calling A2s-A5s MP vs EP

• 8 replies
    • spreeboy
      spreeboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by legand73
      In short-handed what do you guys reckon about calling A2s-A5s in MP vs EP open in a vacuum
      PROS:
      1. These hands pretty much fits along with our small PP flat range.
      2. Versatile hand bec of A blocker, low-card flop playability, better float and semi bluff capability than small PP.

CONS:
      1. Unlike small PP, these hands mostly profits by outplaying EP bec obv we could not rely on hitting big hands with these holdings, so these hands are likely -EV for poor postflop players.
      2. Obv a candidate for dead money against late position squeeze. Although EP's tighter range protects us from light squeezers, some good players will also capitalize on this because they could represent a real monster by squeezing out two early pos.

MP vs EP, I put these hands on my gray range, where I don't really have a fix action but mostly relies on table dynamic and playing history. Sometimes we can iso-3bet EP if he is something like a fit-or-fold defender.
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      I've never thought about EP's range protecting us a bit from late position squeeze that's a good consideration to have.

My general plan would be to give up on broadway type boards and float a ton on mid and low boards considering i anticipate EP to have a lot of broadways in his range. Not sure if this play is +EV but am thinking of adding these hands to my range. I guess if I add these kind of hands i want to add some other similar drawy type hands like suited connectors and like suited one gappers but i'm not sure how negatively this would affect my range in terms of being poorly balanced
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      fold, because having 4 guys left to act behind you sucks. if he folds a lot to 3bets and opens fairly wide then you could mix in a 3b sometimes
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      How late would I need to be to justify calling a 3x UTG open w/ A2s
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Personally I don't even call them on BTN vs UTG open, I think they work much better as 3b bluffs especially since if people start to 4bet light they make good 3b/5b shove bluffs w the A blocker and not insubstantial equity when called either.
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Yeah i don't call w/ them at all ip pre but was toying with the idea. Yeah i agree about using them as 3bet bluffs.The nit in me is still not keen to be 5b shoving as a bluff at nl25 too often though.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      i usually call bu and co is more of a 3b
    • GriffithWhite
      GriffithWhite
      Bronze
      So you 3 bet from co and if he 4 bet you fold ?