7 years warmup should be long enough

Bronze
      Introduction

Hi my name is Steve and as the title says I have been playing online poker since 2006, I feel that I know very little of value in real terms of the modern game and have therefore started this blog to see if I can do anything to change that.

My first issue is I dislike typing and my grammar is not as good as I would like, so please excuse the wrong use of as/has, their/there and the like. I am from the NE of England and I truly believe that this fact combined with a Military career where I travelled a fair bit and mixed with many differing groups has cocked up my use of vowels and the like.

You will probably say why is that is important at this stage of a blog. Well I believe it is because I will often use 100 words to make my point when 10 will do and it frustrates me terribly and is also so time consuming to retype, rewrite stuff. The consequences are it makes me want to post less, not good for a Blog. I greatly admire and appreciate good penmanship. Anyway I will have a go and see how we get on.

I have procrastinated so long on whether to do one or not, then thought sod it why not, what is the worst that can happen it just disappears down the thread list of Blogs into the depths with no harm done. On the other end of the scale it may be useful to me and other who fit my profile, who knows. So I make no promises to myself or others, I just intend to use this as a place to hang my hat for the short, medium and long term.

Games

I play Tourney’s mainly on Stars but have played bits and pieces on other sites, played some SNG but never to any great degree, no intention of playing cash and nothing except NLH

Stars OPR attached

http://www.officialpokerrankings.com/pokerstars/177272/poker/statistics/BEC2115CD8764299986AF53CB1D92213.html?t=8&scp=560
      Had a couple of lucky binks and nr binks otherwise it would be a different tale.

Aims

More short, medium and long terms aims to follow, but some general ones at the moment:
      • Don’t be too long winded, post short bite size bits.
      • Never be frightened to post the most basic, stupid question. I want this to be a place that anything can be asked.
      • Post on a number of topics including:
      o Poker
      o Family
      o Life
      o Gardening
      o Work
      o Sustainability
      o Fitness

More to follow
  • 325 replies
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Nice start Steve :f_biggrin:

Great to see you blogging. I was OK with you hijacking my blog, but having your own will help with your planning as well as giving us a view into the type of person you are, your likes and dislikes (Ewww gardening lol) and how poker fits in with the rest of your life.

Will be following with interest. :)
      Bronze
      Part 2

My background

I am a college lecturer teaching Construction to difficult students. These are the types that cannot go to any other course and the system thinks shove them in Construction that will do.

This makes the job very stressful and certainly not enjoyable. I am an ex-Military man and use all of this training on dealing with these groups and to be fair it is well within my capabilities but there is little or no job satisfaction.
      There is the on-going concern of redundancy, which really depends on these little Herbert turning up. So my livelihood is dependent on this calibre of individual, so sick. At best I keep my job teaching ungrateful, unmotivated 17 year olds.

I am not suggesting that I wish to make a living for Poker, (would be nice obviously), but I get a full Army pension in May next year and I could easily get a part time/ casual job to meet my needs. But of course a regular income from Poker would enhance that greatly. However I am in no rush and want to build on firm foundations.

“The time before HEM, ICM, ranges and players never laying down to a C bet”

When I first started to play Golf I was the dog’s B******s and hit the ball true and straight, the moment I learnt that correct way of doing things I became a wreck. I could barely t off and still can’t. To some degree I feel the same about poker, it used to be fun and now it’s all so technical (more to follow on that point). So you either join them or just accept that you are content to shove 100 bucks on have some fun and reload waiting for the odd super bink.
      I want to see if I have the ability to meet my needs if not I am happy to be the ONE person to keep whole poker scene going. (Hope my $100 every now and then is enough).

I have simple tastes and needs and am not setting out to be Balla, the best in the world (best in my house would do), but just to have a go to see if I have enough about me to meet my goals.

More to follow, not much honest
      Bronze
      Lol I wouldn't read too much into the gardening thing, I have blue fingers all I touch dies, but I do have fads, veg in pots at the moment. Grew some hot chillies and my god I have loads of them can't give them away.
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by 177272
      Lol I wouldn't read too much into the gardening thing, I have blue fingers all I touch dies, but I do have fads, veg in pots at the moment. Grew some hot chillies and my god I have loads of them can't give them away.

