AMA with Bet Raise Fold producer Jason Rosenkrantz

• BarryCarter
      BarryCarter
      Headadmin
      Headadmin

Ask Jason Rosenkrantz anything

Following our exclusive Bet Raise Fold competition and interview with producer Jay Rosenkrantz, he has kindly agreed to answer your questions in this thread.

He will be online after the weekend, so start giving us your questions. Don't forget that as well as producing Bet Raise Fold, Jay is also known for:

• Playing high stakes online cash under the screen name pr1nnyraid.
      • One of the pioneers of poker coaching and training sites
      • The Micros
      • Two Months, Two Million

This is a rare opportunity so don't miss out.
  • 49 replies
    • BarryCarter
      BarryCarter
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      I will get the ball rolling:

Whats the meaning of your screen name pr1nnyraid?

How many times have you seen star wars?
    • ikkvr
      ikkvr
      Bronze
      Hello jay watched ur 2m2m and micros series really good :) my question is

1-what is ur biggest achievement in poker ? like biggest win in cash game or a huge mtt win

2- when and how did u start poker and when did u improve ?
    • peche025
      peche025
      Bronze
      Hey Jay, just wanted to say the micros was amazing. I hope someday you'll have the time and the backing to make a few more shows. Damn Black Friday!
    • lenull22
      lenull22
      Bronze
      I wanted posse following question why such a report just after Black Friday that do farm full tilt etc ... ?
    • Angel1984
      Angel1984
      Bronze
      Who was your hardest opponent ?

Who do you think is the sickest grinder you've ever met ?

Will there be a return of 2m2m ?
    • KRANTZ
      KRANTZ
      Basic
      Originally posted by BarryCarter

A prinny is a kind of exploding penguin in a Japanese strategy RPG video game series called Disgaea, and prinny raid is a secret attack you can learn to do with them. The weird penguins are generally considered to be dumb characters, "whose thoughts you can't envision." My roommate was playing a lot of Disgaea around the time I started playing on Full Tilt, and I liked the way it sounded.

I have seen all the Star Wars movies, including the prequels unfortunately, innumerable times. I've probably seen Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back the most, probably over 20 times each. :s_biggrin:
    • BarryCarter
      BarryCarter
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by KRANTZ

A prinny is a kind of exploding penguin in a Japanese strategy RPG video game series called Disgaea, and prinny raid is a secret attack you can learn to do with them. The weird penguins are generally considered to be dumb characters, "whose thoughts you can't envision." My roommate was playing a lot of Disgaea around the time I started playing on Full Tilt, and I liked the way it sounded.

I have seen all the Star Wars movies, including the prequels unfortunately, innumerable times. I've probably seen Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back the most, probably over 20 times each. :s_biggrin:
      Dissapointed, thought it was some sort of Frat-esque panty raid reference.

What did you think of Revenge of the Sith?
    • KRANTZ
      KRANTZ
      Basic
      Originally posted by ikkvr
      Hello jay watched ur 2m2m and micros series really good :) my question is

1-what is ur biggest achievement in poker ? like biggest win in cash game or a huge mtt win

2- when and how did u start poker and when did u improve ?
      I think my biggest achievement in poker has been in founding DeucesCracked. I was one of the earliest online poker coaches and through personal and group coaching, and the training videos we all created... we have taught a lot of people how to play and understand the game better, and furthered its development as a whole. Some poker pros may see training sites as a bad thing but I find learning and teaching to be intellectually absorbing and satisfying, and I'm proud of this.

You probably mean achievement in terms of victory at the tables, though, in which case I think I have to look at my run in the shorthanded and heads up nosebleed games from 2007-2009, culminating in 2M2MM. When I started playing poker I never could have imagined I'd be competing at that high of a level against some of the best players on the planet. It's still pretty surreal to think back on.

I started playing poker way back when Rounders came out, when I was 12 or 13 years old. I was quickly obsessed with the idea of "rounding", felt like it was rebellious and heroic and so so cool to make a living playing poker. I used to play poker in the cafeteria with my friends at school lunch, and then we started having regular poker nights, and then I started playing in other friends' games, before long I was playing every single night of the week. But I didn't really start understanding the nuances of the game until college, when I found online poker and became an active strategy poster on 2p2. That opened my eyes to a whole new world of possibility, the world of the online poker professional. I went broke many times before I got the hang of it, but once I did I was all-in.
    • dannywratten
      dannywratten
      Gold
      Huge fan KRANTZ!

1. While moving up stakes, what did you find most valuable? sweat sessions with other players, private coachings, just grinding & reviewing yourself etc?

