Can you teach an old fish new tricks? (Rising from rock bottom)

• Walshnm
      Walshnm
      Bronze
      Can you teach an old fish new tricks?

Can ANYONE learn to play profitable poker?

Can this fish rise from (the metaphorical) depths?

Me: UK based American export with a passion for poker and the conviction to invest unhealthy amounts of time in the pursuit of profitable poker (Any +net will do).

My Goal: To ensure that 8 years of heartbreak/ jubilation/ discovery/ profit/ loss/ boom switches/ doom switches/ beats/ suckouts/ etc. are finally justfied. To finally take the steps to becoming a consistently winning online poker player. After that...Who knows!

You (the reader): Anyone who has ever doubted themselves (Their game) or ever stared in rage at a computer screen wondering (possibly screaming) if it is really possible to beat the fish/the rake/mental obstacles and make money playing online poker. Anyone who would like to follow journey of one fish into the unknown. Also...Anyone who found the title of this blog amusing and the occasional shark to LOL at my expense :D You are welcome too.

So first of all I guess I lied.

I'm not that old but when I think about all the stories of 18 (+/-) year old prodigies making their first million from a freeroll it makes 8 years of poker seem like an eternity!

I'm also not really a fish. Although my poker education has been sporadic, slow, and sometimes downright misinformed, I have been playing winning poker for sometime - MY PROBLEM - Consistency!! I change games, I change stakes, I change strategy, I change software - SO BY EXTENSION I OFTEN CHANGE MY BANKROLL STATUS TO BANKRUPT ($0) - Hard truths. :(

And so with those small confessions we come to the root of the problem.

It is my hope that with this blog to keep me on track and through the power of POKERSTRATEGY.COM I will find the path to success at the tables and possibly get some help from you (The reader) and you (The community).

The Plan: With the $80 currently invested in a FullTilt Poker account I will play $5NL 6-Max following roughly a 10BI progression to move up stakes - Finally graduating to the game which I would ideally like play full time HUNL (Starting at $50HUNL). All the while I will also be coached by an anonymous professional poker benefactor (Hence the title) and I will also be attempting to find staking/backing in the near future (please contact if interested).

Commencing week 9th Sept 2013 Weekly HEM Reports will be posted for your viewing pleasure/ humor. Perhaps the embarrassment factor will spur me to focus more on my game? Accompanying my reports will be general musings and thoughts - THIS IS NOT JUST A BANKROLL CHALLENGE.

Hope this will be interesting for you guys - later posts will be short and sweet :D

Until then - JUST KEEP SWIMMING!!
  • 58 replies
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      In before busto
    • Walshnm
      Walshnm
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jmackenzie
      In before busto
      Give me a couple months then HU4ROLLZ :D

Thanks for the post JLHM
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      Originally posted by Walshnm
      Originally posted by jmackenzie
      In before busto
      Give me a couple months then HU4ROLLZ :D

Thanks for the post JLHM
      Don't post my user its a secret!

But yea I'll be waiting you know where to find me...
    • Itsnevereasy
      Itsnevereasy
      Bronze
      Subbed. Should be interesting to read. :s_biggrin:
    • Walshnm
      Walshnm
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Itsnevereasy
      Subbed. Should be interesting to read. :s_biggrin:
      Thanks - promises to be interesting (FOR BETTER OR FOR WORSE) :D
    • iFortunatus
      iFortunatus
      Bronze
      I felt like the first post was wrote by me, exactly the same! will be following good luck
    • Walshnm
      Walshnm
      Bronze
      Originally posted by iFortunatus
      I felt like the first post was wrote by me, exactly the same! will be following good luck
      Thanks!! GL GL GL
    • Walshnm
      Walshnm
      Bronze
      THE FIRST POST

I know you have all been shaking with anticipation at seeing the results from what can only be described as an EPIC grinding week. EPIC is an interesting word...For reasons which you will see below - BUT FIRST!!

I thought it could be funny/ interesting to document the grind conditions which I have subjected myself to (or more specifically - WHERE I HAVE BEEN SITTING ALL FUCKING WEEK!!).

Grind station alpha - Laptop + 27'' combo - NOTE: Guitar/ Drum set/ Coffee Stains/ Chocolate/ Playboy Mags/ Ipad (With every video service available)/ Motivational (hand written) signs for optimal grind conditions and (failed) tilt control.

