markcomp

• markcomp
      markcomp
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? (Be as vague or specific as you want with this one, but try to think of all the reasons and elaborate on them.)
      I hope to make poker a (money-making) hobby of mine after i've seen some friends of mine doing quite well over the years.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? (What are the mistakes you know you are making during your games? Are you playing while you're tired? Are you tilting easily? Want to see the showdown too much? Write down as many as you think are affecting you.)
      Until now i have played poker only with playmoney, here i get impatient quickly, this habit probably has no good influence if i start playing for real ;)

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive? (Describe in your own words what playing tight aggressive is and why does it work.)
      Selectively pick the hands that are played; if your hand is good, bet/raise, otherwise fold.
  • 4 replies
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Hey markcomp

Welcome to the beginner's course and welcome to pokerstrategy.com
      Bogdan, your coach will be by in the coming days to check your homework. All the best for the course.

Regards,
      Luke
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hey markcomp,

Congrats on finishing the first homework !!!

Being impatient will definitely have some negative effects on your game so you should look at strategies to combat that (find a proper number of tables to play as well as things to keep you preoccupied without distracting you during play).

Best regards,

Bogdan
    • markcomp
      markcomp
      Bronze
      Thank you! I've started doing NL2 with cash now, and everyone plays a lot more conservative than i expected. Though, i'm currently the maginally in the positive (a few cents). I noticed really most of the time you do not play because of bad cards, and you only win a big pot once in a while.

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why? (Are there any hands you would play differently? Do you have a problem or question about how a specific hand or hands should be played?)
      I have noticed two thing that are weird in the starting hand chart, both at the Suited Face Cards and the Suited cards in sequence. If i'm in middle position and all players fold, i should fold as well but when one player calls i should call. Why is this?

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. ( Post your hand in the Hand evaluation forums and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)
      Yes, i think the raise of 4xBB or reraise of 3xBB seems a bit much, everytime i do this, the other fold; thus not maximizing EV. Do you experience this as well?

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo. ( You can either calculate this yourself or use an equity calculator such as the PokerStrategy.com Equilab.)
      Haven't had a lesson about equity, or have i missed it?
      AKo: 44.84%
      88: 55.16%

Regards,

Mark
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Congrats markcomp

Your second homework is done.

Remember the hand chart is just a start and you can always make changes if they don't make sense.

They tell you that you can call them for implied odds.

You will get called less often with a 4x BB but it's a better raise size at 2-5nl especially from early positions (maximize value).