What game to grind for maximum points and minimum risk.

• WinStrat
      WinStrat
      Bronze
      I like points to participate in promotions on different sites.

I usually play MTTs but they are not good for points accumulation.

I found that with PLO8 I can get points fast because there are a lot of allin split pots (1 high, 1 low) but the players usually are better than average.

I'd like to know if there are other games where one can get points with minimum risks.
  • 12 replies
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      Hello WinStrat,

point are related to rake paid so more rake you paid more points you get.

Definitely you can produce a lot of rake/points on zoom tables but of course i don't know if this achieve your risks requirements.

Stilli would suggest to you ZOOM FR game. There are of course plenty of fishes and with some discipline and studying involved i am pretty sure you can be at least break even pretty easily on limits like NL2 or NL5.
    • WinStrat
      WinStrat
      Bronze
      I can't beat zoom so far and too much variance.

Is stud Hi/Low good in term of limiting variance?
    • TheMarxBros3
      TheMarxBros3
      Bronze
      Is stud Hi/Low good in term of limiting variance?

If you think Omaha hi-lo is tough then I wouldn't recommend you play any stud games. Stud is much tougher to beat then any other game IMO. You need to be very proficient in order to beat stud.

I would play limit Omaha hi-lo if you are looking for maximum points with the least risk. There are not that many very good players in the limit Omaha hi-lo games yet. Of course this is bound to change as more people study the game.

Hold-em has had so much written about it and studied that only the very best players can beat it consistently.
    • WinStrat
      WinStrat
      Bronze
      Thanks for the comment on stud.

Except for Stars, the traffic is almost non-existent for limit Omaha hi-lo.

And on Stars you got lots of regs.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Thanks everyone!
    • Itsnevereasy
      Itsnevereasy
      Bronze
      I think the answer it obvious. Can't believe no one said it! :evil:

Variance is lowest in the game that you have the biggest edge in.

Likewise, points are accumulated fastest in the game that you have the biggest edge in since you will be playing higher stakes presumably.
    • PriscoInline
      PriscoInline
      Bronze
      Actually, I think the variance is the same whether you are making 10bb/100 or 1bb, but you are hardly going to be losing, even when on a downswing, the higher your winrate, hence we feel the variance is lower, but it is not, it just feels less significant. I have read a couple of discussions on this topic in PS boards already.

Yet I do agree with you. We are going to accumulate more points in the game we have the biggest edge. But putting a great volume on a high variance game in order to accumulate points does not seem ideal to me.

Good luck.
    • WinStrat
      WinStrat
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Itsnevereasy
      Variance is lowest in the game that you have the biggest edge in.
      Maybe true
      But if your edge is in Hyper Turbo SNG, you're gonna get high variance no matter what.

Originally posted by ItsnevereasyLikewise, points are accumulated fastest in the game that you have the biggest edge in since you will be playing higher stakes presumably.
      Not necessarily true
      I play MTTs and a buyin can last for hours, so you are playing and not making points very fast.

Going for higher stakes means tougher opponents and your edge will go down.
    • WinStrat
      WinStrat
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TheMarxBros3
      Hold-em has had so much written about it and studied that only the very best players can beat it consistently.
      Very true.

I found that bad players take much less time adjusting.

A while back I used to have a few "calling station" notes. Right now I have none!
    • DonkeyDirk
      DonkeyDirk
      Silver
      If you play on microgaming you have a crapload of callingstations :) But only holdem really has some traffic and above 40-50nl traffic is very low :) But on the micros even the regs are pretty bad :)
    • Walshnm
      Walshnm
      Bronze
      I have thought about this a lot as I like the idea of profiting from RB and Bonuses - I also have several high stakes friends who do very well breaking even and benefiting from the stake they play in this way.

However...

It is also my experience that the only way to play LOW risk poker while making decent points (and therefore RB/ Bonuses/ etc.) is simply to master one format and play super consistently. I would also mention that unless you are capable of multi-tabling high volumes of SnGs - Cash games are almost def. your best bet.

A friend of mine is Supernova Elite and he plays full ring NLHE which I imagine could be a good bet for you.

GL GL GL
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey guys

I think that Alan is spot on tbh. FR has the lowest variance and zoom is probably the fastest way to accumulate points. The variance on zoom shouldn't be higher. You just play more hands but it's still the same game as normal tables.

Regards

RasTweet