Stealing God's secrets and selling them to the Devil

• trickybob
      trickybob
      Bronze
      Blog number 3 – third time’s a charm!

What do I want to achieve?

I turn 46 next week and have made the decision that I want to give poker the best shot I can. I have worked out that a 2bb win rate at 100nl, playing 150k hands a month, would allow me to quit my job. This means playing 1k hands an hour for 35 hours a week. This is solely based on win rate and doesn’t include rakeback/supernova status. I would also plan for 7 hours of study a week.

I currently play at 25nl Zoom. I play 2 tables for about 500 hands per hour. So I need to double the number I play and play 2 levels higher. I am currently beating NL25 for 1bb/100 over a 100k sample. So it’s fair to say I have quite a bit of work to do!

I am quitting my job as a nursing home manager, looking after people who have dementia. The job is hugely stressful and impossible to achieve the standards required. There aren’t enough resources, structure or support and I don’t like failing people.

I am going to join the peripatetic nursing services, covering local nursing homes when they need nurse cover. I still like nursing and as most of the local homes work a long day system, this means three days at work and four days off a week. Hopefully, this will give me more time for poker.

Simple truth is I want to buy my own house, afford some holidays and be able to support my daughter as she nears adulthood. I see poker as way of achieving this.

I also love the game. I have been playing for about 5 years now and been grinding cash for about 3.

The first issue I face is time. Work takes up a lot of time. My daughter stays with us every other weekend, she is nearly 16. My girlfriend is very supportive, but she needs some time too. People and work take up a lot of time. Nothing wrong with this of course, but it is a truth.

The second issue I face is energy. All of the above are quite exhausting at times. This leaves me feeling flat. I often play when I’m tired because I have relatively small windows of opportunity. This isn’t +EV.

Goal 1

I need to change my lifestyle to make the most of the time I have for poker and to give me as much energy as possible.

Typical weeks will end with alcohol (quite a bit) on Friday and Saturday. This doesn’t help. On the weekends when I don’t have my daughter, I’m often staving off an alcohol induced diabetic attack by eating a ton of junk food. What I should be doing is getting on with playing and studying. Instead I am nursing a hangover.

I am wasting my time and energy.

I also survive on short term energy fixes: strong coffee in the morning, chocolate and biscuits, crisps and sandwiches, fast food, takeaway food. It isn’t healthy. I am overweight; I smoke and generally feel like something nasty is just around the corner!

So the first thing is to change my lifestyle.

- Give up alcohol
      - Give up cigarettes
      - Switch to the detox diet for 1 month
      - After the first month stick with the detox diet for 85% of time i.e. one day week allow some bad stuff, but not alcohol or cigarettes
      - Start doing some exercise by the end of the year
      - Do regular exercise next year i.e. at least twice a week

The detox diet is no caffeine, red meat, processed food, additives or preservatives, added salt, added sugar, cow dairy and any complex carbs except brown rice and porridge.

I believe this will give me both more time and better energy to focus on poker.

The exercise doesn’t need to be too intense – a walk along the cliffs will be fine.

Goal 2

There are a ton of things that I keep meaning to do with regards improving my game that I don’t do because I am essentially lazy. I intend to get focussed on these +EV tasks and stop procrastinating.

- Redesign my HUD
      - Review my regular opponents in my database. This means adopting a good note and colour coding system
      - Study Note Caddy Edge (I’ve had this program for a while and it looks useful!)

Goal 3

I recently completed reading Matt Janda’s book and I thought it was brilliant. It filled in many of the strategic blanks that I had. It made sense. As I was reading it I thought, this is it, this is the book. So with that in mind, I intend to use this as my study companion.

- Work on my opening ranges and pre flop play in general
      - Use Flopzilla to study and better understand ranges and board textures
      - Watch MJ’s videos in conjunction with study/reading through book again and again
      - Work out when GTO will be +EV and when exploitative lines are better (plenty of the latter I’d guess at 25nl)
      - Tie in the exploitative lines with opponent review/notes/colour coding

My time frame for all this is until 31.12.2014. About 16 months. At that point I will review where I am and make a decision about whether becoming a pro is achievable or if I’m just another kid with a dream – all be it quite an old kid.

I want to give it my best shot and not be left with any regrets of what might have been had I tried a bit harder.

I will blog twice a week, once mid-week and once at weekend. I will post my achievements and struggles, some hands, some theory/thoughts and probably a fair sprinkling of general life stuff.
  • 21 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      [x] in before everyone else!

Good luck!
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hey there trickybob, welcome back to blogging, sir!

Seems to me you have a lot of changes to make so take your time with them. I gave up smoking and it was the best thing ever, alcohol I haven't toally given up but it's an occasionally shared bottle of wine now only.

I don't know about a detox diet but it sounds painful, good luck with that one.

I haven't read the book but it seems very popular from what I have heard.

So, give it your best shot and I will for one be reading.

I wish you success, have fun and maybe post some pics of those cliffs for us? :s_cool:

Mal.
    • trickybob
      trickybob
      Bronze
      Thanks guys.

