Working like a mexican - 10 2 10

• JCSeerup
      JCSeerup
      Bronze
      Hello,

// About me

Some of you might know me from previous blogs, but for those who don't know me, my name is Jens Christian, I'm 20 years old, from Denmark, but I just moved to Dublin, Ireland to work abroad for a year or two before going back to the books and get an education.

About my poker background, I was first introduced to poker when I was 15 years old and a friend of mine told me that we could deposit $50 on Full Tilt and split the profits, after an hour we had about $120 which seemed like a lot of money back then, so we cashed out and that was the point when I got hooked. What I didn't know back then was it was pure variance, so I kept depositing $10 or $20 and played until I lost because I just had no idea what I was doing.

When I was 17 years old I discovered Pokerstrategy and got a $50 bankroll on Party Poker, but still had no clue what I was doing and never worked on my game, so I blew it away pretty quickly.

I don't remember why, but in December 2012 I decided that I wanted to be a winning poker player, so I started to watch videos a different training sites, read articles and post hands, so since then I have been winning, and I think I have reached the point where I am starting to be in profit for my poker carer overall.

I have had a break from poker for a while because of some personal stuff that took up a lot of my time and just when I wanted to get back into poker I moved to London and now Dublin, where I haven't been able to play for a while because my poker accounts still are registered as danish, so I have to play on the .dk client, and I just got my "keycard" sent from Denmark recently.

I just started playing again a couple days ago with a $30 bankroll, I'm playing NL2 FR, and after a couple days play I have managed to double my roll, so I'm now up to NL5, I plan on shooting at NL5 when I hit $100, which hopefully will be at the end of this week if everything goes well.

// Aim and purpose of this blog

What I hope to accomplice with this blog is pretty much to have have fun writing about what I do in the poker world and what I can relate to that, I always enjoy writing my thought on forums and it makes me feel like I actually do something productive.

If we look at what I hope to accomplice with this blog poker wise, I always feel more motivated to work harder on accomplishing my goal when I have written them down online and I hate to let people see me not accomplishing the goals I set for my self, so the main goal with this blog is to get motivated to play a lot and study hard.

// What you can expect from this blog

I love blogging, so I knew I was going to write a blog, but what purpose I wanted with I was a bit unclear to me, so what I came up with was to write my weekly goals and at the end of the week I will sum up the goals and results of the week.

Beside that I will write about how I progress, what I learn and how I will recommend other people to attack a similar goal on moving up through the limits starting from the bottom. I will also try to recommend material I find useful. And write about whatever comes to my mind.
  • 73 replies
    • carrapa
      carrapa
      Bronze
      I wish you the best and hope that you reach your goals! Remember, all you need is patience, persistence, self-control and be willing to keep on learning everyday ;)
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      Hello there JCSeerup,

you are only 20 and you already have a nice poker history =) . It is never to early to start our poker careers if we are not caught by poker room :f_cool: .

As you love blogging i have no doubt that you will keep us updated on your progress. It is always very nice to hear a successful story. I personally also like that you started at NL2FR since this really is a great first step on the long journey.

When you will came across certain hands when you will have some doubts about your play don't forget to post them to our Hand Evaluation Forum.

I look forward to see some nice giraffe here and i wish you all good look on achieving your goals regarding poker and of course personal life.

BTW: great blog topic you chose. If you are half smart as Sheldon Cooper you might reach NL1000 in a year :s_love:
    • LendarTecho
      LendarTecho
      Bronze
      Wish you all GL. I also play at NL2 and NL5 and it is pretty easy at those limits. Just keep you head cool.
      And also, thumbs up for the topic name.
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      GL JC. :)

Love the blog title
    • JCSeerup
      JCSeerup
      Bronze
      Since I started the blog my results/performance at the tables have been really bad, I like to think that I'm running bad, but I think it's mainly bad play, I have had a long break so I feel very rusty, I have forgotten about all the opening-ranges, so that is obviously something I need to work on, other than that I need to memorize where the fold button is. I always tell myself that people at 2NL bluff all the time and their ranges are weak, but in reality I don't give them enough credit, so that is also something I need to work on.

Tonight when I got back from Dublin I read the forums and came across this link Krantz posted in his AMA thread, and it got me motivated to start doing some serious studying. So I just watched the two first episodes in a "Mathematics of NL Hold'em". The two first episodes were very basic, it was mainly about how to calculate pot-odds, implied-odds, equity etc. but I didn't want to skip them and it was also nice to get the concepts refreshed. Now I will probably watch one or two episodes more and probably go to bed.

