Losing in MTTs..

• SilverFace
      SilverFace
      Bronze
      I'm a winning player overall, with an %ITM of 20 (through roughly 700 MTTs) and an ROI of %30 at the moment. last time I cashed out, I left $300 in my bankroll to play with. My average stake is $2.5.

Now, out of that $300, I only have $20 left. I've been playing as good, and have kept my %ITM as high, but it seems like I'm always losing when I'm ahead.. the dog, not always, but more often than they should, hits a miracle card and wins! (after going allin).

I've been losing a ton with %80 preflop, %96 favorite flops and %98 favorite turns.. I feel so frustrated ATM.. and I can't afford to deposit again.. I'm worried I'll have to quit this for good..

PokerStars nickname: Pot Hanger
  • 6 replies
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      If you go busto and can't deposit just play freerolls. I think Full Tilt has some decent ones, my dad built up a $55 bankroll from nothing just playing the New Zealand freeroll on Full Tilt, it has $100 prize pool, top 10% of the field or so gets at least $2 max $15, mincashing is super easy given how fishy everyone is.

As for the downswing that's how MTTs work. The big scores more than make up for it. There's a reason they recommend 200-400 ABIs. With 100BI you could easily just run shit even doing everything right. Just as your 700 MTT sample is not enough to conclude you are a winning player.
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      As already mentioned freerolls are a good way to get a comeback.

Your mistake was most likely an insufficient bankroll management. Especially for standard tournaments at Pokerstars your bankroll management should be very cautious. I normally recommend 400 average buyins+. With a 300$ bankroll that would be ~0,8$ average buyin. If you follow this bankroll management it is very unlikely to go broke (although it is not impossible).

My recommendation for your current situation would be the 0,1$ 360men turbo mtsng's at pokerstars. It is already a close call with your bankroll, but imo it is the only valid way of playing tournaments with it without pure gambling.

The 0,25$ ones are out of question and way above your current bankroll. The 0,02$ hyper turbo's are not recommended because they are very crappy and at the same time extremely swingy.

Try to build up your bankroll from again with proper bankroll management and don't try to make fast money. The later is not possible in poker.

Regards,
      Asaban
    • SilverFace
      SilverFace
      Bronze
      Thanks a lot Asaban;

I'll take heed.. :)

And also thanks to metza.
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Asaban, one thing I always wonder about how MTT players manage their bankroll is how do you guys treat moving up or moving down. Like for cash games I take shots at 20BI and move back down at 18BI.

If you play $2.50 tourneys with 400BI brm, you have $1000. Say you run really bad for 100 tourneys. Do you move down when you have less than 300BI? Or 200BI or 100BI? With the 180mans I think you win max 50BI at once, so in a big downswing even binking one isn't gonna put you back in black. It seems weird to move down after a small amount of BI loss because it happens too often in MTT...
    • SilverFace
      SilverFace
      Bronze
      Yes, interesting question.
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      You should constantly adjust your limits to your current bankroll. Since 400 ABI are quite solid you don't have to adjust after every session, but you should still adjust your average buyin regularly.

If you have 1k$ playing 2,5$ tournaments and you lose 200$ you should immediatly adjust and lower your average buyin to 2$.

Same with upswings, although you should go slower here. If you have a 1k$ bankroll and cash 4k$ in a tournament you shouldn't jump to the new limit immediatly but move up slowly. Otherwise your skill won't keep up with the pace.

Regards,
      Asaban