Micro FL Part I Learning and BRM

• Bookie22
      Bookie22
      Bronze
      Hi and welcome to my blog. It will probably be one of the less interesting ones on here but I am hoping most of all I get something out of it. Mainly motivation, a record of my progression and helpful comments. If it helps anyone else out, even if it’s by learning from my mistakes then great.

I am keen for it to not fall by the way side as at the moment I am on break from University and only working a few days a week, which gives me time to get on top of the fundamentals, start working through coaching videos and to set realistic targets that include both short and long term goals.
      Organising my time effectively is something I have always struggled with. I’m an all or nothing kind of guy so being able to gradually change this annoying trait will help not just my poker career out but hopefully many aspects of my life, not least keeping on top of my pharmacy degree.

Instead of learning the entire years content a couple of weeks before exams, by actually keeping to to a study routine I am confident that not only studying poker alongside my degree is doable, it will actually result in both areas showing considerable improvement. I am not lazy, just very badly unorganized. For example I will turn up to every lecture and seemingly work my **** of for 6 hours but be able to recall very little as the lectures simply go to fast, so instead, I will turn up to all my lectures but will work at my own pace through whatever subject, even if it’s not the one being taught at that moment (I’m in a year of 250 people so it’s im possible for the academic to know what I am doing and all lecture material is online along with learning objectives) This way the 6 hours will actually be productive.

Now on to poker. I won’t recap what I have said in my introduction, but in short, I have played on and off for many years and never really progressed as I have never committed to it and being overly risk adverse ( a little OCD if I am honest,) when I have bordered on tilt I have simply left the game, to not return for far too long or when I have been winning. even if I have only been playing for a few minutes but have won a big pot, I leave the game (winners tilt,)

I very recently switched to FL which I know will fit better with my psychology and am working from the ground up on poker theory and psychology.
      I am working my way through Boomer’s microsurgery which I intend to complete with good notes taken to supplement. I use HEM and equilab and at some point soon will probably incorporate Leak Buster and also using all the articles available to me as well as several poker books.
      I will clarify my goals as I progress. Organisation of course is going to me my fundamental long term goal which hopefully will go hand in hand with the progression of my poker ability.

My short term goal is simply to study often, whether it’s little and often or long and often, but often being the key, and to give myself a decent starting bank roll by clearing the poker 770 bonus by getting volume in, but not at the expense of actually losing my BR by playing above my stakes or for too long at a time.

Due to the free money you get on top of the deposit bonus I am acually in a healthy position already for my stakes.
      I will be playing at 0.05/0.10 FL and this is a graph as of this morning. Not the most impressive but in the green. Most hands were actually played at 0.02/0.04

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here we go!

t
  • 45 replies
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      Oh here is your blog. Welcome again :f_biggrin:

I believe you will be able to keep motivation on a such a high level. I will follow your progress for sure. You journey will be even more interesting because you play FL. It will be interesting to hear how many fishes are on FL these days.

I really look forward so see updates from you.

Good luck.
    • taavi1337
      taavi1337
      Bronze
      Good luck on your journey! :)
    • Bookie22
      Bookie22
      Bronze
      Originally posted by taavi1337
    • Bookie22
      Bookie22
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Alan883
      Oh here is your blog. Welcome again :f_biggrin:

I believe you will be able to keep motivation on a such a high level. I will follow your progress for sure. You journey will be even more interesting because you play FL. It will be interesting to hear how many fishes are on FL these days.

I really look forward so see updates from you.

Good luck.
      Thanks again Alan :D

Well I just hope I have something interesting to post, but will hopefully keep ontop of the blog no matter what.
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      Oh it is already an interesting read. Maybe i could also tell you mine experience with FL. I though that it will be a less stressful than NL. I tried FL few years ago and i came to interesting psychological problem. When i lost big pot i struggled a lot with idea that i will need a lot of time to recover from that loss. I don't know but it was even more stressful than NL. Well i learnt a lot since then and poker is a joy for me and not a stress any more. As you can imagine i was huge fish at NL also. Today i am just a little fish and not huge anymore :f_cool:
    • Sailer85
      Sailer85
      Bronze
      It is always nice to have another FL blog!
      Goodluck at the tables.

I was wondering, how many tables do you play? and how is the traffic at 770 poker for FL?
    • ZeroDegrees
      ZeroDegrees
      Bronze
      Wish you good luck with all! Will follow.
      My all or nothing attitude has dissipated with the years, but it can also be very valuable.
    • Bookie22
      Bookie22
      Bronze
      Oh it is already an interesting read. Maybe i could also tell you mine experience with FL. I though that it will be a less stressful than NL. I tried FL few years ago and i came to interesting psychological problem. When i lost big pot i struggled a lot with idea that i will need a lot of time to recover from that loss. I don't know but it was even more stressful than NL. Well i learnt a lot since then and poker is a joy for me and not a stress any more. As you can imagine i was huge fish at NL also. Today i am just a little fish and not huge anymore :f_cool:
      I completely understand your thinking regarding your problems faced with recovering a big pot in FL as I come from a betting background and it's no different from when people back long odds on Favs on anything, but it seems different with FL as you still have the opportunity to take down a big pot (my graph above being an example and I have just done the same thing today after quite an aweful start where I most defintely felt like the fish) I have posted a hand for evaluation but there was another one similar. I expect this reflects the low limits and is very much harder to claw back when you step up. Still I don't trust myself at NL. I will never tilt my BR but instead would probably lose all interest in the game.

