Hello!

• Darkenwrath
      Darkenwrath
      Bronze
      Hello Everyone,

I'm in the UK, big lover of poker and decided to start on this site and try and learn and see how far I can get. Love texas hold'em and been playing micro limit cash games at the moment to see how well I'm understanding the basic material. I've got alot of the basic material down bit I've been wondering what's the best way to go about learning how to get better.

Do I get the poker software and learn how to use it to improve immediately?

Do I go through all the posts in order?

Should I be making notes and revising on what I've been learning from the site?

Should I be playing micro-limit poker while I'm still learning basics like pot ins and outs? (So far been making money more than losing using starting hands charts etc)
  • 5 replies
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Hey Darkenwrath,

Welcome to the forum!

How and how fast you learn is different for everybody. However, I certainly have a few recommendations and answers for you with regard to your questions!

Do I get the poker software and learn how to use it to improve immediately?
      Poker software such as Holdem Manager and PokerTracker can be incredibly useful, because it allows you to keep track of not only your opponents, but your own game as well. However, if you have no idea yet how to use the stats such software provides you, then it may not be worth getting them yet.

Also, such software is very useful for reviewing your sessions and posting hands for evaluation (the PokerStrategy.com SideKick is great for posting hands as well!).

Long story short, they are very useful, but not a requirement.

Do I go through all the posts in order?
      This, too, is dependent on how you learn. If you are looking to improve your game in a specific area, then you may want to just look for an article on a specific topic.

However, if you want to have a more structured approach to your learning process, then our No Limit Beginner's Course will be perfect for you: Beginner's Course

In the course, you will go over all the basic aspects of No Limit Holdem in a structured, well thought out manner. Many players have kick-started their game with this course, and it's an absolutely great starting point for any beginning player. I can strongly recommend taking this course if you are interested :)

Should I be making notes and revising on what I've been learning from the site?
      Yes!

Sorry for the caps, but taking notes on the articles you read and videos you watch will help you a lot, as will constantly revising them. Writing down notes and actively studying our content will help a lot more than, for example, passively watching a video and just trying to absorb all the information. That way you will tend to forget things, so taking notes is a great idea :)

Should I be playing micro-limit poker while I'm still learning basics like pot ins and outs? (So far been making money more than losing using starting hands charts etc)
      And again, yes!

The micro limits are great for learning the basics of the game without risking too much money. So starting at the micro limits and working your way up the stakes is certainly the way to go when you're starting out.

Sorry for the wall of text, but hopefully this has helped :f_biggrin:

Just let us know if you need anything and we'll be here to help.

Hopefully we'll see you around the forum more often!

Kind regards,
      Tino
    • Darkenwrath
      Darkenwrath
      Bronze
      Your information has been super helpful thankyou! I'll look into the beginner course right away. I do have one question about the software, I've downloaded sidekick and I'm playing on 770. Do I just open up sidekick then open up 770 and play and it'll record? Or do I need to go through some software shennanigans to link the two?
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Well well, hello there Darkenwrath and firstly, welcome to the community here!

Right so the highly recommended thing to do is register for the NL Beginners Course, it free and all you need to do is click the big green banner at the bottom of this post and it'll take you to all the information you need.
      It's totally free to join and you get to ask questions of the superbly patient - believe me I know, I did the course - professional coaches, whilst they show you in live [and theoretical] sessions, just how it's done. Did I mention it's free? :s_love:
      You don't have to attend every lesson [there are eight], the course is cyclic - (no that's cyclic! :D ) - so if you miss some you can catch up later; easy game!

As for software, the most popular seem to be Holdem Manager and Poker Tracker, they both have free trials and you can download them here:
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/addreply.php?threadid=273442

For analysing your game, please download the Pokerstrategy.com Equilab form the same page. Yep, that's free as well. :f_love:

Make sure you post any hands that made you go; 'Hmmm, not quite sure what I should do here...'. Post them in the Poker Strategy and Hand Evaluation forums for whatever limit you are playing, for the professional Hand Judges to look at. They will point you in the right direction as to what to do in certain situations. This is a valuable thing to do to get better at playing poker, use it a lot!

Here is the information about how to post hands in the forums:

How to use the hand evaluation forum

That should keep you going for now, but if you need any further help you know where we are!

Good luck, have fun and keep asking questions!

Mal.
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Darkenwrath
      Your information has been super helpful thankyou! I'll look into the beginner course right away. I do have one question about the software, I've downloaded sidekick and I'm playing on 770. Do I just open up sidekick then open up 770 and play and it'll record? Or do I need to go through some software shennanigans to link the two?
      Nope, all you need to do is, like you said, open up the SideKick and then your poker client and you're pretty much set. All that remains is making sure your poker client saves your hand history.

Here's the download guide for the SideKick, which should be able to help you in that regard: PokerStrategy.com SideKick - Download guide

Also, take all of Mal's advice as well, about Equilab and the hand evaluations, some excellent advice right there :)
    • adigator89
      adigator89
      Bronze
      Hey Buddy.. This is Adi, Writting you from Chemnitz.
      I am not a big fan of tracking software and i play hands most of the time to its merit and always stick to the 'Dont's ' in poker and then you will automatically get better and better with time..
      Its not about winning many hands up front.. Its always good to win the last hand

Never worry about your losses , You might have some in the long run.
      Try to focus upon your character of game play and you will be a great player.

When you are play Micro limits, It happens that most of the players are beginners and its sometimes too easy to win or lose but you always have to make sure that the way you play is appropriate..

For example : Calling an All in with pocket AA preflop , is a correct play..But if you lose it..You should just take it to your next game because poker has no place for Ego and anger.. If you have these, oyu will lose your bankroll..

Have a nice time