Finding the fish

• frazz4
      frazz4
      Bronze
      I know the general get on a table with high vpip but I want to know if anyone has any secreqtw to finding the fish. Do you think it's better to wait on a table for the fish to come to you or for you to go to them. Because surly if a table has more than 3 people waiting then by the time you get on there it's not the table you were waiting for! Also the fish rant on waiting lists they just want to sit down there and then and play so would it not be better to sit with a new table/ one with 3-4 people on it a hope a fish sits next to you? It's just an idea as lately I'm waiting for a 6 max table with up to15 on the waiting list.
  • 7 replies
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      15 on the waiting list is pointless, you're not gonna get there with the table still being good

Starting tables does work well, fish generally just sit down on an open table with 2-3 players. Playing HU with a reg might seem -EV to some bumhunty people and about 1/3 of the time I sit with regs they just sit out when they recognize me/ see that I have 100bb stack, but its still a good idea to sit with them since
      a) many 6max regs actually aren't very good HU but don't realize and keep playing out of ego even if its obvious you have an edge (which I think is actually not a bad thing on their part due to b):
      b) you improve your game immensely by playing good/better opponents
      c) within 5 minutes you will usually have at least 1 fish on the table, if not you can just quit that table and start another table.
    • staktas
      staktas
      Bronze
      Did you really saw any fish at waiting lists? Fish usually just sits where they can find empty seat.

On pokerstars, I check how many tables they are playing. If 1, then it's usually fish. Also, if they bought in with less than full stack, they are usually fish too. If they have only 1 star, then it's a fish too.
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Originally posted by staktas
      On pokerstars, I check how many tables they are playing. If 1, then it's usually fish. Also, if they bought in with less than full stack, they are usually fish too. If they have only 1 star, then it's a fish too.
      I agree, but interestingly last night I saw a fish playing 9 tables at once at NL25. He had about 53 VPIP 26% 3bet which is insanely loose given the amount of tables and just barreled like a monkey.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by metza
      Originally posted by staktas
      I agree, but interestingly last night I saw a fish playing 9 tables at once at NL25. He had about 53 VPIP 26% 3bet which is insanely loose given the amount of tables and just barreled like a monkey.
      Must have been pay day lately ;)
    • frazz4
      frazz4
      Bronze
      I thats what i said about he fish not waiting for tables. so ye that seams to have answered my question, starting a new table seam better.
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      I'll put my first few thoughts:

1. Usernames. For example: Barry66779, littlemisscutie
      2. Stack sizes. Not full buy-ins, for example, At NL100, $66.43.
      3. Usually fish won't wait on a waitlist, they want to play hands.
      4. 1 tablers
    • 7h3r1pp4
      7h3r1pp4
      Bronze
      Originally posted by justkyle88
      I'll put my first few thoughts:

1. Usernames. For example: Barry66779, littlemisscutie
      2. Stack sizes. Not full buy-ins, for example, At NL100, $66.43.
      3. Usually fish won't wait on a waitlist, they want to play hands.
      4. 1 tablers
      I sign that!

I have an other order but I dont think it matters anyway as long as you can find the fish. If you dont find the fish within some time then you are the fish :f_biggrin:

No shame to quit those tables and find a better one.