Mmmmmmm. I so love chillies. :P
      Bronze
      Last part

Plan

For the last month I have been investigating the way I should proceed within poker and I think I have it almost right in my head. I have posted on many blogs and forums and railed like a mad man. I have SS every man and his dog and have a fair idea on what can be achieved, not necessarily for me but what may be possible. The commencement of this Blog is the first step.

“What do I want out of the game?”

“I have no divine right to get out of the micros I need to work for it”

September

• Play 2 types of BE sessions:

1. 10-12 Multi table to build up hours served and tolerance with that amount of action. (I normally play 1 or 2) also getting used to the clutter of the HUD
      2. Play 1 to 4 tables studying and applying learnt principles, specifically reading of HUD

• Get HEM to import all games correctly currently playing up a bit
      • Write a course for myself.
      • Beat most amount of games played in a month currently best is 323, I average about 100-190 a month.
      • Work on preparing the rest of the year aims

That is a lot for me and whilst I don’t want to put things in that are not achievable I believe it gives me enough to be going on with and will set a bench mark for future targets.
      Bronze
      Ok up early this morning, I have a really bad sleep pattern always have done, got to deal with this as well. (add to the list)

Played my first trial session at MT, SS and HEM not agreeing.

HM shows 14 games played, the max I could get going was 12 at one point, it felt like more than 14 tbh, but what ever. It felt ok only a couple of times timed out, got to 4 FT , ran bad but still made approx. 3 bi profit. So any thing above BE is extra.

I of course know that this is not enough tables, but first session and couldn't get more going. Because of what I am trying to achieve I was only playing 50cent 45+ sng's, if I open it up to the $1 I will get the volume I am after.

So playing on Stars for traffic, lowest BI possible for the training phase, no point dumping $$$ away. I play with one big stack and pull tables to the side if needing more attention, seems the right way.

Question sometimes when clicking for an action another table would then get that same action almost immediately I single clicked. Clearly ai with 10 bb is goner be ok, but if I instantly do the same action with 72 off that's another issue ( suck out needed) So what am I doing wrong, could I be accidently double clicking? Could it be mouse speed or any other thing?

Got to do at least 3 hrs. in the Garden shortly, put it off and agreed with the good lady to sort it today, want to get another couple of session in today, but it will not be for a few hours.

Regards

Steve
      Bronze
      So SS shows 15 games one more than HEM, I thought HEM was not working properly. I will monitor it a bit closer than post on the HEM forum.

SNG 01/09/2013 15 $0.15 $0.45 30.8% $2.31 63 33.3%

This shows up nearly 5 bi which is better than HEM reported, clearly I need accuracy. Shhhhhhhhhhhh bit to early to get the lawn mower going think I can fit an hour in.
      Bronze
      Test

Bronze
      Any quicker way to do this?
      I Print screen,
      Paste into Paint,
      Amend or edit as required,
      Upload to photobucket,
      Post link here, what an arse ache
      Bronze
      Test 2

Bronze
      Ok Day one of the rest of my life over and overall no complaints, well I have few but what ever.

Had 17 tables going at one point which is waaaaaayy above what i have ever played before, was bedlam and if I paused to think for a sec or 2 I had 3 or 4 tables bleeping for action, so no way I played it well. But that was not what I was trying to achieve. I played them, timed out once I therefore achieved what i wanted to do in that session. I suspect that 12 tables playing well is where I need to end up.

I also played the most games I have ever played at 52 in a day. (some times only do that in a month)

I played 2 x 3.50 for game study and whist didn't do to well did work on my HUD use.

