suited connectors

• houlajk
      hi, i just wanna ask if its profitable to call suited connectors, suited one gappers and suited aces on SB/BB, when there was a raise and a call in front of me ? Thx guys
  • 5 replies
    • DrDunne
      I think it's hard to say whether it's profitable or not... Just depends too much on who the opponents are and how you play postflop. In general it doesn't sound like too much of a nice idea unless you have
      a) a clear strategy for how to play your flopped equity against 2
      b) some clear implied odds

The worse your opponents are, the higher implied odds you have and lower FE you have. The lower FE you have, the harder it is to profit from these SCs so it's sort of like a double-edged sword. I rather fold them in general because it's just tough to play OOP.

Suited Ax hands might be different, but then we can start considering a squeeze and that may well be a higher EV play... but it's difficult to say I think. Would be interested to hear some other opinions about this actually because I tend to auto-fold in these situations.
    • kierantierney
      Only new to playing zoom but raising against loose players when you have a TAG image is the best option as I think it will give you a hell of a lot of fold equity along with your hand. Play TAG myself live and pull a move like this now and again. Flatting and playing fit or fold wouldn't be my favourite line. As I said no expert so correct me if I'm wrong
    • DrDunne
      Originally posted by kierantierney
      Flatting and playing fit or fold wouldn't be my favourite line.
      +1 to this. Imo there are a few rules that I like to follow when considering SCs

- What are his tendencies postflop? If he's stationy then I'm not a huge fan of SCs because we need FE a lot of the time. We don't flop strong enough to valuetown a station.
      - If he's relatively ABC and fullstacked then SCs are good because we can maintain aggression throughout the hand.
      - If he has less than 100bb it starts to get annoying because part of our FE comes from us threatening his stack - when villain has <100bb our FE is going to be reduced because of SPR and also if he doesnt have rebuy on he is most likely fishy = less FE anyway.
      - Position: much rather be IP because it's hard to play OOP vs aggression.
      - History/image: don't like to get into postflop spots if we have been quite active&aggro so far because our FE is reduced due to our image.
      - Aggression/initiative: the preflop aggressor just wins the pot so much more easily than the preflop caller because when we continue betting we just tell a credible story.

So overall you can see that it's not just a black and white situation, but in my opinion you should definitely consider these factors and bear in mind just how important it is to be the aggressor. This is the main reason why I'm not a huge fan of calling them OOP because we are essentially calling to hit which is never fun as mentioned :)

And yeah, don't just take my advice because I'm not a great player but I feel like it is really important to understand why you do things so I like to think a lot about this stuff. These are my thoughts on the situation and I hope they are somewhat helpful :)
    • mbml
      raise size is very important, and in general i fold most of the time in SB. If villain raises >3bb I'm usually folding unless it's suited broadways. 2-2.5bb I'm defending even crap hands like Q8s.
    • PriscoInline
      I have once read some interesting facts about SCs in some other forum.

There's a 5.6% chance of flopping a strong made hand (2 pair+)
      There's a 6.9% chance of flopping a combo draw (12 outer+)
      This gives us a 12.5% chance of flopping a big hand.

But you will flop a flush draw or OESD 13.2% of the times.

This means that 25.7% of the time we will flop something we can continue with.

So, about 1 out of 8 times we will flop a big made hand/combo draw.

But you got to take into account that you are not a huge favorite to win the hand most of the times, even when you flop big (when we flop a set, for instance, we usually have 90%+ equity). So we really need to think all the way through when we decide to play them.
      The Stack to Pot Ratio becomes important, so does position and implied odds.

I tend to play them more when I'm deep, and most of the times in position. I play mostly zoom so there are always deep stacks around to fall prey to my SCs.
      Maybe I can add something else tomorrow, but I'm almost falling asleep here.
      Good luck.