Here is the graph for this month so far:

• JCSeerup
      JCSeerup
      Bronze
      It's been a couple days since I last updated my blog, so I feel like it's time for an update.

Since my last update I started on my new work, or well I sit around and look at the other workers do their job while I wait for my training program to start next week. But I'm still there so I can't play as much as I have been able to up until now.

Since my last update I have stopped playing zoom, mainly because I have to run windows on my Mac in order to play with a HUD, and it runs very slow, so I time all the time and it's simply just a drag. So in the weekend and monday I played a bunch of tournaments where I ran like shit, but I still think I was pretty close to BE, I also played a bunch of HU SNG's but I found the variance to be very high, but I was also around BE there.

Yesterday I was finally able to register my Full Tilt account to my new address, so I'm now able to play there, so I have started grinding NL2 FR. The games are insanely soft, but I can only play 12 tables on my Macbook Pro, which even might drag the WR down quite a bit.

This week I didn't set any goals for myself because I din't know how much time I had, but next week I will make a list of goals I will try to follow. For the rest of this week I will try to re-watch the "Mathematics of NL Hold'em" and take some notes to it, maybe also watch a video or two by Threads13, since my game still is pretty rusty, and hopefully also be able to play 2-2,5K hands a day.

Edit: Forgot one thing, for the first time ever I won an online competition :f_biggrin: , I won a copy of Bet-Raise-Fold, but I already had it, so I told them they could give it to someone else.
    • capsize101
      capsize101
      Originally posted by JCSeerup
      Edit: Forgot one thing, for the first time ever I won an online competition :f_biggrin: , I won a copy of Bet-Raise-Fold, but I already had it, so I told them they could give it to someone else.
      Upswing incoming! Gl at the tables.
    • JCSeerup
      JCSeerup
      Bronze
      I havent updated my blog for a while since I have been so busy with work, so I have been too tired and unmotivated to play lately, but a couple days ago I opened a new stars account in the .com client since my .dk account couldn't be changed. This means that I now can get a new shot at the 100% first deposit up to $600, so I deposited $150 and started grinding 5NL which have been pretty successful so far. I plan on depositing $450 more when I have cleared the $150, so I can get as much as possible from the bonus.

I haven't had time to study the game either for the same reason as why I haven't played lately, but now that I have started playing again I try a lot of things and how they work in practice which have work out great. Another reason that I don't study very much is that I want to play as many hours as possible so I can move up in limits and clear the bonus faster, and maybe get some coaching for the bonus money.

Here is a graph from the last two days (since I moved to my new stars account):

• mineriva
      mineriva
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Alan883
      It is never to early to start our poker careers if we are not caught by poker room :f_cool: .

I did not know that underage poker is acceptable to pokerstrategy.com. Thank you for this information.
    • JCSeerup
      JCSeerup
      Bronze
      Here is a cool video by the australian grinder TonnaMunz, it's a must see! :D

• JCSeerup
      JCSeerup
      Bronze
      I haven't updated my blog for a while and the main reason have been that I have been having a break from poker the past weak. I was running really bad and I just didn't want to keep playing hours everyday when I felt like I was getting crushed all the time, so I decided the best thing to do was to stay away from poker for a while and come back with a clear mindset.

Today I just played a short session where I tried to concentrate on only making the best possible decisions, stick to my pre-flop ranges, not call too much post-flop and don't c-bet without any reason. And I really think I played good I might have made a one or two mediocre plays, but overall I'm very happy with the way I played and it felt so good to see a positive result when I finished the session.

Now it's almost time for collage football where I got money on Virginia Tech -8 and South Florida, so hopefully I can make a little change in those games. :D

I might play another short session again when the games is over, but I will try to cap my session at 1,5 hours so I'm not playing when I'm tired and to prevent me from chasing my loses.

:heart:
    • JCSeerup
      JCSeerup
      Bronze
      As I mentioned in my past update I have had a break last week, and it really seems to have helped on my play to get my head on straight and think through how I can play in a way that makes me the most money. I don't think I have had a losing session but I have been playing short sessions on 1,000-1,500 hands so I won't get tired in my head when I play and make dumb plays, I have also been very good a sticking to my ranges and not making plays I have been unsure about since they often end up being wrong. The only big spew I remember this week was today in a hand where I had a pretty good feeling I was behind, but I was to weak to fold AA on a low board, which costed me 200 bb.