Grind station beta - Laptop + Projector combo projected onto bedroom wall - NOTE: Complete lack of life :D

ANYWAY...

The results of this week have been mixed but, considering I haven't played 6-max in what seems like an age combined with the fact that I desperately wanted to post unbelievable profit week one was always going to be interesting.

$58 Profit incl. RB // $.65 an hour (LOLINGTON ROFLCOPTER)

Early-week:
      Started out playing $10NL (with the plan to move down if I fell below $50 and right off the bat started strong but as you can see I was still adjusting to 6-max and was winning lots of flips (LOL AT THE -EV - YOU KNOW YOU WANT TOO!).

Mid-Week:
      $10NL Went very, very, very pear-shaped. At this point I was actually adjusting well but I went through a really rough patch where I lost several BI. I revisited the sessions to see what went wrong and the run down is essentially severe run bad combined with some monumental settups.

MOST NOTABLY: House over House x 3 (At a loss of 3BI) + Top house over quads x 2 (At a loss of 2BI)

FML

Late-Week:
      As planned I moved down to $5NL and tried to continue the grind in a professional non-tilty way. Trying to adjust my game and plug leaks as I went. Found my stride and made a last minute comeback (sorta...).

FINAL THOUGHTS
      I think my graph and results are a testament to solid RB/ bonus acquisition and despite the fact I didn't totally crush it I am pretty please with my composure in the face of some pretty horrific settups. I am looking forward to getting to diamond edge status and above for even better RB etc. I think the leaks are getting sorted so I am expecting a much more solid performance next week.

I would also note that I played roughly 40K hands which, please correct me if I'm wrong, is pretty mental at non-zoom CG?

Things that helped:

- STOP LOOKING AT HEM CURRENT SESSION - JUST GRIND!!!

- Making RIDICULOUS signs to stay out of robot mode

- Background music

- Background movies

- Regular breaks (non poker related)

- Writing poker blog :D

That's all for this week - Good luck at the tables and remember...

Just keep swimming :D
    • Walshnm
      Walshnm
      Bronze
      P.S. Please comment and subscribe if you like what I am doing - Also any feedback based on limited information is always valuable to a student of the game :D

GL GL GL
    • Walshnm
      Walshnm
      Bronze
      WEEK TWO

So another week has passed and another HEM report is ready but before that - I request you listen to this while you read:

Yesssss that can only mean one thing - I (FEEL) like I have turned a small corner in my 6-max learning :D

HERE YOU GO!!

$65.90 Profit incl. RB // $1.55 an hour (LOLINGTON ROFLCOPTER)

Early-week:
      So as discussed the $5NL 6-max continued and we set off at a normal pace not much to report.

Mid-Week:
      Weeeeelllll - As you can see by the VAST EXPANSE between EV and actually winnings - I COULD HAVE KILLED MYSELF AT THIS STAGE!! But, being a consistent and non-tilted (YEH RIGHT) poker baller, I decided to keep cool and JUST KEEP SWIMMING!! If I could sum up this section - I couldn't win when I got it in AND just to show how bad I was running at showdown:

- KK vs. AA x 5

- Set vs. Set x 3

- and one of my fav. situations this week shown below - Value overshove vs. calling station:

$0.02/$0.05 No Limit Holdem
      FullTiltPoker
      6 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com

Stacks:
      UTG SaidMag ($5.08) 102bb
      UTG+1 oxente33 ($6.29) 126bb
      CO smiler8 ($4.07) 81bb
      BTN Eggnoc ($5.56) 111bb
      SB Lekkebusch ($4.36) 87bb
      BB Hero ($5.07) 101bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.07, 6 players) Hero is BB 8:spade: 8:heart:
      3 folds, Eggnoc raises to $0.15, Lekkebusch calls $0.13, Hero calls $0.10

Flop: 8:club: 5:spade: A:spade: ($0.45, 3 players)
      Lekkebusch checks, Hero bets $0.25, Eggnoc raises to $0.75, Lekkebusch folds, Hero goes all-in $4.92, Eggnoc calls $4.17

Turn: A:club: ($10.29, 2 players, 1 all-in)

River: 9:heart: ($10.29, 2 players, 1 all-in)