I started the detox a week ago. I'm still having a few drags on mrsbob's electronic, vapour cigarette thingy (she's giving up too). I spent the first three days of detox permanently eating and the last four days I've felt like I'm stoned! I have done this before and after about 10 days the benefits start to kick in i.e. a nice even energy flow throughout day.

I haven't played for over 2 weeks! Not sure where to start with it all but will begin soon.

:f_love:
    • summermonkey
      summermonkey
      Bronze
      Welcome back. I came back a couple of weeks before u. Hahahaha..
    • Hamishk
      Hamishk
      Bronze
      Nice title for your blog.

A Challenging list of goals you have set for yourself. Good Luck with them all.
    • trickybob
      trickybob
      Bronze
      @ summermonkey - good to see you back too, sir. :f_cool:

@Hamishk - ty. I have read some of your blog in the past and will catch up a bit over weekend.

I was 46 yesterday. It occurred to me that I have probably had more birthdays than I'm going to have.

Somebody once told me that you're old when you get less birthday cards than your age - I got 5 cards. :f_cry:

Mrsbob took me to the cinema where we watched Alpha Papa and We're the Millers. The first was my choice the second hers. Both made me laugh quite a bit. :f_biggrin:

I haven't done much of anything poker this week, other than make a start on my HUD and opponent/database review. So not much to write about, though I did find a lot of good online info regarding stats that I will probably write about/regurgitate later.
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Crikey. Good luck with all that. 46. Young. :f_mad:

Last night mrsjb was shopping for underpants online and asked me if I though 39-41 waist would be OK for me. I laughed, and said that she's been shrinking my underpants in the wash. She challenged me to measure my waist. Omg. Maybe I should detox too. But what about Chunky Kit Kats?
    • Hamishk
      Hamishk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jbpatzer

Last night mrsjb was shopping for underpants online and asked me if I though 39-41 waist would be OK for me. I laughed, and said that she's been shrinking my underpants in the wash. She challenged me to measure my waist. Omg. Maybe I should detox too. But what about Chunky Kit Kats?
      Mr Maths Professor, can you share the results of the waist challenge? That is, what is the circumference that the underpants have to be able to handle?

(I find it hard to believe I just asked that, but equally, I find it remarkable that a maths prof would post about his undies measurements... So, on the basis that if you don't ask, you don't get...)
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hamishk
      Originally posted by jbpatzer

Mr Maths Professor, can you share the results of the waist challenge? That is, what is the circumference that the underpants have to be able to handle?

(I find it hard to believe I just asked that, but equally, I find it remarkable that a maths prof would post about his undies measurements... So, on the basis that if you don't ask, you don't get...)
      Maths profs where underpants too you know.....as far as I know. Although with some of my colleagues I don't have a lot of confidence in their ability to remember to put them on.

Unfortunately 39-41 inches will be just fine for me. Luckily I can carry a little bit of extra weight as I am freakishly tall. :f_cry:
    • trickybob
      trickybob
      Bronze
      Hi jb :f_biggrin:

I take it most of the rest of us would refer to 39-41 inches as an XL pant size, which is a pretty hefty amount of pantage.

I am still without as much energy as I'd hoped for, though I do have more energy than last week and the headaches are easing ... a bit.

On the plus side I weighed myself and I've managed to lose half a stone in the first two weeks, so well done me. And all this without ever growing hungry. :f_eek:

Played a bit on Wednesday and lost 3bi (was so rusty) and won most of it back on Thursday. Picked peskydaughter up for weekend on Friday so haven't played or studied since then. I did though remember about the promotional flipament that Stars was running and manage to skilfully negotiate my way to a free $109 ticket, which I can use next Sat when I have flat to myself. :f_cool:

I finish the manager's role at end of next week, yippee!
      I'm handing over next week so expect to be pretty busy/tired, but am hopeful I can get on with some stuff poker related during evenings, though next weekend should be good to go.

Run well amigos.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Well, a belated happy birthday from me ( :facepalm: ) and well done losing the weight; so far so good, eh!?
      I thought 39-41 was getting into windsock territory until I tried to measure my own wait and there wasn't one.

Run good. :)
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Are you going to play the Zimmers on Thursday now that you're back in the PS fold?

I'm pleased to report that I'm finding my new pants slack and ill-fitting, which is feeding the illusion that I'm not a fat bastard.
    • mineriva
      mineriva
      Bronze
      yep comming back to zimmers will make u feel at home... the dementia et al.
    • trickybob
      trickybob
      Bronze
      Yes Zimmers sounds good.

Though not this week.

Winding things down at work before the job change, energy levels starting to pick up, clothes feeling a little looser.