I also try to spend more time improving away from the tables by reviewing hands, do a lot of EV calculations to avoid getting into hard situations again where I often might end up making bad plays. Last night I also tried for the first time to watch a video actively by pausing every time there were a spot I was unsure about and ask about hands where I might take very different lines, and I felt like I learnt way more that way.

Here is the spew of the week so far :f_cry:

Poker Stars $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em - 9 players - View hand 2333170
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BTN: $5.78
      SB: $1.66
      BB: $5.09
      UTG: $6.32
      UTG+1: $12.88
      UTG+2: $1.04
      MP1: $1.12
      MP2: $2.50
      Hero (CO): $9.93

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero is CO with A :club: A :heart:
      1 fold, UTG+1 raises to $0.15, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0.50, 3 folds, UTG+1 calls $0.35

Flop: ($1.07) 2 :spade: 7 :diamond: 6 :diamond: (2 players)
      UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $0.66, UTG+1 calls $0.66

Turn: ($2.39) T :club: (2 players)
      UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $1.48, UTG+1 raises to $4.36, Hero calls $2.88

River: ($11.11) 8 :diamond: (2 players)
      UTG+1 bets $7.36 all in, Hero calls $4.41 all in

Final Pot: $19.93
      UTG+1 shows T :spade: T :heart: (three of a kind, Tens)
      Hero shows A :club: A :heart: (a pair of Aces)
      UTG+1 wins $19.10
      (Rake: $0.83)

And now the beautiful graph for the weak :f_love:

• JCSeerup
      JCSeerup
      Bronze
      Since it's I finished playing pretty early tonight I figured I would just tally up for the week and make a post about what I have been doing this week.

Coming in to this week I was almost scared of start playing again because I had been running bad for so long, but by playing short sessions, playing better and running better this week can only be counted as successful. I have just tired to play good solid poker, avoid playing in marginal situations where I don't know what to do and not making any fancy plays.

These two days since my last update have been good, I have not been playing as much as I wanted to since I had to use most of yesterday updating my computer, but still got in around 4,000 hands and today I played around 2,000 so it's not too bad. I have not been studying as much as I have wanted to either, but hopefully I will be able to do that next week.

So for my plans next week, I'm going back to Denmark for a week from the 23rd to the 30th, and I don't think I will be able to play while I'm back since I signed up on the .com clients when I moved to Ireland, but I will see about that. Really looking forward to seeing my family and friends again, so it should be great anyway. But if I'm not able to play I will have more time to study, which is good since I'm thinking about moving up to NL10 when I get 5-10 BI's more for that level.

Now it's time for the my graph for this week which I'm pretty happy about.

• JCSeerup
      JCSeerup
      Bronze
      Movin' up!

Today I decided to take a new shot at 10NL since my bankroll has been stabilized a bit and yesterday I felt like I was playing great and that I really had momentum with me, and I'm so happy that today was a successful day, until my last session when I started to be a little over confident and splashed away 2 BI's, but still up 4,5 BI's for the day, so it has for sure been a success. Run good was a big factor today, but I felt like everybody was playing terrible, and that they were so easy to exploit.

A funny hand, I have been talking with w34z3l about trying to 4b bluff some suited aces and thought I found a pretty good spot for it. :D

Poker Stars $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em - 9 players - View hand 2370513

BTN: $10.00
      SB: $12.02
      BB: $24.62
      UTG: $7.82
      UTG+1: $13.68
      UTG+2: $15.67
      MP1: $8.95
      MP2: $7.73
      Hero (CO): $21.15

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is CO with A :club: 6 :club:
      1 fold, UTG+1 calls $0.10, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0.35, 2 folds, BB raises to $1.20, 1 fold, Hero raises to $3.75, BB calls $2.55

Flop: ($7.65) 9 :club: 9 :diamond: 6 :diamond: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $4.38, BB calls $4.38

Turn: ($16.41) A :diamond: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

River: ($16.41) 6 :spade: (2 players)
      BB bets $7.30, Hero calls $7.30

Final Pot: $31.01
      BB shows 4 :diamond: 7 :diamond: (a flush, Ace high)
      Hero shows A :club: 6 :club: (a full house, Sixes full of Aces)
      Hero wins $29.61
      (Rake: $1.40)

• JCSeerup
      JCSeerup
      Bronze
      At first I was like

Then tiltbreaker shut me down and I got really mad!

