Adding more tables

• WinStrat
      WinStrat
      Bronze
      I play Micro MTTs and I like to open around 6 tables.

I sometimes end up on "automatic pilot". When I get in tough spots on many tables at the same time, I feel I'm making many mistakes.

When the action settles down, I evaluate the situation and I have surprises like: How did I my stack get so big on that table! Or what happened to the table where I had AA allin?

I would like to open more tables but I think I reached my limit for now.

What do you think?
  • 8 replies
    • WinStrat
      WinStrat
      Bronze
      By the way, another thing I like to do is to keep all the tournaments lobby in view at all time. I want to see my position in all tournaments at all time, especially around the bubble. I don't know if this is an overkill but this eats up monitor space fast.

I didn't see many videos teaching about that aspect. Usually the coaches just take a look at their position near the bubble to see if they can abuse it by stealing blinds, but that's about it.
    • Wohmfg
      Wohmfg
      Silver
      You don't need to know where you are in the tourney most of the time. Nearly all of the money in MTTs is at the final table. You should be playing ChipEV most of the time.

If you are struggling with 6 tables I would move down.

Read this: Learn to multi table.

It has all you need to know on how to start adding more tables imo.
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Hey Winstrat =)

Wohmfg already mentioned the most important aspects.

Play as many tables as you can manage without losing too much focus. Try to add one extra table at a time and slowly improve your multitabling skills. Your goal should be at least 12 tables. Take your time and add tables slowly.

There is no need for tournament lobbys until you reach the final table (or get near it). They have no benefit and won't help you at all. If you need an overview hit the info button (at least if it is pokerstars). You will find you current position there.

Regards,
      Asaban
    • WinStrat
      WinStrat
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Wohmfg
      Read this: Learn to multi table.

It has all you need to know on how to start adding more tables imo.
      Thanks for the link, I like Jared Tendler.

I have his book The Mental Game of Poker and it has helped me reducing tilt.

I can see that "autopilot" is not a negative thing. This means part of my game (good or bad) is automatic and requires less energy to function.

As for 12 tables that will be a challenge. On some sites the play is extra fast, like Pokerstars, and you constantly have to make quick decisions.
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Most regulars will play 20 tables or even more. 12 tables is a solid number that should be possible for everybody. In the end you will just have to get used to it. Improve bit by bit and add tables very carefully and slowly and you will reach 12 tables at some point.

Regards,
      Asaban
    • WinStrat
      WinStrat
      Bronze
      Today I took a little step toward adding more tables. I did not add tables, but I made my tables a little smaller so I can get used to the new size. When I feel comfortable I'll simply add the extra tables.

Also I may have to use something like Table Ninja, Table Droid or Autohotkey to get the tables up faster and more efficiently.
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      I don't use one of these programs. The only program I use while playing is Pokertracker 4. Imo there is no need for further software. It might even lead to misclicks and is quite expensive itself.

I know very few players that actually use this kind of software. Most of them being 180men regulars. For MTT-only players it doesn't make a lot of sense imo. But that is obviously just a personal choice and if you feel that you would benefit from it there is nothing that speaks against it.

Regards,
      Asaban
    • WinStrat
      WinStrat
      Bronze
      Autohotkey is free. With a little programming work I can get the tables to correct size and position very fast. I just have to take the time to make the program.

I agree with you, Table Ninja and software like that could be an overkill.