My thread for the Beginner's Course

  • 11 replies
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Joined: 01.06.2010 Posts: 4,135
      Hey theheapps

      Welcome to the beginners course. I hope you enjoy the course and enjoy No-Limit for that matter. Look forward to seeing your intro homeworks when you're ready of course.

      Regards,
      Luke
    • theheapps
      theheapps
      Bronze
      Joined: 06.02.2013 Posts: 10
      Originally posted by legand73
      Hey theheapps

      Welcome to the beginners course. I hope you enjoy the course and enjoy No-Limit for that matter. Look forward to seeing your intro homeworks when you're ready of course.

      Regards,
      Luke
      Where do I find the homework assignment and where do I post the work?

      By the way, thanks for your welcome. I am looking forward to learning.

      theheapps
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Joined: 12.05.2010 Posts: 27,588
      Hi theheapps,

      You can find everything you need here: Welcome to the No Limit Beginners Course Forums

      Once you are ready to complete a homework post your responses here.
    • theheapps
      theheapps
      Bronze
      Joined: 06.02.2013 Posts: 10
      [quote]Originally posted by BogdanPS
      Hi theheapps,

      You can find everything you need here: Welcome to the No Limit Beginners Course Forums

      Once you are ready to complete a homework post your responses here.[/
      quote]

      Very frustrating! I went to the "Welcome to the No Limit Beginners Course Forums as suggested, but I could not find any assignment for my first homework.

      What is the first homework assignment? I would gladly do the homework--IF I KNEW THE ASSIGNMENT!!!!!!!!!!

      theheapps
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Joined: 01.06.2010 Posts: 4,135
      Hey theheapps

      sorry for the inconvenience. In the link that bogdan provided there is a link that shows you the course overview which has the lesson plans/curriculum.

      From there, there are links to each lesson plan's overview.

      Here is the link for lesson 1. You'll find the homework at the bottom. :)

      Regards,
      Luke
    • theheapps
      theheapps
      Bronze
      Joined: 06.02.2013 Posts: 10
      Thanks!
    • theheapps
      theheapps
      Bronze
      Joined: 06.02.2013 Posts: 10
      My 1st homework assignment.

      !. My motivation for playing poker is twofold. First, I am a retired 72 year-old. I think that playing serious poker will keep my mind active. General info seems to indicate that "keeping the mind active" is an important activity to help prevent dementia. Second, enjoying financial rewards from playing poker would be beneficial to me and my family--I am "on" Social Security."

      2. My main problem when playing poker is that I find that I sometimes "stray" from successful strategies that I have learned, mostly because I do not "trust" their efficacy and, in the heat of the moment, succumb to temptation and impulsively make "improvements."

      3. "Tight Agressive Play" is limiting the hands I play to those with a "positive expectation." This means playing carefully and playing relatively few starting hands. When I do play to play a hand, I play the hand aggressively--seldom calling, mostly betting or raising.
    • theheapps
      theheapps
      Bronze
      Joined: 06.02.2013 Posts: 10
      I posted my homework several days ago!
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Joined: 12.05.2010 Posts: 27,588
      Originally posted by theheapps
      My 1st homework assignment.

      !. My motivation for playing poker is twofold. First, I am a retired 72 year-old. I think that playing serious poker will keep my mind active. General info seems to indicate that "keeping the mind active" is an important activity to help prevent dementia. Second, enjoying financial rewards from playing poker would be beneficial to me and my family--I am "on" Social Security."

      2. My main problem when playing poker is that I find that I sometimes "stray" from successful strategies that I have learned, mostly because I do not "trust" their efficacy and, in the heat of the moment, succumb to temptation and impulsively make "improvements."

      3. "Tight Agressive Play" is limiting the hands I play to those with a "positive expectation." This means playing carefully and playing relatively few starting hands. When I do play to play a hand, I play the hand aggressively--seldom calling, mostly betting or raising.
      Congrats on finishing your first assignment.

      Feel free to proceed through the homeworks at your own pace. You do not need to wait for our approval to continue on :)

      I recommend doing a homework a week, if time permits.

      Keep up the good work and let us know if you have any specific questions.

      Best regards,

      Bogdan
    • theheapps
      theheapps
      Bronze
      Joined: 06.02.2013 Posts: 10
      2nd Homework Assignment

      1: I do not think that I have the necessary experience, knowledge or instincts to make any changes to the Starting Hand Chart at this time--perhaps later, after playing it faithfully for thousands of hands. Therefore, I intend to follow it carefully and faithfully.

      2: Hand posted for Evaluation in hand evaluation Forum (JJ in SB)


      3: 46.32%
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Joined: 12.05.2010 Posts: 27,588
      Originally posted by theheapps
      2nd Homework Assignment

      1: I do not think that I have the necessary experience, knowledge or instincts to make any changes to the Starting Hand Chart at this time--perhaps later, after playing it faithfully for thousands of hands. Therefore, I intend to follow it carefully and faithfully.

      2: Hand posted for Evaluation in hand evaluation Forum (JJ in SB)


      3: 46.32%
      Congrats on finishing the homework.

      For #1 you can definitely think about what may influence your card choices.

      For example, your position, stack size (effective) and information on your opponents should all weigh in when making a choice to play a hand or not.

      So if you have a big fish in front of you limping you'd want to raise a bit looser.