Originally posted by Sailer85
      It is always nice to have another FL blog!
      Goodluck at the tables.

I was wondering, how many tables do you play? and how is the traffic at 770 poker for FL?
      I can play four tables if I just carry on the way I have been going which won't lead to progression but has been profitable when rakeback has been factorerd in at the very lowest levels, but since I have started again and am constantly referring to charts and stats etc which I never use to do I am literally only playing one or two tables. Obviously things will become more and more automated but I can't see myself going above two anytime soon. I play SH which makes things a bit more intense I think.

Originally posted by ZeroDegrees
      Wish you good luck with all! Will follow.
      My all or nothing attitude has dissipated with the years, but it can also be very valuable.
      Thanks ZeroDegrees. That's good to hear that you have managed to get control over your all or nothing pysche and I also have to admit that having the ability (mostly driven by panic) to pull ridiculous study sessions without sleep because I have left everything rather late has got me pretty far, I would like to try and get a handle on it as it would defintely make my life and my other halves life less stressful :)

Originally posted by taavi1337
      Thanks taavi :)
    • Bookie22
      Bookie22
      Bronze
      Don't worry I won't be updating this blog as frequently in the future :f_biggrin:

Didn't get a great deal of volume in (around 800 hands,) and had a few hard luck stories K flush beaten by A flush , the usual, but did manage to recover to make a tiny bit of profit.

I've had the last of the free money from PS and poker 770 released today and started on the deposit bonus which puts my BR upto £43 with the aim of releasing another £38 in as many days and more importantly remaining in the green without taking bonuses and free money into account and preferentially showing a respectable profit on top.

I've always been on Ipoker so can speak for the limits and despite what a lot of people say, the very low limits aren't completely fished filled due partly to the amazing RB deals you can get on the ipoker network, which I have on my Will Hill account and unfortuantely and probably more importantly where micro FL is involved, Ipokers' tolerance to bots. At times I would say 80% of the 0.02/0.04 FL players are bots and a little lower at the 0.05/0.10 level playing abc poker. I can spot the most common one a mile away.

When you go above 0.05/0.10 then the traffic is really, really poor so I defintely would not recommend it for better players but for me, at the moment, it's just fine.

I have plans for where I will go after poker770 but I shouldn't get ahead of myself yet. Thanks for the money PS :)

• Sailer85
      Sailer85
      Bronze
      I should advise you to think where you would like to play when you go up to 10/20 or higher, I moved up to 25/50 and 40/100 in ~2 months (from 2/4).

just follow the strategy lay-out by PS in the articles and you should be on 25/50 or higher within a few months.
    • Bookie22
      Bookie22
      Bronze
      I should advise you to think where you would like to play when you go up to 10/20 or higher, I moved up to 25/50 and 40/100 in ~2 months (from 2/4).

just follow the strategy lay-out by PS in the articles and you should be on 25/50 or higher within a few months.
      Well that would certainly far exceed my highest expectations!! The material available on here is second to none. So are the members for that matter and because I can't see myself needing to ever go anywhere else for poker training I will probably end up at stars linked through here, when I can make the most of the first deposit bonus or if things aren't progressing quite as fast as they could I will revert to my RB account and pay the subscription here until I am ready for stars or if PS comes up with another site with a great free money offer like 770 then I will use them for the mean time.

I can't see myself using another site just for the first deposit bonus whilst I am at the lower limits as my RB account is so much better.

Whats sites do you recommend for the higher limits? Stars?
    • Sailer85
      Sailer85
      Bronze
      I would recommend stars. It is the largest site so has the most traffic, also the rake is low compared to other sites.

I would like to warn against Partypoker/bwin, the site is okay for traffic, however the segregate players based on winrate (this means you will never become a winning player and you will rake your money away), they implemented this feature without telling the public. Recently they introduced an uncapped 3% fee on cashouts.
      Also if you do not play for 6weeks they will take money out of your account as "administrative fees".
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      I just checked how is traffic right now at Stars FL. There are a bit more than 30 6max 25c/50c games and around 15 FR games.

So i think you will hardly find better traffic anywhere else. I don't know how is the competition there but i am sure you can find some fishes.

There are also around 30 10c/20c 6 max tables but almost no FR.
    • Bookie22
      Bookie22
      Bronze
      I would recommend stars. It is the largest site so has the most traffic, also the rake is low compared to other sites.

I would like to warn against Partypoker/bwin, the site is okay for traffic, however the segregate players based on winrate (this means you will never become a winning player and you will rake your money away), they implemented this feature without telling the public. Recently they introduced an uncapped 3% fee on cashouts.
      Also if you do not play for 6weeks they will take money out of your account as "administrative fees".
      Wow! Thanks for the warning. That sounds very much like what Betfair did when it introduced the higher rate of commision for successful punters, knowing they had no viable alternative to turn to. It's really scandalous. 3% cashout charges is just rubbing salt in the wound. I guess in the UK we take free transfers and high levels of customer services for granted when it comes to online betting. I myself work for one of the biggest high street bookies at the weekend and have worked off and on in the betting industry since I was 19.

