Taking a wage // How much should I get payed?

• Walshnm
      Walshnm
      Bronze
      Hello All!!

New to this forum but have been playing for a long time online.

Was wondering how you guys think it is best to work out a wage (so to speak) if you are playing poker professionally (or as a source of income).

Do you pay our per hour?

Do you pay out based on performance?

Do you just give and take when you need cash?

I imagine the best way would be to pay yourself what your average hourly rate would be unless you were planning on reinvesting and moving up the stakes (e.g.) in which case a percentage of the total. In that same vein I suppose you ensure you are getting rewarded regardless of run bad etc?

Interested to hear other opinions.

• 9 replies
    • maritsula
      maritsula
      Silver
      Personally i cash out most of rakeback/bonuses
    • Walshnm
      Walshnm
      Bronze
      Only RB and Bonuses?
    • maritsula
      maritsula
      Silver
      Originally posted by Walshnm
      Only RB and Bonuses?
      In my case yes. Since I want to increase my BR and move up stakes I have to withdraw only a part of profits.

If you are asking the question to find out how much you should be withdrawing each month it would be good if you posted info like limits you play/winrate/plans of moving up if any/if you are playing full-time/if its your only source of income etc so viewers can give you an educated answer
    • Walshnm
      Walshnm
      Bronze
      No it's just a general discussion thread - I have a good idea of what works for me but was wondering other people's thoughts or methods.

Thanks for the additional info - makes sense if your increasing the BR

Happy Grinding :D
    • Phgrinder
      Phgrinder
      Bronze
      i dont play professionally but i would imagine doing the same thing as rakeback / bonuses also up until you get to the point where you plateau at a certain limit.

once there i would imagine cashing out 25-35% of the monthly profits.
    • maritsula
      maritsula
      Silver
      No it's just a general discussion thread - I have a good idea of what works for me but was wondering other people's thoughts or methods.

Thanks!

What method do you use?
    • Walshnm
      Walshnm
      Bronze
      Originally posted by maritsula

Thanks!

What method do you use?
      Usually I would take 50% of my average hourly rate any any level x Hours played in given week regardless of profit/loss.

I think this keeps you focused on volume without deterring you from playing during downswings (assuming you are appropriately rolled) and also allows for reinvestment.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Not a big money spender so just take whatever is needed. Your way of doing it is best tho.
    • Walshnm
      Walshnm
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      Not a big money spender so just take whatever is needed. Your way of doing it is best tho.
      I have issues with spending too much cash so I have to make it work for me :D Thanks for the post!