• JCSeerup
      JCSeerup
      Bronze
      Poker Stars $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em - 9 players - View hand 2379566

BTN: $19.32
      SB: $10.20
      BB: $4.67
      UTG: $20.46
      UTG+1: $10.37
      UTG+2: $12.59
      MP1: $15.45
      MP2: $41.57
      Hero (CO): $13.89

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is CO with A :club: A :spade:
      1 fold, UTG+1 raises to $0.30, 3 folds, Hero raises to $1.05, BTN calls $1.05, 2 folds, UTG+1 raises to $2.50, Hero raises to $4.20, BTN calls $3.15, UTG+1 calls $1.70

Flop: ($12.75) A :diamond: 5 :club: Q :diamond: (3 players)
      UTG+1 bets $2.40, Hero calls $2.40, BTN raises to $4.80, UTG+1 raises to $6.17 all in, Hero raises to $9.69 all in, BTN calls $4.89

Turn: ($38.30) J :spade: (3 players - 2 are all in)

River: ($38.30) K :heart: (3 players - 2 are all in)

Final Pot: $38.30
      BTN shows 5 :spade: 5 :diamond: (three of a kind, Fives)
      UTG+1 shows Q :spade: Q :club: (three of a kind, Queens)
      Hero shows A :club: A :spade: (three of a kind, Aces)
      Hero wins $6.95
      Hero wins $29.85
      (Rake: $1.50)

• JCSeerup
      JCSeerup
      Bronze
      It's been a while since I have been posting here, but lately I have felt like I wanted to write some more posts about how I do (that's how interesting I am ;) ). Since my last update I have started playing 10NL 6-max after I heard a bunch of 2p2 FR regs, tried it out and it should be not easier, but possible the line between skills and results should be more pure, since you have to play more on your opponents compared to FR where you cards have much bigger influence.

So far the results have been pretty good, I have barely studied at all, but I have put in good volume and I have kept winning, so I have been more motivated to play instead of playing compared to studying. This is also one of the reasons I want to start blogging again, I think it might give me more motivation to study because when I say I'm going to do something I will work very hard on achieving it.

6-max this month:

Overall:

My goals for the week:
      • 15,000 hands
      • Study 30 min. a day
      • Have a good christmas :]

I don't have very much time to play this week, I decided to take today so I went out and bought a new mouse since my old one was pretty bad when playing long sessions. My mom is visiting me in Dublin so tomorrow and wednesday I'm spending christmas with her, so I most likely won't do any poker related stuff these days (maybe show her bet raise fold :D ). I will most likely only play thursday and in the weekend, but since it's christmas holidays I will play as much as possible those days since the games will be very soft.

• JCSeerup
      JCSeerup
      Bronze
      Christmas is now over (almost) and I'm ready to put in some hours at the tables. Luckily the fish doesn't seem to have left the tables yet because the games are still really soft so for the rest of the month I will play as much as possible, after all this is the softest time of the year. I have also thought about starting to play a bit live, every saturday there are a 50NL game at a casino, so I might go there on saturday and spew a bit if I have put in decent volume online during the day.

In the beginning of the month I set myself some goals in the December Volume & Poker Goals Pool, so far I only need ~360 VPP's which easily should be reached, but also ~17,000 hands which might be a bit more than I'm able to grind out, so I decided that if I reach both goal I will buy myself a little thing which will be this "The Money Team" snapback, so even more reason to grind hard for the rest of the year! :D

Today I had a decent session, played ~2,200 hands and made ~1,5 BI at NL10, which I guess is okay considering I didn't run super hot, now I'm getting ready to look at some hands I marked during the session.

• JCSeerup
      JCSeerup
      Bronze
      So after a couple of hard days I can now take it easy tomorrow and have a good time without thinking about I didn't reach my goals for the month, I played a total of 65,007 hands which could be better, but considering I got a very slow start and still took some days of for christmas I'm pretty happy with the volume. There will always be a downside though, I haven't had much time to study which I'm not too happy about although I think I improve a lot by trying new things while at the table and reading blogs and 2p2 threads by players I look up to.

My plan for next month will be to stay at 10NL since I still feel like I need more experience in 6-max before I will move up to 25NL. Next month I will also study a lot more, which also will influence my volume at the tables, I don't expect to play much more than 50,000 hands. I was lucky enough to get a video review by pleno1 in the free christmas coaching which I really look forward to. I might get some more coaching since I think what I learned by w34z3l this month easily was worth the price, but now that I moved to 6-max a couple of the concepts are not as applicable.

I don't really want to make a plan for the entire month, so instead I will try to make weekly plans for what I want to do, and I will probably make a rule about giving money to charity for each goal I don't hit just to keep me a bit more motivated.