Huge waiting lists make no sense?

• pockettones
      pockettones
      Bronze
      I've often wondered why people join in queues that have 4 people waiting in 6-max games. By the time the fourth guy gets a seat there's going to be a completely different table dynamic as 4 of the original table will have left, and most likely any fish giving the table juicy vpip/pot stats would have long gone broke.
  • 6 replies
    • Pilks7
      Pilks7
      Bronze
      Unless of course the people ahead of you in the list find another table and decline that one.

But having said that, I agree. I often pick my tables based on how many short stacks/labelled fish there are, but if there's a waiting list equal or greater to the number of fish, chances are those fish will be the ones to go broke and give up their seat..

But what you gonna do?

I'd suggest that (for the player with any desire to improve) table selection is only very important once you think you've mastered those stakes. It's only useful for increasing BR as quick as you can. If there are that few fish that you need to search them out, then you've got to be able to beat the regs as well before you can move up

DISCUSS!
    • pockettones
      pockettones
      Bronze
      I think at micros people are generally bad so table selection isn't as important, that being said right now my main focus is to move up limits, battling out with micros regs will only step up your game so much as they play pretty roboticaly (myself included, I'm trying to work away from that and become more situation/read dependant and think out spots more often). I usually filter by avg pot and pick a table with a large pot and decent vpip, lots of people people just filter by vpip and ignore pot size.

Edit: Currently grinding out 5NL, definitely think what you said about beating regs is very important for higher stakes like 50NL+
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze

I'd suggest that (for the player with any desire to improve) table selection is only very important once you think you've mastered those stakes. It's only useful for increasing BR as quick as you can. If there are that few fish that you need to search them out, then you've got to be able to beat the regs as well before you can move up
      Well of course you have to be better than average reg on that limit to beat the limit. But still table selecting is always very important. It is not very important only when you think you master the stakes. Of course we always want to play vs worse players so vs players we can have advantage. We have to do proper action vs them and vs other regs of course at the tables. So we fight vs everyone who is at the table.

But if there are only good regs at the table we won't make profit in long run. So there is no point to stay at this table since as poker players we are always talking about EV. Sitting at the table full of regs is -EV so it is better to avoid it.

Also at micro stakes there are really huge donks. I play at PokerStars which is know to be the toughest and at NL16 i find so many huge fishes with just a little effort. I believe there are a lot also at NL25.

At least you have to always search for the table which has worse players than you are. You don't want to have a good aggressive 3bettor on your left neither a good shortstacker. So if that happen it is better just to sit-out and find more suitable table.
    • Pilks7
      Pilks7
      Bronze
      But you aren't necessarily -EV vs regs, you could just be less +EV. I agree that when a fish comes along it's great, and you can exploit that and turn a much better profit, but if you only ever seek out the fish, your game is going to be quite poor as you move up the stakes. There will be less fish to rely on, so your EV will be worse.

If you can play +EV against the regs, then as you move up the stakes, you will be more accustomed to having more regs, and playing better against them.

Phil Ivey didn't become the best in the world by playing fish, he actively sought out better players in order to improve his game

In reponse to pocketones:

Some regs do play very robotically, but all of them have leaks at the stakes you (/we) are playing. I definitely agree that playing nits is almost pointless, but playing good tight agressive regs certainly adds value to your game
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Huge waiting lists are better than 3 handed tables and no waiting lists ;)
      At least people still wanna play online pkrz! :heart: :heart: :heart:
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey pockettones and everyone else!

Tbh I never am on a waitinglist. I play nl25 on pokerstars and nl20 speed on iPoker. Well on nl25 there are plenty of fish and it's easy to find 4 tables without being on any waitinglist.

I get that there are rooms and limits that you have to be on a waitinglists though.

GL at the tables

RasTweet