I just checked how is traffic right now at Stars FL. There are a bit more than 30 6max 25c/50c games and around 15 FR games.

So i think you will hardly find better traffic anywhere else. I don't know how is the competition there but i am sure you can find some fishes.

There are also around 30 10c/20c 6 max tables but almost no FR.
      Sounds like there is no comparison when it comes to FL traffic at Stars compared with Ipoker. Thanks for checking it out Alan as I was wondering but it will just encourage me to day dream about 'what if?' when I have barely scratched the surface of this poker game ;)

I can see myself getting quite into multi-tabling, so when/if I hit the inevitable road block in my poker career progression I will simply play at lower stakes but have 24 tables on the go :D Which I think would only ever be possible at Stars. I've been reading blackrain's blog too much.
    • Bookie22
      Bookie22
      Bronze
      I tried to get some significant volume in today, but it has just gone from bad to worse. I think I can honestly say I never tilted and it was just variance kicking my butt.

Started off well and got my BR up to a new high and then over the course of the last 6 hours (I took a couple of short breaks), my profit (All $5) had gone. To say I suffered a few bad beats would be putting it lightly, but it happens. You always know its inevitable but it is still upsetting none the less.

It works out well for my wife as she has just woken up (been working nights) and I'm going to exit all things poker. Later on I will continue with some videos and studying and if I am feeling refreshed I will fire up the tables. If not, then tomorrow is a new day.

Despite the results I think I defintely played better post flop and cut my losses when knowing I was behind, but could have argued (badly) that I had the odds to continue.

Ipoker really is a struggle to find tables at FL. They have been only two 5c/10c all day. I could have dropped down and played 6-8 tables at 2/4 but there was no point. I wasn't being outplayed and I'm comfortably rolled for 5/10. Plus it would have felt like a failure.

I will feel better after a break and after I have watched a few coaching vids and reviewed notes. My long term goal is to not get put off by variance to the point I leave the game for too long so will get back on the horse as soon as poss.

• Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      4500 hands.....ugggh this is really nice volume. Haha i feel you about your wife. Here is the plan. You play for like 6 hours and when you hear she woke up you pretend that you didn't play poker. After cffee and few hours together you ask her: "Oh darling i haven't played poker today. May i for just about an hour". Haha this story would be pretty same as mine was few years ago lol.

Good luck. And here is just mine advice. Don0t be to oriented on money. That will put you in tilting mode. Its easy to say...but i do the same :D
    • ZeroDegrees
      ZeroDegrees
      Bronze
      Hi,
      I quit ipoker because I wanted to learn and play poker. Money vise it was OK, but I couldn't stand the bots, collusions and more (support will drive you nuts in the wrong sense if you let it). So, I quit it, even if it was profitable. Only room for a FL player is Stars. Haven't found any other room with real FL players.

I can also see from your posts that you're really burning for poker right now. Problem is, I'm concentrating on studies and in poker I have some flame for PLO. However, I will try to help on skype for the benefit of both of us. Have sent a friend request and in the meantime,

enjoy everything!
    • Bookie22
      Bookie22
      Bronze
      4500 hands.....ugggh this is really nice volume. Haha i feel you about your wife. Here is the plan. You play for like 6 hours and when you hear she woke up you pretend that you didn't play poker. After cffee and few hours together you ask her: "Oh darling i haven't played poker today. May i for just about an hour". Haha this story would be pretty same as mine was few years ago lol.

Good luck. And here is just mine advice. Don0t be to oriented on money. That will put you in tilting mode. Its easy to say...but i do the same :D
      I like your style Alan, but the thing is, when the wife is around, she likes a lot of attention and in fairness. She deserves it..aww ain't I a sweetie :D The same goes for even for when Im studying for Uni exams.. She not selfish she just likes time together as during term time we barely get to see each other. and during exam periods I actually study through the night as it works best for both of us as she can feel a bit left out if we are both at home together and its tempting for me to just hang out with her.
      This is part of the organisation goal. I want to keep on top my Uni studies first and foremost which I have never done before, freeing up plenty of time for poker which as mad as it might seem can be done at Uni also :)
      There are so many private study rooms with computersin the library, there's no one checking, and if I keep ontop of priority number one, then I don't need to feel guilty about the poker at all as they are working in combo with each other :) , plus, the missus doesn't have to know as I wont come home any later. I have a two hour commute to my uni by train and that for a start is time which can be utilised far better then it has been.

It really isn't the the loss of money itself it's simply my annoying compulsiveness to want positive results (The money itself at the amounts we are talking are irrelevant) and whats more I actually know the sample size is irrelevant and can't really judge anything for 50k+ plus hands although I think at limit you probably have a good idea sooner, maybe not, it's just my psyche which I have to gradually retrain.
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      You are a sweetie yeah. She will be proud of you if she read your blog :D Good guy:D