2. Would love to hear about your upcoming film projects. Poker related or not :)
    • KRANTZ
      KRANTZ
      Basic
      Originally posted by peche025
      Hey Jay, just wanted to say the micros was amazing. I hope someday you'll have the time and the backing to make a few more shows. Damn Black Friday!
      Thanks, me too! We have a great, long storyline planned for The Micros that I would love to have the chance to realize if we can ever find the right sponsor. Making that show was one of the most fun experiences I've ever had creating, and we felt like we had just started to find our rhythm when Black Friday hit :-/
    • KRANTZ
      KRANTZ
      Basic
      Originally posted by lenull22
      I wanted posse following question why such a report just after Black Friday that do farm full tilt etc ... ?
      Not sure I understand your question, can you restate it another way or elaborate a little bit?
    • KRANTZ
      KRANTZ
      Basic
      Originally posted by Angel1984

Hardest opponents: Tom Dwan, Jungleman, LarsLuzak, Isildur

Sickest grinder: BldSwtTrs (this guy was a legend in the early days of online poker), Cole South

I don't think there will be a return of 2M2MM, but the poker world could use something else like it!
    • unshpe
      unshpe
      Basic
      Hey KRANTZ,

Do you use Levels of Thinking in your game? What's your opinion on tagging players like this to know which level to adopt (1 level above)?

At what level are most regulars / fishes at for different stakes?

------------------------------

Levels (if not clear):

Level 1 "What do I have?"

Level 2 "What does my opponent have?" + Level 1

Level 3 "What does my opponent think I have?" + Level 2

and so on ( Level 4 seems hard for me , although i may be using it in some spots )

Thanks !
    • unshpe
      unshpe
      Basic
      One more :f_pleased: :

"Hardest opponents: Tom Dwan, Jungleman, LarsLuzak, Isildur"

Can you say what made these so tough in more detail?
    • KRANTZ
      KRANTZ
      Basic
      What did you think of Revenge of the Sith?
      Significantly better than the other two prequels - pretty much ALL the actual drama in the prequels is in Revenge of the Sith. The Palpatine/Anakin relationship is pretty compelling, Anakin's fall is dark and disturbing, the confrontation between Anakin and Obi-Wan feels epic and mythic. The special effects are too out of control though, it looks and feels too much like a video game, and there are tons of plot points that make little sense... The original Star Wars movies used all elements of the art form to enhance an archetypal, mythic form of storytelling. The new ones used advanced technology to try to tell poorly written stories with bad acting. I really dislike all of the prequels but if I had to watch one again it would be Revenge of the Sith.

I am really, really optimistic about JJ Abrams and the team Disney has working on Episode 7. They have the skills and the motivation to breathe life back into the myth and make something legitimately great.
    • KRANTZ
      KRANTZ
      Basic
      Originally posted by unshpe
      Hey KRANTZ,

Do you use Levels of Thinking in your game? What's your opinion on tagging players like this to know which level to adopt (1 level above)?

At what level are most regulars / fishes at for different stakes?

Levels (if not clear):

Level 1 "What do I have?"

Level 2 "What does my opponent have?" + Level 1

Level 3 "What does my opponent think I have?" + Level 2

and so on ( Level 4 seems hard for me , although i may be using it in some spots )

Thanks !
      I don't use anything like this. I think about my range, and my opponent's range. If we have played a lot of hands together and I can understand what type of player he is (i.e. tight aggressive regular, loose aggressive regular, loose passive weak player, weak tight regular, etc), then I think about what my opponent thinks my range is.

"Levels of thinking" seems like a construct that will get you into a lot of trouble playing guessing games. If you guess wrong you will make costly mistakes, and unless you're a psychological genius you're going to guess wrong way more often than you might think. I'd recommend relying much more on math - use EV calculations to analyze lines you might take against different types of players who have different kinds of ranges in any given situation. Forget about "levels of thinking" and rely on math and experience to give you concrete answers to poker problems, in the long run this will make you a much better and tougher player.
    • KRANTZ
      KRANTZ
      Basic
      Originally posted by unshpe
      One more :f_pleased: :

"Hardest opponents: Tom Dwan, Jungleman, LarsLuzak, Isildur"

Can you say what made these so tough in more detail?
      durrrr: fearless, creative, unorthodox player, willing to play long sessions with very deep stacks and punish you with tough decisions at any sign of weakness

jungleman: extremely solid fundamentals, rarely made any mistakes

lars: played a very loose and passive style preflop (called many reraises in position and out of position) but incredibly aggressive postflop, liked to play with deep stacks, always ran good :)

isildur: his overbets were killer and he used them in ways I had never seen before
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by KRANTZ
      Originally posted by Angel1984

Hardest opponents: Tom Dwan, Jungleman, LarsLuzak, Isildur

Sickest grinder: BldSwtTrs (this guy was a legend in the early days of online poker), Cole South

I don't think there will be a return of 2M2MM, but the poker world could use something else like it!
      Definitely should be another 2M2MM!!!
    • KRANTZ
      KRANTZ
      Basic
      Originally posted by dannywratten
      Huge fan KRANTZ!

1. While moving up stakes, what did you find most valuable? sweat sessions with other players, private coachings, just grinding & reviewing yourself etc?

2. Would love to hear about your upcoming film projects. Poker related or not :)
      Hey thanks dude!

1. Playing tons of hands, TONS of hands, and posting/arguing about strategy with other people (on poker forums and in real life). This had by far the most influence on my game, and I was lucky that most of the people I talked poker with ended up becoming some of the best online poker players. Coaching players at lower levels also helped my game a ton, teaching others forced me to rigorously defend and critically think about every idea I had ever had about the game. It helped turn me into a philosopher/gambler, which is probably the ideal type of thinker/strategist you can be in this game!

2. Cool, follow me on http://twitter.com/dckrantz!