Starting from Nothing

• Inorien
      Inorien
      Bronze
      about :

My name is Nick, I'm from London, UK. I'm 18 and started learning Poker properly a week ago. My account here is several months old, but I never so much as claimed the starting cash until a week back.
      Prior to me starting to take the game seriously here, I used to play around here and there. My introduction to the game was on an online game - Puzzle Pirates! - which I played when I was about 13. I was dirt-poor in game, and someone told me that Poker (Hold'em) was a great way to get some money in-game. Intrigued, I gave it a few tries, and after losing all my money several times, was convinced that this was indeed the path to being able to buy my own pirate ship. Since then, aside from growing up a little, I've become steadily more interested in maths and computer sciences, so the logic that lies behind Hold'em is still extremely appealing to me. I play mostly for fun with a view to one day make it to the professional level - and one day, maybe even buy my own ship for real!
      I currently play on FR NL2.

The Goals as of 29/8/2013:

I need to make my losses back.
      I hope to move up to NL5 within 6-8 months.
      I want my BB/100 to be positive within 3 months.
      I need to stop drawing salad.
  • 8 replies
    • Inorien
      Inorien
      Bronze
      End of Week 1 Progress Report:

VPIP: 12.70
      PFR: 5.48
      Fold to PF3Bet: 96.67
      WTSD: 19.75
      Att to Steal: 14.12
      Total AFq: 42.86

Some losses across the board. I have a fairly low stop-loss at 1 BI. I have developed a bad habit of drawing AQo then folding to a maniac and would have lost on the flop anyway. I often go for 125 hands without seeing a pocket pair. I need to be more aggressive when opportunity arises.
    • Inorien
      Inorien
      Bronze
      And so I continued to sit through the torrent of salad, waiting for one good hand to arrive. Lo and behold, on my fifth hand at a new table, this happened.

iPoker - $0.02 NL - Holdem - 9 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4: http://www.pokertracker.com

MP: 79 BB
      MP+1: 85 BB
      CO: 187 BB
      Hero (BTN): 98 BB
      SB: 171 BB
      BB: 78 BB
      UTG: 100 BB
      UTG+1: 34.5 BB
      UTG+2: 107 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has K:heart: K:diamond:
      fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 4 BB, SB raises to 7 BB, fold, Hero raises to 98 BB (all in), SB calls 98 BB
      Flop : (197 BB, 2 players) 7:spade: 7:club: Q:heart:

Turn : (197 BB, 2 players) T:diamond:

River : (197 BB, 2 players) J:club:

Hero mucks K:heart: K:diamond: (Two Pair, Kings and Sevens) (Pre 82%, Flop 95%, Turn 82%)
      SB shows 9:club: 8:heart: (Straight, Queen High) (Pre 18%, Flop 5%, Turn 18%)
      SB wins 184 BB

This was some serious bullshit. I'm unbelievably angry with this. I've been on a downswing since the day my career started, I finally get a hand worth playing, and I lose my whole buy-in on something that should be once in a blue moon, IF that frequent! I don't even know how I'm still motivated.
    • Hashkan
      Hashkan
      Bronze
      Whats up dude

First of all, online poker is not rigged, plenty of people around the world are making a steady income from it.

Second of all, that hand you just lost, is standard. You can have AAAA quads and still loose to straight flush, wich has happend to me and similar hands couple of times.

You can loose 20 buy ins and its standard.

Thirdly what makes a good player different from a great epic player, is the capability of not getting mad when he gets sucked out and get tilted like our great coach here on pokerstrategy Erik Stenqvist says. Think about that and I wish you good luck.
    • Inorien
      Inorien
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hashkan
      Whats up dude

First of all, online poker is not rigged, plenty of people around the world are making a steady income from it.

Second of all, that hand you just lost, is standard. You can have AAAA quads and still loose to straight flush, wich has happend to me and similar hands couple of times.

You can loose 20 buy ins and its standard.

Thirdly what makes a good player different from a great epic player, is the capability of not getting mad when he gets sucked out and get tilted like our great coach here on pokerstrategy Erik Stenqvist says. Think about that and I wish you good luck.
      Thanks for this. I pretty much knew immediately that that hand would be tild-inducing so I closed out pretty fast. I'll try again tomorrow.
      The way I look at the game now could be completely wrong. I gain money so slowly, and lose it very quickly. I'm very sure a lot of this has to do with skill and experience, at the same time it's fairly annoying when you get a promising hand like KK and it just spits in your face and gives the guy a straight pretty much immediately after you go all in. I did only start my career a week and a bit ago - it's easy to throw misconceptions around when this kind of thing happens as your 'welcome' to the game.
    • Hashkan
      Hashkan
      Bronze
      The skill will come slowly as you set you your mind into learning it.
      Next time before you start your session, just tell yourself even if I loose AA all in preflop 10 times in row, im not even gonna blink, just go on to the next hand. I promise you that if your able to do that, wich is nothing hard, you allready have a big skill wich most of opponents dont have. Allready you are a better player. Because all you can do is get your money in good, what happens after that should not affect you at all. If you got your money in with AA against 78 preflop for 100bb, thats the best anyone in the world can do. What happens after that on flop turn and river, is not in ur hands.
    • badgerer
      badgerer
      Silver
      Originally posted by Inorien
      This was some serious bullshit. I'm unbelievably angry with this. I've been on a downswing since the day my career started, I finally get a hand worth playing, and I lose my whole buy-in on something that should be once in a blue moon, IF that frequent! I don't even know how I'm still motivated.
      look at your preflop equity.

Hand Equity Wins Ties
      khkd 82.10% 1,402,859 6,056
      9c8h 17.90% 303,389 6,056

you're pretty far ahead but you are nowhere near invincible. imo 18% does not equate to once in a blue moon.

you're reaction to this beat is (with respect) utterly ridiculous. its really not that big of a deal, you will probably see this type of hand countless times again in your career. if you play well then most of these times you will have the best hand and most of the time you will win.

stay motivated and keep learning. good luck
    • lila28
      lila28
      Gold
      Originally posted by badgerer
      Originally posted by Inorien

Hand Equity Wins Ties

you're pretty far ahead but you are nowhere near invincible. imo 18% does not equate to once in a blue moon.

you're reaction to this beat is (with respect) utterly ridiculous. its really not that big of a deal, you will probably see this type of hand countless times again in your career. if you play well then most of these times you will have the best hand and most of the time you will win.

+1, there is good book "the poker mindset" by Matthew Hilger you might be interested to read.
    • Inorien
      Inorien
      Bronze
      Originally posted by badgerer

Hand Equity Wins Ties

True this, I suppose. I've slept on it now and I'm fairly chilled with the way the hand turned out at this point. I guess I'm just annoyed that I've been losing money fairly consistently since day 1, but then again, people have had worse losses far into their careers and recovered. Its just something I'm not really used to.