Small PP's preflop at different stack sizes

• muel294
      **** all strategy and stack sizes the following is based on is from original strategy, notes and learning material that I gathered when I first started out at Apologies for any inaccuracies etc that follow***

Hi all.

It has been a while since I have even contemplated SNG strategy. I first started out grinding SNG's but quickly found it wasn't for me because it wasn't as flexible as cash. So I do I have a decent knowledge of SNG strategy, however I would imagine this is now somewhat dated. When starting out I used to limp/call all my PP's 22-99 in order to set mine. (except when attempting to steal 1st in on the HJ, CO or BU of course)

:spade: Is this still the recommended strategy 24bb+??

I ask this because after playing a lot of cash and MTT's I have got into a potentially bad habit of opening all my PP's from EP when deeper than 24BB's (mainly to pick up dead money without committing myself or going broke against strong range and also it allows me to widen my EP range). Also, I tend raise/fold a lot wider and shorter than usual (specifically in MTT's 12bb+) like 2.2x ( mostly due to advice from a friend who is a pro and I respect his advice). I am aware that this might not be the best approach for SNG's compared to cash and MTT's which is why I am looking for some feedback here.

I feel the above maybe a leak because recently I have been playing a lot of SNG and MTT satellites and feel like I am spewing chips by opening too wide and too much. I usually just play the same way as cash until I hit 30bb or less and then start playing like SNG's

At the moment I am probably opening UTG something like: 22+,AJs+,KQs,AJo+,KQo

I think maybe this is too wide for SNG's and MTT's when I reach 50bb or less or maybe its just too wide full stop. Maybe I should be opening something like:

and start limp calling: 99-22 until I fall below 24bb's.

Sorry if this is poorly articulated its late and I am tired.

Appreciate any input. Many thanks
  • 1 reply
    • ghaleon
      Limp-call set mining from early position in full ring sng is ok line in micro/low limits with like 30bb+. Problem with this tactic in bigger games are better players who might see your range quite face up. Meaning you won't get them to stack off with e.g. KJ on J73 board. So set mining becomes unprofitable.

In full ring games I would tighten that UTG range. Hands like 99+, AJs+, AQo+ are usually ok. Adding some hands like ATs, Ajo, KQs might be reasonable, but usually I would not go wider with medium size stack.