SNG 01/09/2013 52 $0.13 $0.6 30.7% $6.69 62 25%

11 BI up is a bonus.

Sunday summary

Played 6.6 hrs.
      Attended a live coaching session for 1 hr.
      Studied HEM stats for 30 mins ( no clue what I am looking at )
      Read the Mental game for 1/2 hr. (in the bath good use of dead time.)
      3 hrs. in the garden

Today

Tie in HEM and SS discrepancies.
      Post 3 questions in the forum ( think this is needed as thread unlikely to get views and therefore answer any question I ask)
      Play 1.5hrs
      15 mins exercise.
      Sort out universal replayer
    • IvicaIliev77
      IvicaIliev77
      Bronze
      Great to see you running a blog Steve! Will definitely follow.
      Good luck with your goals and look forward to the updates :)
      Bronze
      Cheers mate.

Best laid plans of mice and men. Got an open enrolment even tonight and Thursday night so that's 2 nights out of this week I am going to be missing on the grind. If I can sneak away an hr. early tonight I will try to squeeze a short one in some where.

Did get an hr. in before work this morning, just played 4 as I could not run over, got bitch slapped wish I hadn't bothered now :)
    • arthurbentley
      arthurbentley
      Silver

Question sometimes when clicking for an action another table would then get that same action almost immediately I single clicked. Clearly ai with 10 bb is goner be ok, but if I instantly do the same action with 72 off that's another issue ( suck out needed) So what am I doing wrong, could I be accidently double clicking? Could it be mouse speed or any other thing?
      I wanted to do the same thing as you. Practice multi-tabling at the lowest stakes. In my case the 0.25 45-mans.

Well, the same thing happened to me on several occasions. I would click to take an action, and the next table waiting in line would also respond to the same exact action. Despite only pressing the once.

I once pressed the fold button, and the next table popped up where I had 80% of my chips already in the middle, heads up, with pocket aces. The f#*cker then folded my aces!!! The other players on the table must have thought I chip dumped or something. That or I was a complete moron. :P

This has happened to me several times and I thought it must be my mouse or something. But I also play on ipoker and have had no such problems there. So, clearly, something is wrong with Pokerstars software, or their software conflicts with certain computers. My computer is 6-years old with an old operating system. Maybe that has something to do with it? ?(
      Bronze
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/sng/2024/1/

Ok going to start working through these. Real life taking all my time at the moment, still " got an issue better get a tissue"
      Bronze
      Originally posted by arthurbentley

I wanted to do the same thing as you. Practice multi-tabling at the lowest stakes. In my case the 0.25 45-mans.

Well, the same thing happened to me on several occasions. I would click to take an action, and the next table waiting in line would also respond to the same exact action. Despite only pressing the once.

I once pressed the fold button, and the next table popped up where I had 80% of my chips already in the middle, heads up, with pocket aces. The f#*cker then folded my aces!!! The other players on the table must have thought I chip dumped or something. That or I was a complete moron. :P

This has happened to me several times and I thought it must be my mouse or something. But I also play on ipoker and have had no such problems there. So, clearly, something is wrong with Pokerstars software, or their software conflicts with certain computers. My computer is 6-years old with an old operating system. Maybe that has something to do with it? ?(

I have tried to adjust the sensitivity on my mouse to see if this helps, but I need to solve this problem coz i folded 10 10 twice when I needed to shove. Think I will have to post in the main forum.

Steve
      Bronze
      Wow, real life gets in the way more than I thought that it would.

Out of the 5 nights when I planned to play, 3 of them have been swallowed up with things that I just had to do. Yes I could have squeezed an hr in, but I was exhausted and is that really the right way to go? I suspect not.

Next week Students are in at my college and I know that with the new promotion I have had forced on me that is going to swallow time.

Still, that is one of the reasons to Blog, it helps you identify issues like this and will test determination....Grrrrrrrrrrrr
    • xHobox
      xHobox
      Bronze
      Good luck will be following
      Bronze
      Crappy day at work, with my newly forced promotion, I have been given a shit load to do.

Cliffs: find more students, make sure every drone we currently have achieves.

Got chance to go to see Monster trucks and dragsters with family this weekend, I guess Poker will still be waiting for me when I return. No wonder my volume is so pants. http://www.santapod.co.uk/

[img]http://[IMG]https://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w497/steveswift1/Drag_zps42484d68.jpg[/IMG][/img]