===The Book Thread====

• 35 replies
    • Timmaywin
      Timmaywin
      Bronze
      Yes, thanks for posting that news item about non-poker books!

I will check those out after I finished reading my current book:

The Power of Habit, Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business - Charles Duhigg

I got this book actually recommended by Snitzelfish, and it's great when you want to permanently change some of your habits!

I think all of these psychological books kinda deal with the same topic, using different examples and different methods to reach certain goals in life. It's not for very long now that I realized that there is one thing that is most important in life and the most powerful weapon you control to create your world: MINDSET
    • BarryCarter
      BarryCarter
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Power of Habit is fricken awesome. If you like that, search for a guy called BJ Fogg on YouTube.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Decision Making and Rationality in the Modern World (by Keith E Stanovich)

If you guys like reading about cognitive biases, judgement and decision making then this is definitely an interesting read :)

It is more on the academic side though so it is quite a dry read, but it is pretty interesting and is written by one of the big researchers in this field.
    • peche025
      peche025
      Bronze
      Thanks for this thread + post Barry, it's a great idea. I've saved 4 of the books in my amazon account to buy later, once I've got through game of thrones and Applications of No-Limit Hold 'em
    • WinStrat
      WinStrat
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BarryCarter
      Power of Habit is fricken awesome. If you like that, search for a guy called BJ Fogg on YouTube.
      I just watched a youtube video by BJ Fogg "B J Fogg on how to really change your habits".

I now understand why I do certain things and I don't do others. Like why I play this poker site and avoid this other one.

The relation between the trigger, the motivation and how easy it is to do it is really key.

The harder it is, the more motivated I must be to do it. If it passes a certain threshold, I will quit.

On the other hand if it is very easy to do, even if I'm not motivated, I'll just do it because it is easy.

Thanks for sharing Barry, I will watch more videos by this speaker.
    • kbwinsagain
      kbwinsagain
      Bronze
      Brilliant article and thread. If only people would take more time to study such material - common sense may become a little more common.

I recently finished The Antidote: Happiness for People Who Can't Stand Positive Thinking by Oliver Burkeman. It really sinks the knife into the 'happiness' and 'positive thinking' movements (you know, focus on nothing but positive thoughts and ignore anything negative and all your dreams will come true). It explores some alternative and ancient strategies, siting scientific studies as well as anecdotal experiences. It is a light and easy read, with a bit of humour thrown in for good measure. Poker-wise, it shines some light on the process of goal-setting and offers ways to prepare for inevitable 'bad beats'.

Also, anything by Richard Wiseman (eg. The Luck Factor and :59 Seconds) is worth a read.

Thank you, Barry, for getting the ball rolling, and all the other contributors for kicking it around.
    • AlvisR
      AlvisR
      Bronze
      I would recomend this book to understand your sleep (i think it is downloadable for free):

And i enjoyed reading Speed reading books to increase your reading quality.

Haven`t been reading scifi books for about 5 years because you gain nothing from them IMO, just pleasure for your braincells with unrealistic things and dreaming about unreal things.

My last book was:

kinda good book, i was fully satisfied of buying this one in paperback.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
    • Timmaywin
      Timmaywin
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BarryCarter
      Yep, already watched a few of his video's and already implementing new tiny habits :)

Originally posted by kbwinsagain
      I recently finished The Antidote: Happiness for People Who Can't Stand Positive Thinking by Oliver Burkeman....It explores some alternative and ancient strategies, siting scientific studies as well as anecdotal experiences...... it shines some light on the process of goal-setting and offers ways to prepare for inevitable 'bad beats'.
      This book sounds interesting! Especially what you mention about inevitable bad beats.
      I don't have my positive mindset at 100% yet, I try to think positive and not be afraid of what might happen in the future (fear which would keep me from doing things). But sometimes it happens anyway and there is a danger of de-motivation. So thanks, I will check it out!
    • sherriffatman
      sherriffatman
      Bronze
      - interesting piece - I haven't yet read any of your selections, but was aware of Dweck and FBR - have now added all to my 'to read asap' list!