Final Pot: $10.29
      Eggnoc shows a full house, Aces full of Nines
      A:heart: 9:diamond:
      Hero shows a full house, Eights full of Aces
      8:spade: 8:heart:

Eggnoc wins $9.78 (net +$4.71)

Hero collects $0.00 (net -$5.07)
      Lekkebusch lost $0.15

AFTER WHICH THIS WAS THE COMMENT IN THE BOX :

"Had you on a bluff"

"It's kind of justice because you played a set so terribly"

YOU JUST HAVE TO LOL AT THESE IDIOTS

FML

Late-Week:
      Had a couple good sessions and started to climb out of the hole all of which culminated with my first session with my lovely coach. CAN YOU SPOT WHERE MY FIRST LESSON WAS? (INSERT PWNAGE HERE)

Generally my game was solid (apparently) but after an hour session with the man himself - I was crushing and as you can see the red line makes a big difference to the final outcome. Really happy with the results and at week two, despite epic runbad, we have more than doubled the initial investment after RB.

FINAL THOUGHTS
      Great week in the end and since start of week one I have def. plugged some big leaks. As any good poker player knows - we are always learning so gotta keep up the grind and try and take better notes/ add stuff to the HUD as needed.

I guess this week I also really felt like the BR should be deeper than I had anticipated in the past. Mid-week was really, really, really tough and even though I knew I was getting it in good it felt awesome to know I still had 10 BI behind me as a buffer.

Things that helped:

- COACHING

- Opponent revision / Notes

- HUD UPDATES

- Multi-table report revision

That's all for this week - Good luck at the tables and remember...

Just keep swimming
    • Hashkan
      Hashkan
      Bronze
      Yeeey dude got sad when i saw the first graph but even more happier when i saw the second graph :D . LEts do this. Following.
      What music do u lissen to when grind? Iv got some sick songs if u like hiphop for grinding.
      This my latest playlist
      "Nipsey Hussle ft The game - They roll"
      "Warren G & Sissel - Prince Igor"
      ""Warren G feat Nate Dogg - Regulate"
      "Dj premier feat Kanye West, Nas, Rakim, Krs one - classic"
      "The Game - California Sunshine"
      "The Game - Valley of death"
      "The Game - Bricks to billboards"

Good luck
    • Walshnm
      Walshnm
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hashkan
      Yeeey dude got sad when i saw the first graph but even more happier when i saw the second graph :D . LEts do this. Following.
      What music do u lissen to when grind? Iv got some sick songs if u like hiphop for grinding.
      This my latest playlist
      "Nipsey Hussle ft The game - They roll"
      "Warren G & Sissel - Prince Igor"
      ""Warren G feat Nate Dogg - Regulate"
      "Dj premier feat Kanye West, Nas, Rakim, Krs one - classic"
      "The Game - California Sunshine"
      "The Game - Valley of death"
      "The Game - Bricks to billboards"

Good luck
      Nice one dude :D

I usually listen to lots of random stuff on shuffle - Like Hip-hop, metal, classical, dance etc. etc. etc. very eclectic.

These are 5 random shuffles - I'll send you 5 random shuffles a week? Not sure if you will like all of it but I guess we are gamblers :D

1.) The After Party - Bad Books (Try and find the acoustic version if possible)

2.) Freedom - Rage against the machine

3.) Blood Splashing (Fake blood theme) - Fake Blood

4.) Aesthetics of hate - Machine head

5.) Lithium - Nirvana

Run good fish :D

GL GL GL
    • Walshnm
      Walshnm
      Bronze
      P>S> Bonus track for when your stoned:

Flume - Change
    • Hashkan
      Hashkan
      Bronze
      lol nice gonna lissen to all of them. ty
    • seranpoker
      seranpoker
      Bronze
      GL GL following!
    • Walshnm
      Walshnm
      Bronze
      Originally posted by seranpoker
      GL GL following!
      Tx mate :D
    • Stu24023
      Stu24023
      Bronze
      good job with the posts, btw who is ur coach?
    • Walshnm
      Walshnm
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Stu24023
      good job with the posts, btw who is ur coach?
      Super top secret!! He is primarily a HU pro but he started the life roll from nil at 6-max. Possibly will divulge at a later date if he agrees ;)

GL GL GL
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Nice blog. Will follow with interest.