Not much else to say.
    • trickybob
      trickybob
      Bronze
      Just a week to go on the detox and feeling pretty good now. My energy levels are improving with each passing week. I have stopped smoking the e-cigarette and generally feel pretty positive about the whole experience. :f_biggrin:

I finished the manager’s job on Monday and have taken a couple of days off before starting next job on Thursday. I’m with the same company, but will be working in a different home as a nurse. There will be some other opportunities in a few months but no more of that management shit for me! :f_thumbsup:

I have now had some time to spend on things poker (though still not playing very much) and have now sorted my HUD and have made a good start on database review of opponents as well as starting to get to grips with NoteCaddy Edge.

A few interesting observations on a small sample of players and hands:

I studied six players with a little over 6k hands between them. Three players were tight playing an average of 13/10 and three were more standard playing 21/16. All were playing at 25nl Zoom.

We can expect to see between 20 – 25 hole cards for each 1k of hands gathered on opponents. The looser the player the more we’re likely to see.

The Fold to 3bet sample averaged at 18/1k hands. I felt this would be a reasonable enough sample size to make decisions on, but relying on 9 after 500 hands would be quite variance heavy. This stat should not be relied on too heavily too soon.

The 4bet stat sample size is the same as the Fold to 3bet one and as such the same issues apply.

The Squeeze stat sample size was surprisingly big at 55/1k hands making it very useful at this point. Obviously this is nothing to do with player themselves, only the opportunity to squeeze as presented by other players’ actions. It does also suggest a lack of 3betting to create the opportunity.

The average Flop Cbet sample size was 40/1k hands and Fold to Flop Cbet was at 18/1k hands. Decent enough after 1k hands, probably useable at 500.

The average Turn Cbet sample size was only 7/1k hands and Fold to Turn Cbet was at 3/1k hands.

The average River Cbet sample size was 2/1k hands and Fold to River Cbet was at 9/1k hands.

The Turn and River stats echoed what I’d found in HM2 and that was that all but one of these players tended to play TPGK and often OP as a Flop Cbet and then flipped into Check/Call OOP and Check/Check IP mode with these hands. I made this note on five of the six of them. I’m not sure whether this is peculiar to this small group of players, but as I progress the opponent review, it is a trend I will look for.

Regardless of playing trends, the samples across the Turn and River Cbet and Folds are obviously too small even at 1k hands to pay too much attention too. I was going to remove them from the HUD but NCEdge puts a lot of good specific hand info on the pop up, so they stayed.

I also found HM2’s Opponent/ Player Analysis to be ridiculously easy to use and very useful. I will continue to review about five players at a time whenever I have a day off. As well as making notes to supplement the HUD, it is also useful to spend time with HM2, NCEdge and to look for general playing trends of other players.

Today I reviewed seven players with the most hand history against me (one was an uber-bad mid-stacker so I didn’t include him in much of the details), and this amounted to 6.5% of total hands I’ve played. I have calculated roughly that when I have reviewed all opponents with 500+ hands I will have reviewed about 20% of hands I have played. This seems pretty worthwhile to me.

I won’t have a day off until next week at some point and then it will be continuing with the reviews and making a start on opening ranges. :f_cool:

Long and tedious post so here's a little something that made me smile:

• trickybob
      trickybob
      Bronze
      Detox has now been four weeks, so only a couple of days to go.

peskydaughter had cheesey, Worcestershire sauce laden crumpets for breakfast today. Curse her evilness!

I have lost 9lb thus far. :f_thumbsup:

Off to get a tattoo sized up later and then off surfing tomorrow - exercise :f_eek:

Started new job this week, very enjoyable, but knackering spending most of day on my feet. The 12.5 hour long days are bit brutal, but so many more days off to get on with poker stuff :f_biggrin:

Feel pretty good at present. Getting healthy, getting over the lazy block with poker and no stress after work - awesome.

Hope it lasts!!
    • trickybob
      trickybob
      Bronze
      I have enjoyed some days off - got on well with my poker revamp, working hard at things and quite happy with how it's going. Playing occasionally, but more interested in unlearning all the bad habits I have.

Started on my preflop game, watching a few videos and reading Janda's book again. All good.

Five long days in a row at work now, so won't post until next week.

Have also finished reading Game of Thrones books. That was quite an effort! Will probably be waiting another four years for next one to come out. The books are enjoyable, but frustratingly slow paced and tend to meander quite a bit. Glad I'm done with them for a while, more time to focus on the important stuff. :f_cool:
    • trickybob
      trickybob
      Bronze
      I didn't realise it had been so long!

Oh well.

I had to cash out my bankroll from Stars due to poor bankroll management from me in general life stuff. I cashed 2k and left $125. So not sure whether I will be playing at 25nl for long - might take a shot at spinning up and then drop down if go below 100. Or might just drop down a bit and grind back.

I just don't seem to have much time recently and everything keeps getting in the way a bit.

Meh ...
    • trickybob
      trickybob
      Bronze
      Making slow but steady progress on my preflop play.

Have now put all of Janda's ranges into Flopzilla and am currently playing one table of Zoom whilst checking Flopzilla for what and how I should play.

Having started this I realise how loose and undisciplined my preflop game was.

I also now realise how dull preflop play is with discipline - can't wait to get on to the flop!!

Has to be done.

Serious grind head on.