypers) and trying to improve. I play on ipoker and hopefully I can reach 40$ level by new year. I'm also a student, so I usually have plenty of time to grind. If you're up for discussion or sweat PM me or comment below.

Good luck at the tables
    • daun666
      daun666
      Bronze
      sorry to tell you this but you are wasting your time, 10% rake is not huge its unbeatable.
      For hu hypers stars/ftp is the way to go.
    • xxInspectorxx
      xxInspectorxx
      Bronze
      Originally posted by daun666
      sorry to tell you this but you are wasting your time, 10% rake is not huge its unbeatable.
      I though he said he is playing 6max HTs but plans to play HUHY at stars when he reaches his BR goal $300. But yea without RB its quite insane to play 10% Rake games like daun666 said.

I play the Shortstack superturbo DoNs at iPoker and atm grinding away at $2.2 I don't know your volume on those 6max HTs but there is more variance in them than in DoNs and the 10% roi is not sustainable. As there will be swings ahead. and then the 10% rake is gonna kill you.

As you can see from this example graph from my blog Hypers/supers are brutal on EV sometimes. I am also tad worried about your idea of starting HUSNG from 0 by playing $3.5 hyper with 85BI BR. Swings on those are even worse than on DoNs so you could be in on a wild ride that will wreck your roll. I´d suggest you start with the turbos and then move to hypers somewhere between $350-400..

Though first you have to get to the $300 on Pacific.

GLGL! Will be following.

Also your English is fine!
    • BYOBToBBQ
      BYOBToBBQ
      Bronze
      Wow ! You waited a year to make your first post -- but what a post!

Yeah I know, but I don't think anyone would read a blog about a bad CG player or a 0.11 HT player :D

No not at all. I've played the 0.11 (with 9% rake or something like that), with a ROI of 15% without running above EV. I definitely think the 1$ are beatable with such a high ROI (10%). The level on 888 poker is just awful, nobody knows about ICM and they are either loose aggro far far too tight.

And I don't have RB. (ah yeah 2% :D )

(btw I like your blog :f_biggrin: )

As you can see from this example graph from my blog Hypers/supers are brutal on EV sometimes. I am also tad worried about your idea of starting HUSNG from 0 by playing $3.5 hyper with 85BI BR.

Nah I'm not gonna start from 0, I'm learning 2 hours every day hyper HUSNG (read articles, watch videos etc...). Also I have a 20$ on WH and I plan to play there the turbos HUSNG ( the 1.05 ones )just to have some experience before going on pokerstars.

And don't worry, I'm used to the swings of the 6 max hyper, so it's no problem. I'm tilt-proof :D .

I have similar story to yours. However, I am playing HU SNG(hypers) and trying to improve. I play on ipoker and hopefully I can reach 40$ level by new year. I'm also a student, so I usually have plenty of time to grind. If you're up for discussion or sweat PM me or comment below.

That would be awesome if you could teach me 1 or 2 things. However I don't think I will to help you improve your game in HUSNG's as I'm a total beginner. So you would just coach me or I would just sweat you :( . If it's still okay for you.

Doing my first session on the 1$ hypers, I'll tell you if I got owned by the rake :D
    • daun666
      daun666
      Bronze
      ok, my fault, missed that its 6-max :D
      gl
    • leshkopoker
      leshkopoker
      Bronze

That would be awesome if you could teach me 1 or 2 things. However I don't think I will to help you improve your game in HUSNG's as I'm a total beginner. So you would just coach me or I would just sweat you :( . If it's still okay for you.

Doing my first session on the 1$ hypers, I'll tell you if I got owned by the rake :D

Contact me on [Edited by VorpalF2F: For privacy reasons, and for your own personal safety, we discourage members posting contact information in posts. Please connect using the community tools]
    • BYOBToBBQ
      BYOBToBBQ
      Bronze
      Contact me on [Edited by VorpalF2F: For privacy reasons, and for your own personal safety, we discourage members posting contact information in posts. Please connect using the community tools]

Okay I'll do it tomorrow, right now I'm just going to sleep (tired because I was swimming all day at the pool). Really looking forward to learn from you :D

As you can see everything went well and I'm pretty happy about the way i played (first time I played since June). Yet I think that a 30% ROI is faaaaar too high even if I run under EV.

And it's obviously Lol sample.

I just 2 tabled today as it was the first time I played poker since a long time and I plan to do that tomorrow too. Then I'll 4 table and try to 6 table as soon as possible (was 6 tabling the 0.11$)

BYO
    • BYOBToBBQ
      BYOBToBBQ
      Bronze
      Okay so poker as gone splendidly these day. Here is the graph for ya :

So I'm so happy of my results right now. I started 4 tabling so in 2 or 3 days I'm gonna reach my full potential and start 6 tabling. These games are so easy to beat ;D.

