calling with JTs

• Evante
      Evante
      Bronze
      JTs to call or not to call.

Against a Tight opponent, it is good to call because of JTs capability to hit the flop.

Against a loose opponent,it is good to call because you dont get dominated frequently and also at times you can semi bluff and make him fold.

Then again in a 3bet pot, Out of position it is also a good hand to call a 3bet regardless how tight is the 3bet range?
  • 7 replies
    • Walshnm
      Walshnm
      Bronze
      What format of game are we discussing?

This is v. important

How tight is tight?

Calling anything 3x + pre vs. a super nit is probably a bad play

How loose is loose?

Just because an opponent is loose pre does not imply he will stack off when you flop big or will fold to later aggression.

I think to do anything "regardless" is usually considered a flawed strategy from the outset. If you have 1k hands on him and he has never 3bet do you think playing with J10s is a strong move (especially out of position)? Probably not!

Play the player not the cards (or the stats) :)
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      JTs is not a good hand to call 3bet OOP in my opinion. Their 3bet range would have to be super wide or their postflop skills atrocious for it to be profitable. Probably the only spot I like to call JTs OOP facing 3bet is SB vs BB.
    • Walshnm
      Walshnm
      Bronze
      Originally posted by metza
      JTs is not a good hand to call 3bet OOP in my opinion. Their 3bet range would have to be super wide or their postflop skills atrocious for it to be profitable. Probably the only spot I like to call JTs OOP facing 3bet is SB vs BB.
      I totally agree - I know it's a pretty hand but it is still only J HIGH! Plus 2/3 times you are gonna brick and get c-bet to oblivion. Just fold and wait for a better spot :D
    • Evante
      Evante
      Bronze
      so u guys are totally fine playing with it IP?
    • Walshnm
      Walshnm
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Evante
      Depends on the situation!

More information is needed to justify a float/3bet

GL
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      On BTN will call pretty often vs blinds 3bet, especially if 3x and not 4x

CO not so often

UTG/MP basically always fold it to 3bets, probably only vs SB/BB whale 3betting will I call

IP is much easier since many players 3bet and cbet once then give up w bluffs. If they are a loose 3better I like to flat it and call cbet w pairs/draws/decent backdoor draws eg J :spade: T :spade: on 9 :heart: 5 :spade: 2 :club: . If they give up on turn we can bet and take it down with nothing, if they barrel we can shove over it on a Q/8/ :spade: and it looks very strong. (Obviously you cant abuse this or it becomes to easy to call)
    • Walshnm
      Walshnm
      Bronze
      Originally posted by metza
      On BTN will call pretty often vs blinds 3bet, especially if 3x and not 4x

CO not so often

UTG/MP basically always fold it to 3bets, probably only vs SB/BB whale 3betting will I call

IP is much easier since many players 3bet and cbet once then give up w bluffs. If they are a loose 3better I like to flat it and call cbet w pairs/draws/decent backdoor draws eg J :spade: T :spade: on 9 :heart: 5 :spade: 2 :club: . If they give up on turn we can bet and take it down with nothing, if they barrel we can shove over it on a Q/8/ :spade: and it looks very strong. (Obviously you cant abuse this or it becomes to easy to call)
      +1

P.S. Personally I will sometimes fold on BTN vs. blind 3bets depending on threebet frequency.