raise or minimal raise

• narefa13
      narefa13
      Bronze
      in the articles say when u have mediocre hand in preflop if some one raised befor u you fold but you can call a minimal raise. ok. in 0.01-0.02 raise means 0.08 and minimal raise means 0.04.
      now what should we do with 0.06 raise which is between real raise and minimal raise.
      call or fold?
      imagine u want to follow starting hand chart
      imagine here u have JTs in the mp2
      its clear u fold when someone raised and u call when minimal raised what about between them ( 0.06)?
  • 5 replies
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey narefa13

I'm not an expert but I think it's a fold then. It's about a minraise, raising to 0,06 is more then a minraise so it's a fold.

Your odds decrease a lot when he makes it more.

Regards

RasTweet
    • PriscoInline
      PriscoInline
      Bronze
      I hardly see anyone raising 4 times the big blind (0.08 in your example) standardly, players usually raise to 3 big blinds. So I would consider the 0.06 raise a full standard normal raise, and would fold.
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Originally posted by PriscoInline
      I hardly see anyone raising 4 times the big blind (0.08 in your example) standardly, players usually raise to 3 big blinds. So I would consider the 0.06 raise a full standard normal raise, and would fold.
      This doesn't happen on nl10+ anymore I know that. But is it on nl2 as well? I know that I used to open 4x on nl2 and nl5.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, narefa13...

You will notice that people rarely open 4BB any more.

If almost ever open raise at your table is 3BB, treat it the same as if it was 4BB

You will also notice that many players open only 3.5 BB from the CO and minraise from the BTN all the time.

Min-raising from BTN has a number of advantages
        gives the blinds a good price to call, and thus play against BTN out-of-position
        costs BTN less if he decides to fold to a 3Bet from the blinds
        allows BTN to play a wider variety of hands.

The disadvantages are:
        Pots are smaller, so it may mean you make less when you do win post-flop
        You take a lot of hands to post-flop that you would have won pre-flop with a larger bet. So only do this if you have better-than-average post flop skills

So to sum up:
        If everyone at the table is open-raising 3BB, then blend in and do the same.
        While you are learning, play tight, and try when possible to get to post flop with high-quality hands.

The best advice here is to play shorter sessions and review your hands afterwards, looking for places where things happen that you don't understand.

When you find one, post your hand for evaluation in one of the Hand Evaluation Forums

Best of Luck,
      --VS
    • PriscoInline
      PriscoInline
      Bronze
      Vorpal said everything.
      Personally, I 3x from every position except button, which I open raise 2.5x, except if the blinds are shortstacked, then I feel a minimum raise is best. I play Shorthanded. On full ring I hear that raising bigger UTG is interesting to prevent going post flop with too many callers.