- I would recommend "Bounce" by Mathew Syed, to anyone who is interested in the 'power of practice' (10,000 hrs theory)
    • BarryCarter
      BarryCarter
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by sherriffatman
      - interesting piece - I haven't yet read any of your selections, but was aware of Dweck and FBR - have now added all to my 'to read asap' list!

- I would recommend "Bounce" by Mathew Syed, to anyone who is interested in the 'power of practice' (10,000 hrs theory)
      Bounce is great, I just slightly preferred Talent Code and they covered the same topic area, so I picked that.
    • BarryCarter
      BarryCarter
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by kbwinsagain
      Brilliant article and thread. If only people would take more time to study such material - common sense may become a little more common.

I recently finished The Antidote: Happiness for People Who Can't Stand Positive Thinking by Oliver Burkeman. It really sinks the knife into the 'happiness' and 'positive thinking' movements (you know, focus on nothing but positive thoughts and ignore anything negative and all your dreams will come true). It explores some alternative and ancient strategies, siting scientific studies as well as anecdotal experiences. It is a light and easy read, with a bit of humour thrown in for good measure. Poker-wise, it shines some light on the process of goal-setting and offers ways to prepare for inevitable 'bad beats'.

Also, anything by Richard Wiseman (eg. The Luck Factor and :59 Seconds) is worth a read.

Thank you, Barry, for getting the ball rolling, and all the other contributors for kicking it around.
      Wiseman is great, fun on twitter too.
    • BarryCarter
      BarryCarter
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Delighted to discover Malcolm Gladwell has written a new book, out next month

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1846145813/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=00NTDWEESYBZH6JT34JK&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=418448347&pf_rd_i=468294
    • 3prswins
      3prswins
      Bronze
      Downloaded and started reading you are not so smart from this recommendation.

It's very interesting so far and i'm finding it very relatable.

Driving on auto-pilot is a big one I do all the time..... A bit like sub-consciously calling on the river when I know i'm beat :f_grin:
    • BarryCarter
      BarryCarter
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by 3prswins
      Downloaded and started reading you are not so smart from this recommendation.

It's very interesting so far and i'm finding it very relatable.

Driving on auto-pilot is a big one I do all the time..... A bit like sub-consciously calling on the river when I know i'm beat :f_grin:
      I've just started the follow up - You are now less dumb

Its brilliant so far, picks up where the last left off.

He has a podcast, which is very high level but also quite funny

http://youarenotsosmart.com/podcast/
    • Swish29
      Swish29
      Bronze
      Do you have any good books worth reading when someone is depressed/saying to himself most of the time 'what is the point?'? (of life)

Thank you :)
    • BarryCarter
      BarryCarter
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by Swish29
      Do you have any good books worth reading when someone is depressed/saying to himself most of the time 'what is the point?'? (of life)

Thank you :)
      This

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Diving-Bell-Butterfly-Bauby-Dominiqu/dp/0007879555/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1380014177&sr=8-3&keywords=diving+bell+and+the+butterfly

And pretty much any biography of someone you like, or someone who has overcome adversity.

Or for sheer fun

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Dirt-Motley-Confessions-Notorious/dp/0060989157/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380014223&sr=8-1&keywords=motley+crue+dirt
    • martinBAD
      martinBAD
      Bronze
      Game of thrones 1-5 best compilation!
    • z1pz0r
      z1pz0r
      Bronze
      Hey guys.

A lot of people suggest Blink by Malcolm Gladwell, I found it really bad. It's based on no empirical evidence whatsoever and anyone with critical thinking should be really sceptical about the whole concept.

I read You Are Not So Smart and it blew my mind. It's probably the only book that once I finished reading, I started reading it again from the beginning, because it just helps me so much understanding myself.

I wonder if anyone read You Are Now Less Dumb, is it the same concept? Is it as good as You Are Not So Smart?