What Game Type Should I Play?

• Calzo94
      Calzo94
      Basic
      Hi guys

Not been on in a while but getting back into online poker again and am planning to deposit £35 ($46) into my PokerStars account.

Anyway, my question is, what should I play? I tend to avoid cash games as I have never been able to make money at them although I enjoy playing them, after that, what is the best type of poker to play to try and build up a bankroll?
      I generally have a lot of time to play if that effects anything.

Cheers
  • 7 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, Calzo94

Do you play 5-Card Draw?

It is the only game I'm a consistent winner at.

Not a big winner, but consistent (within the limits of variance ofc)

Just a thought.

I did OK at $0.25 45-man SnGs for a while, but they take a long time, and all that time is worthless with one unlucky hand.

Have you taken the beginner's course?
      It might be worth doing, and while doing it you can decide which type of play suits you best.

Peace,
      --VS
    • Calzo94
      Calzo94
      Basic
      Thanks Vorpal!

As of yet Hold'em is the only one I can play although I am keen to learn how to play others also! Is there a tutorial on here which shows how to play 5 -card draw?

I usually prefer SnGs so this may be a good plan just to get myself back into it. I would love to be good enough at cash tables to make a profit but I've just not managed to figure out a good, consistent strategy yet!

As of yet I haven't but I'll be sure to in the very near future as I have a lot of free time now to play poker! :)

Cheers
    • beerzy
      beerzy
      Bronze
      I've never played them, but from what I know the .25$ 45/90 seem to be a good start to you since you have such a slim br. I would go with the 45's cause they seem to have lower variance and the level of play should be preety terrible.Plus you can find alot of info about the 45/90's trough the internet but I'm not even sure it would be usefull for the .25$, just play straightforward and find your own style.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by Calzo94
      Is there a tutorial on here which shows how to play 5 -card draw?
      Hi, Calzo94
      Yes there is a tutorial, but at the moment it is only available with higher status.

If your PokerStars account isn't tracked, then I suggest signing up with an affiliated Poker Room and taking advantage of the free poker money.

If that won't work for you, it is also possible to subscribe to any status level you desire.

Best of luck!
      --VS
    • inoimbluffingdou
      inoimbluffingdou
      Basic
      I tend to agree about the sng's they are a long hard grind, but it can be fun getting there!
    • Calzo94
      Calzo94
      Basic
      I've played a few .25$ SnGs and made the money bubble only to be beaten in a race against a pair (can't seem to win one just now!) I'll just keep persevering at the moment and hopefully get a bit of luck!

Vorpal

Played a few 5-card draw games with play money and getting used to it already, seems quite easy to pick up at least! :) I would imagine the tournaments in this discipline don't have as many players, would this make it easier to cash at all?

Cheers
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by Calzo94
      I've played a few .25$ SnGs and made the money bubble only to be beaten in a race against a pair (can't seem to win one just now!) I'll just keep persevering at the moment and hopefully get a bit of luck!

Vorpal

Played a few 5-card draw games with play money and getting used to it already, seems quite easy to pick up at least! :) I would imagine the tournaments in this discipline don't have as many players, would this make it easier to cash at all?

Cheers
      The standard of play in play-chip games is much, much lower than even the lowest real-money stakes.

5-Card Draw tournaments are mostly no-limit and pot-limit, which are much different than fixed-limit. You're right in that they have fewer players, but the ones that are there know what they're doing, for the most part.

I just realized that the introduction to 5-Card Draw is a basic article, so if you haven't read it already, have a look.

Also, search the forums for "5-Card Draw" with and without the hyphen, and also for just "5cd".

Various members -- jbpatzer, Huricano and a few others have some valuable tips in their posts.

In the fall there is a book coming out with a 5-Card Draw section that rocks -- and it may be even more valuable for the holdem bits. The book was written by 3 PokerStrategy.com members -- two of them coaches.

Best of luck,
      --VS