My plans... anyone wanna join me?

• TheKudy
      TheKudy
      Black
      Hi guys,

I wanted to share with you my plans for near future, hoping to find somebody that thinks somewhat similarly and discussing with him my (and his) ideas further. I'm 25 years old, been playing poker for 4 years, this years is my first year beeing pro. My main game is fixed limit 1/2 - 3/6, but lately I'm practising and learning PLO, currently only on micros.

While I am enjoying poker as a game, the main reason I'm playing is the money and I'm highely motivated to make lots of it. Currently I'm staying in Manila, Philippines, because I just finished the university so I have all the free time in the world with no obligations to anything. I've been focusing on poker a lot in here, playing about 8 hours a day my main game and studying and practising PLO in the rest. My approach to poker is very well described by the book - Treat your poker like a business, which heavily influenced me.

My idea, or lets say plans are to basically to get rich soon :) ). What I mean by this is, that I am prepared to work really hard during the next, lets say 2-5 years and set all the basics for my business and life, hoping to make a lot of money during this time such that afterwards, when everything is set I can work on other areas of my life and spend only about 2-4 hours a day to work. This basically means that I want to slowly transfer to business, because I believe that poker might not be very profitable in the near-to-mid future (and I want to avoid regular 9-5 job at all costs). For now though I'm focusing primarily on poker and just brainstorming on various business ideas.

If you are a hard working person and you find this interesting we can talk about this further, just add me via community tool. I'm looking for people with similar point of view, possibly future business associates :) . It would be perfect if you are playing the same games as me (FL or PLO even better, which is the game I would like to move on to) but this is not needed - while hand consulting would be good, I am looking for people with similar motivation as me.
  • 11 replies
    • jpjp7
      jpjp7
      Basic
      where in manila do you stay at? hit me up on skype I might be of help to you :)
    • TheKudy
      TheKudy
      Black
      friend request sent
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      when everything is set I can work on other areas of my life and spend only about 2-4 hours a day to work.

I am also dreaming about that, but I am not much into business too bad, and I will probably not have motivation to make a business.

One of resons is that from what I see the business man work more than those 8-5 workers. They love their business just like we love poker and they dont care if they work 8 hours or more. At least thats what it looks like for me.

So the question - do you know some exasmples where people have business and actually work only 2-4 hours a day?
    • TheKudy
      TheKudy
      Black
      Yes, you are right that most people that have businesses actually work more than people with regular jobs. However this is not always the case and depends on what people enjoy doing in life (as you point out).

Regarding the question, I know a few people that have done this; one works like an hour a day at most (he has people hired to do the work) but that's only like a small business, nothing worth a fortune, but still he has plenty of time for another projects. Also another guy that is much more successful but also works more, usually around the 4 hours.

On the other hand I know a guy who works 10-12 hours a day, but he is making some serious money and is setting himself the grounds for future, so he can ease off a little bit.
    • Baluuu111
      Baluuu111
      Bronze
      Hi,
      I've got some similar goals, but a bit later on, still making my Bsc degree, and will start my Msc next year, and also playing 1/2-3/6 FLHE on Stars, not as a pro, but I want to finance my future studies abroad.

Friend request sent! :)
    • unshpe
      unshpe
      Basic
      Regarding your question Speed ( "So the question - do you know some exasmples where people have business and actually work only 2-4 hours a day? " ) , you need to realize that you take nothing with you when you die. Estimate what you need and when you reach that number, relax and take it a lot slower.

TheKudy, send me a PM with your Skype ID (I can't send PMs or friend invites)
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      Regarding your question Speed ( "So the question - do you know some exasmples where people have business and actually work only 2-4 hours a day? " ) , you need to realize that you take nothing with you when you die. Estimate what you need and when you reach that number, relax and take it a lot slower.

you mean I should not aim at too big money? I am not saying I aim at super big money and working 2-4 hrs.

I would like just to have safe life, to be albe to buy some car which, to feed my and maybe in future children, have big flat so it would be confortbale to live and thats fine.

If at some point I want to buy porche, then I can increase my working time :)
    • unshpe
      unshpe
      Basic
      What I was saying is don't dream of building empires and stuff :) What you said is normal reasonable expectations imo (what i was saying) .

If you are young, there s no excuse for not trying to get to that point as fast as possible imo (gotta put in the 10hrs days before the 4hrs ones )
    • TheKudy
      TheKudy
      Black
      unshpe: completely agree with you
      (sent you friend request)
    • TheKudy
      TheKudy
      Black
      btw if anyone is considering moving to UK for whatever reasons, or is already there and looking for roomate, pls pm me as well.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      What I was saying is don't dream of building empires and stuff smile What you said is normal reasonable expectations imo (what i was saying) .

If you are young, there s no excuse for not trying to get to that point as fast as possible imo (gotta put in the 10hrs days before the 4hrs ones )

somehow dont believe that its so easily achievavle even working 10 hrs per day. Maybe possible with some luck. Would like to see some more examples, maybe interviews from such people or something like that.

I know my cousin has made online business and he is already happy that he earns more than regular people and does not have to work to some boss and has flexible work hours, but as he says he still works a lot. Who knows maybe he just says that he works a lot, but maybe he browses internet and counts those hours as work hours :)