Massive second thoughts.

• Inorien
      Inorien
      Bronze
      Prepare for the millionth thread complaining about a bad streak

When I look normally at the way I think about losing, I like to think its the appropriate way of doing it. I put the loss behind me, don't let it affect me, and move on to the next hand. Its impossible to win all the time, and unrealistic to expect anything like winning even half of the time. Today I looked over my PokerTracker stats (not the session review - but all my previous numbers), and we hit with a wall of depression so bad I immediately quit the table I was on should I induce a tilt.
      I started taking poker more seriously about three days ago - my account on PokerStrategy is over a year old, but I just registered and never even claimed bonus cash until the other day when I decided to learn for real. Jesus, this thread already feels like a tilt-whine.
      I've read most the basic and bronze articles on Poker Basics and NL BSS, and I'd like to have thought it'd sunk in. My equity estimations on Equilab are improving by the day (30 mins practice daily) and my aptitude at working out odds and outs is improving also. I realise that it'd be completely wrong to assume I 'deserve' victory after this - the practice just makes it a little easier to obtain.
      Tonight was my first really annoying night. I'm still on NL2 microstakes so it really isn't a major issue if a few quid disappears in the name of learning. My real concern lies with the whole two-hour session for this evening and the way its panned out.
      I stick to the starting hands chart fairly rigidly - there are one or two starter hands outside of that that I'll give a chance to, but the rest of the time, I'm following it. I also realise that there's grey area on the chart - KQo is stronger than JTo and can be played stronger, and I take this into consideration.
      The people I played with tonight must have thought I was the tighest rock on the block. Over the course of 180 hands, I have a VPIP of 4%. It seems like Poker770 wants me to have ALL of the salad - clicking 'Fold' is a simple reflex now - and its no exaggeration. Scrolling through my hands on PT, the strongest hand I was dealt all evening was QQ - undoubtedly something that can do some damage - and on that occasion I raised preflop and successfully bought the blinds. Go me. Over the course of the 180 hands I saw 4 aces, the highest hand of which was A6o, which I was forced out of fairly quickly by a LAG preflop.

I know its extremely unfair to complain about playing badly over the first couple of evenings of one's career and losing a few quid when there are people out there losing hundreds of dollars. My BB/100 for my lifetime 1423 hands on NL2 is -52.62. I really don't think that's good, even for a beginner. At this point, I don't know if its bad luck or bad play. I'm comfortable thinking its a mix of the two - I'm far off bankrupt, but it still feels pretty bad. I'm not used to failing like this. My two biggest losses are bleeding blinds while I fold infinity rounds of salad, and beating someone up only to be annihilated by a 40:1 draw on the river and going bust. Anyone have any immediate advice beyond train, train and train some more?
      Got that out of my system. Needed a serious rant.

tl;dr: BB/100 is -52.62, across 1423 hands on NL2, not sure if bad luck or just bad player.

Edit: 1423 hands includes a foray into 6-max.
  • 9 replies
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Wow man, that is severe card deadness. Although I wouldn't be too concerned yet.

~1400 hands is too small a sample to draw any real conclusions from. I know the figures look horrible but they can be pulled back from there.

TinoLaan recently moved to NL10 and had an immediate downswing of 15BI which he has now pulled back to profit.

I would strongly recommend reading his blog.

Tino's Blog
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Hey

this is why it's called grinding. I would advise you to remember why you play poker in the first place. If it's to make money, I would stop; if it is because you enjoy it then I would continue and try getting better. Take each day as it goes and if it you are not enjoying it one day because whether you are just card dead or not playing your best just quit your session and there is always tomorrow.

When you are cards dead focus on table dynamics, try thinking how you could outplay your opponents and can you spot any leaks in their stats that you can exploit.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by thazar
      Hey

this is why it's called grinding. I would advise you to remember why you play poker in the first place. If it's to make money, I would stop; if it is because you enjoy it then I would continue and try getting better. Take each day as it goes and if it you are not enjoying it one day because whether you are just card dead or not playing your best just quit your session and there is always tomorrow.

When you are cards dead focus on table dynamics, try thinking how you could outplay your opponents and can you spot any leaks in their stats that you can exploit.
      Great advice! :s_thumbsup:
    • Inorien
      Inorien
      Bronze
      Originally posted by thazar
      Hey

This is really some great inspirational advice. I'm playing poker because I really enjoy it now (most of the time) and one day want to be good at it - maybe even at a professional level! That is, after all, why I'm here - to improve.
      I'll give it a day then head back in and try again.

There's a nice ending to the OP story though. I looked through my hand history and there was one hand I had completely forgotten about - KK. I'd forgotten about it for a good reason though... this happened.
    • Itsnevereasy
      Itsnevereasy
      Bronze
      Concentrate on learning not winning/losing. Its a new paradigm, but its the only way to reach higher limits and actually win good money at poker.

Thats the best way to get over bad beats...
    • pockettones
      pockettones
      Bronze
      Yupp downswings suck... try not to be results oriented rather decision oriented, if you are making good plays and are losing money, don't worry and don't tilt, just variance.
      Not like me who lost 10 BI @ nl5 over like 5k hands then tilted off another 10 or so after more suckouts and no action. 1/3 of my bankroll gone in 3 days that was pretty painful... gunna be a long grind gettin it back (took me 90k hands in total starting from NL2). Talking about it sure helps.
    • ains21
      ains21
      Bronze
      Hi. Just to re-affirm what others have said: I've played 1k hands and won 10BI, and I've played 1k hands and lost 10BI. I've also played 30k hands and been a huge loser, while the month before played 30k hands and been a huge winner. It's just variance, don't worry. Don't even consider looking at win-rates until you have 100k+ hands (and even that's really small, trust me). Keep going.
    • ains21
      ains21
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pockettones
      Yupp downswings suck... try not to be results oriented rather decision oriented, if you are making good plays and are losing money, don't worry and don't tilt, just variance.
      Not like me who lost 10 BI @ nl5 over like 5k hands then tilted off another 10 or so after more suckouts and no action. 1/3 of my bankroll gone in 3 days that was pretty painful... gunna be a long grind gettin it back (took me 90k hands in total starting from NL2). Talking about it sure helps.
      It's character building man, we've all been there. Grind grind grind and don't let it get you down.
    • Walshnm
      Walshnm
      Bronze
      We are always learning - keep your chin up and keep grinding :D