Also I went to a couple of huge parties these days which were fucking awsome, so it's good for the mindset to have something else than poker in your life :D

leshkopoker. I pmed you :f_cool: ready to sweat ya
    • BYOBToBBQ
      BYOBToBBQ
      Bronze
      So did another 100 games since my epic run, couldn't do more as school started and had to buy stuff. I think i'll stick to 4 tabling and never go to 6 tabling, as I didn't know I would have had a 15% ROI and also I'll hopefully switch to HU hypers by mid September and it's more confortable for me. Right know my BR is at 140$ and pennies with a 10$ bonus soon to be cleared (tomorrow).

I would like to play at least 500 games for august with a 14 - 15% ROI. If I achieve to do so, I would have 200$ in my BR. I would also like to achieve a minimum of 80 games per day in september.

Also got 2 tickets to those huge 50'000 GTD freerolls, and playing the 0.01 $ satellites everyday (top 100 get a free ticket) in order to play them all. I hope I can mincash once (30$ -20$).

Did I say that I ran bad? :D It's perfectly fine as my EV line keeps going up and up. Right now just 10 BI under EV, I've already seen worse in my short career :f_cool: .

• xxInspectorxx
      xxInspectorxx
      Bronze
      I think you might be wrong about runnin under EV. You are mixing up two types of info here. There is the greenline showing your winnings in $ aka your C worth. Then you have red blue and yellow showing your chip accumulations. You have won 42k chips at showdown and 18k chips without showdown = 60k chips won. Your chip EV is 40k so your running 20k chips above EV over 280 tourneys. In HM2 there is a value called luck adjusted winnings that shows you what your $EV is vs your $ won. If you find that and filter it to your graph you will see you are most likely on a small heater. What is even more difficult on looking at chip values is the amount of increasing blinds and bigger pots later on compare to early game pots.

Not to be a dick but something you should realise before you proceed onwards so you are not thinking man, am on a bad run when you are actually not. 14-15% roi is just about achievable on a 500 game heater on 6max hypers but you are looking somewhere aroung 2-4% of roi in a longrun on those even with bad opponents when you get into that bad run not the most likely heater you are on atm.

Anywhoo keep on crushing!
    • BYOBToBBQ
      BYOBToBBQ
      Bronze
      I think you might be wrong about runnin under EV. You are mixing up two types of info here. There is the greenline showing your winnings in $ aka your C worth. Then you have red blue and yellow showing your chip accumulations. You have won 42k chips at showdown and 18k chips without showdown = 60k chips won. Your chip EV is 40k so your running 20k chips above EV over 280 tourneys. In HM2 there is a value called luck adjusted winnings that shows you what your $EV is vs your $ won. If you find that and filter it to your graph you will see you are most likely on a small heater. What is even more difficult on looking at chip values is the amount of increasing blinds and bigger pots later on compare to early game pots.

Thank you really! So here is the true graph:

Hehe 7% adjusted ROI instead of 15% :D So I guess I'll have to 6 table really soon in order to put the volume required. Funny because I played the 0.11 HT (over 3'000 games) with a 14% ROI, and the level is almost the same. Np thanks for pointing that out.

What is even more difficult on looking at chip values is the amount of increasing blinds and bigger pots later on compare to early game pots

This I've already noticed it :D
    • BYOBToBBQ
      BYOBToBBQ
      Bronze
      So I finished to play the 6 max HT on 888.com. My roll is now 150.

I started to play the hypers on William Hill with my 20$ roll. The goal is to train there and acquire the basics and rake 15$, so I can withdraw it and add it to my main bankroll. It would be awesome if I could add earn 10 or 15$ more bucks. Then I will deposit all on pokerstars and begin at the 1.5$

As you can see on this graph I suck. Big time :D

Uploaded with ImageShack.com
    • BYOBToBBQ
      BYOBToBBQ
      Bronze
      Long time no update, so:

Last 10 days I spent studying hyper turbos 2-3 hours a day, watching videos and all the stuff. I also played the ipoker super turbos HUSNG and here's the graph:

Yeh I sucked hard :D but I learned a lot and I can now withdraw the roll I had there. The bad thing is, as I lost some money, the whole thing will only make me around 5$. But whatever.

I moved to pokerstars with my 150$ roll and I plan on playing 70 Hyper HUSNGs every day and try to move to 2 tabling in 10 days or so. I'll also continue to study. I played my first 30 games few moments ago and everything went great (4.50$ ev) until I played the 30th game and I kept on getting coolered. Anyway result is i'm only up 2$ Ev-wisely now :D .

