FL player hoping to learn the right way

• Bookie22
      Bookie22
      Bronze
      Hi guys, I'm Matt from the UK.

Just thought I would introduce myself.

I know you've heard it all before about "commited to learning etc" but I after switching from NL I really think I have found my game as despite considering myself relatively tilt resistant. Sucking out or simply having the worse cards and losing a buy-in will always drive me a little nuts but luckily as Im risk adverse ( a bit overly so) I tend to turn the computer off but don't tend to return for far too long, instead of getting over it, review the session and getting back in the game.

I don't seem to have that problem whatsover with limit as if you do everything right you can't blame yourself and more important your chance of losing just one buy-in is quite low and due to being a bit too risk adverse I play well below the limits I can BR for I just wouldn't feel comfortable as I hate losing (which is obviously natural) but as a pharmacy student and a part-time betting office manager of 10 years I won't be easily discouraged from having to just suck it up and just learn somethings rote, such as starting hands charts etc and obviously the odds come second nature. I'm much more a visual learner though and really love coaching vids.

Long story short. I completely forgot I had even signed up to this site. I have a great RB deal with WIlliam Hill and my rakeback provider has a really good selection of coaching videos but literally nothing on limit and overall completely incomparable to here from a teaching point of view. So I signed up to poker770 and will clear a 100 points as quickly as poss every month to ensure I maintain silver level so i have plenty of studying material for the imminent future and will of course take advantage of any other deals worth having.

If I'm honest I am profitable at upto £5 SnGs but not a fan anymore of that form ot MTTs and a very small loser at NL (but we are talking micro levels.) courtesy of rakeback Ive only ever desposited £20 in years and since playng 5/10 FL I'm break even at worse whilst accumulating relatively decent rakeback so I hope I'm a good candidate to become a half decent FL player at the lower limits.

I have HM2 which I don't use to anywhere near its full potential. I'm pretty good at putting people on ranges using VPIP and PFR stats, I still do the obvious and can't bring myself to lay down made hands when you know you are completely beat as it is the nit reraising but as it never costs too much unlike NL I can get over it quickly and thats what attracts me.

Basically I want to learn properly from the ground up. I have put all the charts on to my tab and will take it to work and try and force as much in as possible but I think referring to them whilst playing is probably a far more effective technique as im hoping as long as im close enough in the early days that will do.

Unless anyone thinks there is a better approach Im just working my way through the articles upto bronze as I wont get silver for a few days and there is plenty enough anyway to keep me going and I have started watching terrorblade's Introductory vids and some SH live vids he has done.

I really want to know how to do everything properly, from session reviews to theory etc. and defintely get into a study group to bounce ideas of each other

Any guidance would be appreciated and in return I will try not be another overnight poker wannabee. If reasonable goals are set I will do them.

I dont go back to Uni untill the end of September so we can hopefully get a bit of a grounding in by then. What do you say? :)

Oh and I'm toying with the idea of getting leak buster but from what Ive read its probably best if I wait until I have a good sample of FL hands as it mostly NL or tournies.

And of course it's great to be here. I have been reading the forums and everyone seems good natured and very helpful.
  • 10 replies
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      hello there Matt,

so nice to have you here. I see you made your first post 8 months after your signing to PokerStrategy. For sure it is never to late :D . So welcome again.

I see FL is your choice and i do agree with your reasons why you chose it. I personally think there is a lot more math behind FL game than NL. But i am far away from being FL expert. i tried it really years ago, but i was not successful at it.

I also see you are already familiar with all necessary basics so you are ready to start studying any kind of poker. I have also a suggestion that might be very helpful to you.

We have very experienced players in any kind of poker. So we do have great coaches and judges for FL as well. When you will have any doubts about any hand just post it into Fixed Limit Hand Evaluation Forum. Your hand will be evaluated by experienced players and i am sure you can benefit a lot from it. Since you have HEM2 this will be very easy for you. You will need just few seconds to post it.

Maybe you would be interested also in our free tool called Equilab. I think it is very useful for FL players since you can analyse your hand street by street with it. You can see there what is your equity versus different ranges and so on. It is great tool that will help you make the best analyses over and over again.

I wish you all success on your way and i hope to see you around.
    • Bookie22
      Bookie22
      Bronze
      Hi Alan.

Thanks for the very warm welcome. It is the maths to a degree that appeals to me as it not just about having a calculator in your head as you can learn the outs and odds rote but it is also using your stats and the table flow (if that makes sense) to do your best to come up with implied odds so it has a bit of everything. Plus the safety net of no all-ins will keep me sane. I can handle variance but being able to tilt half your BR in no time at all is not something i fancy

Yes I did see equilab and will almost defintely download it tomorrow as it sounds right up my street.
      I'm currently having a brief play with 'Side Kick' which looks handy for posting hands to the forum, but not sure how much I should read into how I am being characterised. It was very flattering earlier but now it is pretty much describing me as a bouncer lol. I don't think it is getting all my hand histories.

