All-in for a flush draw, what a bad move.. need advice

• Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Alright so just got eliminated from a tournie cause some player decides to challange me although he would lose 2/3 times.

Sorry I will just post the hand for reference so you get my point.

Low stack goes all in with A 9 suited
      I raise with AK
      BB calls with 10 K suited (this is already pretty dumb in my opinion)

Flop gives the two suited cards the BB needs. He goes all-in. I call because I watched him play so I know he raises with overs, and since I know I got him beat at this point I call.

He gets the flush on the turn, and I read him correctly, he didn't have a pair on the flop.

So my questions is.... why on earth do players do this? Lack of experience? Think they have luck on their side? Or is it cause its a rebuy tournie and he doesn't care at early stages? (I do care cause I don't like rebuying, normally don't need it).

And then how do we protect ourselfs from this reckless playstyle. The only solution (which works out alright but gets a bit stressfull) is playing very conservativly till you cannot rebuy anymore, then purchase add-on and play regularly from then onwards.
      This got me place 20 in a previous rebuy tournie (never rebought, just addon) with ca. 400 players or so.

Still... any advice for any other protection against reckless players in the early stages?
  • 6 replies
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      To add on...

Just got eliminated again because of a flush draw right before entering the money:

I have top pair with K 8 kicker heads up (no preflop raise). Opponent checks to me, I bet pot ca. 1/4 of my stack, bit more maybe.
      Opponent goes all in and I call.

He is on a flush draw with A overcard. He gets A on the river.

I really need to know. Am I doing a mistake in these plays? On the flop I am ahead so I don't see a reason why I should fold. Especially when the blinds are high and I can't afford to loose my bets that easily.

Right now I am just brushing it off as poker. I played correctly but my opponent beats the odds. Please let me know if I am doing a mistake thanks.
    • Sasa1234
      Sasa1234
      Bronze
      If you weren't shortstack don't even play it before the money, someone will bust and you'll be in the money. Simple as that
    • miskokvo
      miskokvo
      Bronze
      i used some poker calculator on your first hand and belivme or not u were dog!!:(
      (u didint tell about flop so i was wondering)

Hero: A :heart: K :spade:
      Shortstack:A :club: 9 :club:
      Big blind: K :diamond: T :diamond:

FLOP: 6 :diamond: 3 :diamond: 8 :club:

chances to win after flop:
      Hero: 38.65%
      Shortstack: 12.18%
      Big blind: 46.95%

so u were 3:4 dog :) and no 3:1 :D peace
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Ok I see.. thought I was ahead.
    • miskokvo
      miskokvo
      Bronze
      but in my opinion i think u made right move .... to win bigger turnament (more than 45players) u need to by lucky... how many times u can see on youtube player who wins tournament made terrible call and suck out at the end....

for exmp todey champion Chen... win at final table pre flop KJ vs QQ.... or Australian champion i dont remember his name ... at wsop 2007 he wins with AK against AA (7% chance) he floped straight.... but if u want to see how to win turnament with luck watch aussie millions 2006 i think (Gus Hansen wins) but thath fatty kid who ends second has more luck than jessus he hed trip QQQ another player trip AAA... both of them move all in after turn... and river Q :) ...and there are more of them .... there is no human and never will be who can play poker 100% right..

but bro if i can give u advise ... stop playing MTT it is the worst start for begginer..... because there are huge upswings/downswings ... and there are huge chance to start at downswing and loose all money....

try cash game (sss or etc at lover limits,or sng one table are great to built BR)

MTT: but time to time u can do it :) coz it is fun but this SHOULDNT be your main incame to build BR
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Alright.

Yeah just played a 10$ buyin one. 400 players

Made a dumb mistake 8 places before beeing in the money (had to wait like 10 mins more for players to be eliminated cause of short stack and ante, so was pretty mad at myself aftewards haha)

Raised KJ out of position... don't know what I was thinking. Player reraised and since I was commited I called. Eliminates me with KA.

K but the thing is I enjoy big tournies way more then cash games. Am just trying to learn them. I have been playing ring cames for a while now and wanted something new. Besides... the chance to make 1000$ out of 10$ in 4 hours is nice.

Most of the time I end up somewhere pretty close to beeing in the money or am in the money. But I will stop playing 10$ buyins and go 3$ buy in max now, my bankroll is suffering too much. Acctually will be gone soon if I keep loosing like that.