I think I will do a lot better on pokerstars than I did on iPoker.

Oh and my pokerstars nickname is W4rm4chine, not BYOBToBBQ.

BYO
    • BYOBToBBQ
      BYOBToBBQ
      Bronze

So first days playing HT HUSNG and it has gone pretty well. I only played 92 games in 3 days because I spent a lot of time reviewing my hands and watching videos :D . Nice to have heather and see that things are finally working my way after my catastrophic days on iPoker.

Here's nice hand

Poker Stars $1.44+$0.06 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t10/t20 Blinds - 2 players - View hand 2305673
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BB: t570 28.50 BBs
      Hero (BTN/SB): t430 21.50 BBs

Pre Flop: (t30) Hero is BTN/SB with K :diamond: 7 :diamond:
      Hero raises to t40, BB calls t20

Flop: (t80) Q :club: Q :spade: 8 :club: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets t40, BB calls t40

Turn: (t160) 5 :heart: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

River: (t160) J :diamond: (2 players)
      BB bets t160, Hero calls t160

I won with my K high (this part doesn't want to appear on the converter :f_p: )

Villain was pretty spazzy and aggro and was floating many paired boards or dry boards. I also didn't put him on a 5 as he probably would have bet it on the turn. I also think I made a mistake not betting the turn after he checks, because that would have made him fold his air. What do you think
    • BYOBToBBQ
      BYOBToBBQ
      Bronze
      Some I'm doing great, reaching goals both ROI wise and volume wise. Here are some funny plays xD :

Poker Stars $1.44+$0.06 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t10/t20 Blinds - 2 players - View hand 2307704

Hero (BTN/SB): t540 27 BBs
      BB: t460 23 BBs

Pre Flop: (t30) Hero is BTN/SB with K :diamond: 6 :spade:
      Hero raises to t40, BB calls t20

Flop: (t80) K :spade: A :spade: J :club: (2 players)
      BB bets t20, Hero calls t20

Turn: (t120) T :heart: (2 players)
      BB bets t40, Hero calls t40

River: (t200) Q :spade: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets t440 all in, BB folds

Final Pot: t200
      Hero wins t200

AND, ladies and gentlement, the play of the day award goes to:

Poker Stars $1.44+$0.06 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t10/t20 Blinds - 2 players - View hand 2307705

Hero (BB): t640 32 BBs
      BTN/SB: t360 18 BBs

Pre Flop: (t30) Hero is BB with 9 :heart: 9 :diamond:
      BTN/SB raises to t80, Hero raises to t640 all in, BTN/SB calls t280 all in

Flop: (t720) K :diamond: 6 :spade: A :club: (2 players - 2 are all in)

Turn: (t720) 4 :club: (2 players - 2 are all in)

River: (t720) Q :heart: (2 players - 2 are all in)

Final Pot: t720
      Hero shows 9 :heart: 9 :diamond: (a pair of Nines)
      BTN/SB shows 4 :spade: 8 :diamond: (a pair of Fours)
      Hero wins t720

:s_o: :s_o: :s_o: :s_o: :s_o: :s_o: :s_o: :s_o: :s_o: :s_o: :s_o: :s_o: :s_o: :s_o:

Gotta love this guy xD
    • BYOBToBBQ
      BYOBToBBQ
      Bronze
      So my free trial version of PT4 ends today so I'll post the final graph for 1.5s HU Hypers:

So can't complain of how it went, played the first day like shit, tilting, then I concentrated myself and stopped making hero calls and making fancy plays. Then 7 days of rungood until today, where I had to cut it short (only 53 games), because I was running like shit and tilting a bit.

God do I hate when villains shove 3 times in a row and then when you finally call his last shove he has AA. :D

Anyway next step is to start 2 tabling

current bankroll is at 180$, 20$ below Ev and 35$ stuck into William Hill account.
    • BYOBToBBQ
      BYOBToBBQ
      Bronze

So tried 2 tabling and was break even, so I decided to keep on 1 tabling for a while. (you can easily see this glorious period on the graph :D )

Problem is that it'll be though to get my silverstar status :( . But I think I still can do it. I will have to play 100 games each day.

I'm pretty happy of my game (even if I get overwhelmed with 2 table so fast it's incredible :f_mad: ), and I find it amazing how much I've progressed, since I only started Hypers HUSNG 20 days ago. I'm also very happy with my volume.

BR is at 222$
    • AlvisR
      AlvisR
      Bronze
      HI, could you show SB graph only? and some stats from SB position? I would appreciate that.

Best regards AlvisR