So I think a bit more reading and playing and then take the plunge and submit some hands for evaluation. That's the bit Im a little worried about as the quality of coaches and players on here seem excellent and no one likes to get laughed at :) There are gaping holes in my game which is why I need some structured learning.

Cheers mate
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      You are very welcome :D .

Just keep us updated with your progress ok?

I have to say that i use HEM2 for posting my hands to Hand Evaluation forum. Sidekick is really fun and i was also satisfied when it said to me i am something that i am not :D . It was just to generous to me :f_biggrin: .

So why did i chose HEM to post my hands? Because HEM is really always running on my computer while i play poker. We can also mark our hands for later reviews while playing and so on. I believe you are familiar with hem but if you like to know more about the fastest way to put hands in our hand evaluation forum let me know.

Good luck at the tables.
    • Boomer2k10
      Boomer2k10
      Bronze
      A big welcome to the forums :)

Look forward to your posts and discussion in the Forums :)
    • Bookie22
      Bookie22
      Bronze
      Thanks Boomer.

I have enjoyed watching a few of your coaching videos already so would appreciate you going easy on the noobie for a little while :)
    • Bookie22
      Bookie22
      Bronze
      I thought I would just give a quick update. Well I used the £6 that was on Poker770. It was variance of the bad kind and nothing more sinister i promise. I also had to empty my William Hill account as all the bills came at once (I'm just a poor student/part-timer) and it was desperate times. I had a very expensive summer as I had to do a months placement for my Uni course on the other side of the country and had to pay for it out of my own pocket ontop of this years tuition fees (thank god I got in when they were still the cheap fees....Anyway, I get paid from work next week and I get all my maintaintance loans and grants all at once for School so will go from poor to rich.

I had like £1.50 or something in my william hill account left after withdrawing and installed a new database for HEM and both poker sites so its like a fresh start. I'm all about the FL now. So I just pathetically one tabled a bit last night and this morning at 2/4, I promise I normally do 5/10 and can multi-table but there wasn't even enough left to let me open two tables at the min.

Anyway here's a graph and stats from HEM. I know the sample means nothing but just thought it would show that I have been doing my homework (to a degree :) ) and I'm not a complete hopeless case. I will deposit the £20 in next week to get the free money and carry on at 5/10 until I'm ready to move up, which might be a while.

Don't look at the rather bleak profit at the side.. It's all about the shape:)

[img][IMG]https://img819.imageshack.us/img819/6696/6wv8.png[/IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

BB/100 comes out at 33.54.
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      Anyway, I get paid from work next week and I get all my maintaintance loans and grants all at once for School so will go from poor to rich.

Gorgeous end of dramatic story isn't it?

I hope everything will be as you expect.

And very nice graph BTW. Its only a little bit more than 300 hands but definitely some nice hand are there for sure.

Good luck.
    • Bookie22
      Bookie22
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Alan883
      Anyway, I get paid from work next week and I get all my maintaintance loans and grants all at once for School so will go from poor to rich.

Gorgeous end of dramatic story isn't it?

I hope everything will be as you expect.

And very nice graph BTW. Its only a little bit more than 300 hands but definitely some nice hand are there for sure.

Good luck.
      Thanks Alan

I'm not sure what I am expecting except for it being hard work, which is fine as long as there's progress. I have no plans to be a professional as fingers crossed the government will not have got rid of pharmacists by the time I graduate but being able to do a hobby you really enjoy and is intellectually challenging and that might also pay for a holiday once in a while seems pretty good =)

There were utter donks on the table I was just playing on hence the peak at the end which I could have probably doubled in another 50 hands. It swings in roundabouts.

Oh and just to say I know how important BRM is before someone says it but there was no alternative and it will be back in place soon where it will remain. Hopefully.

I could probably do with a few days away from the tables anyway. I think my wife is feeling neglected. The cheek of it :D
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      Yeah always the same story with wifes and girlfriends.

And you are totally right. There is one sentence we are very affair of and we have to put every effort not to ever hear that.

"Why is poker more important to you than i am"

No no no...sorry but I have to run to buy flowers. Bye bye :f_cool:
    • Bookie22
      Bookie22
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Alan883
      Yeah always the same story with wifes and girlfriends.

And you are totally right. There is one sentence we are very affair of and we have to put every effort not to ever hear that.

"Why is poker more important to you than i am"

No no no...sorry but I have to run to buy flowers. Bye bye :f_cool:
      lol so true.