Which Laptop To Get?

• frazz4
      frazz4
      Bronze
      I need to get a new lap top and I'm really stuck. There is a good deal on MacBook Airs today, 1.4 duel prcessor, 2g of ram. 11 inch. Im not sure what lap tops compete with a mac book can anyone help?
  • 12 replies
    • pockettones
      pockettones
      Bronze
      What are your needs (what will be the main use of your laptop)? Will your laptop be your main computer? If it is maybe you will want a larger screen unless you intend to hook it up to a monitor. Unless you're into pc gaming or do graphics design/video editing that sort of thing, any cheap laptop will run pretty smoothly with all programs, no need for a core i5/i7 or a dedicated graphics card. In my experience Apple tends to be a little pricey for the performance you get, I also don't really like the new windows 8 as they got rid of the start menu so navigation gets pretty bothersome, I'd try grab windows 7 if you are sticking to pc.
      Do you have a budget?
    • frazz4
      frazz4
      Bronze
      Well it's my only computer but the only thing I use it for is poker and other gaming,
    • kierantierney
      kierantierney
      Bronze
      Not an IT expert but if I was getting a machine I'd get one with a big screen and the highest resolution available. THis would make multi tabling easier as I find it hard to read the hud once you go above 4 tables. I'd say most machines could handle poker software pretty easily.
    • pockettones
      pockettones
      Bronze
      Macbook air is good because it is light and highly portable with good battery life - so this is ideal if you are on the move all the time. Because you do gaming, you want something a lot more powerful. What games do you play? Most modern games take quite a bit of muscle to run.

Also I would consider buying a desktop and a nice 1080p monitor instead, you get a lot more power for the money you pay. Here in Australia $1000 (around USD $900) you get a beast of a desktop :p. Desktop setups are much more comfortable to use than laptops over a long period of time as you have to stare down at the laptop which will have a smaller screen as well, and typing with a proper keyboard is also generally easier.

If you insist on a laptop as your main pc, I'd go with a 17" screen. My personal favorite brand is Toshiba, their laptops tend to feel pretty solid, ofc quality will depend on the model. Dell, Acer, HP, ASUS all good too:p

Here are some general specs you want in your laptop:

i5 or i7 processor

Good dedicated GPU (GT650m+ for Nvidia, HD7770m+ for AMD)

4gb+ ram.

CPU and GPU are most important when it comes to performance (especially the GPU).

If you are planning to buy online, if you link me the site and give me a budget I can narrow down a range of laptops for you.
      Perhaps you should check out a Dell XPS laptop, they are built for performance so you can't go wrong. Stay away from Alienware unless you are prepared to spend a lot of money, I reckon they are pretty overpriced and if you want super-high end performance desktop definitely the way to go anyway.

If you want a desktop, I find that getting a custom build pc for gaming gives you the best value for your money. Desktop i7s are overkill for games, get an i5 and an AMD hd7850 or GTX660 Nvidia.
    • iFortunatus
      iFortunatus
      Bronze
      If you want a laptop, with a high spec, same sort of size as a macbook, also with a very sleak design, light up key board etc I would highly recommend the HP envy 14 beats.

I was torn between macbook and HP but don't like the apple software, best decision I ever made I love everything about the laptp

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-HP-Envy-14-Beats-Edition-Notebook.43071.0.html

I got mine with the i7 quad core and 8gb ram and it's a beast of a laptop handles everything
    • AlvisR
      AlvisR
      Bronze
      why waste money on laptops, if you can get a lot better personal computer for the same price?? 24" screen would suit you perfect, if you look for specs on PC then 8GB G.skill (or other well known brand) RAM for sure, 1GB+ GPU, CPU i7 definately, SSD flashdisk + 1TB+HDD and good motherboard.

Best regads.
    • frazz4
      frazz4
      Bronze
      Ye a desk top would be better but i do allot of travailing so need a lap top and it makes no sense to get two computers
    • WinStrat
      WinStrat
      Bronze
      For gaming, I agree with the comments here a good GPU and a big screen are essential.
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey guys!

I don't know to much about all this computer stuff but this is what I have.

I have a 15" MacBook pro. All software runs pretty well on it. Apparently the macbook air is faster but has less power :f_confused: I don't know... I do know that the air has a very small hard drive, that might be a pain if want to store a lot of software, movies ... on your laptop.

What ppl also say over here: "don't take a dell laptop" apparently there aren't as good.

My GF has a lenovo laptop, I haven't really used it, but from what I've seen it's a solid laptop.

About screensize: I don't mind my 15". The tables overlap a bit and I got kinda used to it. Of course if you can afford a 17" I'd go with that... I just couldn't at the time.

Regards

RasTweet
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      I'm buying a laptop and since I don't have experiences with those I would like to hear your opinions.

Facts:

- will not be my main comp, only for 4-6 tabling + hm2
      - will have 22" external monitor

I'm kinda limited with budget so atm this two are main choices (up to 400€):

- http://www.enaa.com/oddelki/racunalnistvo/izd_3286_hlsas-x551ma-sx050d_prenosnik_asus_x551ma-sx050d_n2920_15_6__bele_barve

vs

- http://www.computer-planet.si/computerplanet/artikel/9905-prenosnik-asus-x552cl-sx023d-i3-3217-4gb-500gb-gt710m-dos

Which one would you advise me to take? Should I expect lots of lagging or relatively normal play?

Tnx in advance:)
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey yaxkukmian,

If it has to be between those two I would choose the second one - it has a better processor and a dedicated graphics card, so it's a bit more future-proof.

There won't be "lots of lagging" with either, but you can expect the occasional slow-down. For a lag-free experience you should be looking for at least 8GB of RAM and a SSD. From what I see on the i3 model you can add 4 GB RAM more and a SSD at a later stage, but it would require some tinkering.

Keep in mind that neither has windows preinstalled, so you would have to install that yourself.

Best,
      Kamen
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      Thank you Kamen :f_thumbsup: Will look around a bit more but if it comes to these two in the end I will take your advice into consideration :)