Learning Omaha !

• SleepyDog
      SleepyDog
      Bronze
      Hi all !

Happy to be a part of the community, I just signed up and passed the quiz. I'm waiting for my 50€ on Turbopoker.fr and I also deposited 20€ so I should have a nice enough bankroll to start playing the smallest omaha cash games.

I've been playing poker for years now as entertainement, I read a few books mainly NLHE but without really taking notes or anything. I really wish to commit myself now and start learning. A family member introduced me to Omaha a few weeks ago and I like it, I thought it would be nice to learn a new game and start from scratch. I bought Jeff Hwang's books and I read the PLO articles series by Bugs "PLO from scratch" (which is awesome) at the same time.

I don't plan on using a HUD simply because I noticed I got lazy when I did and didn't pay as much attention to my opponents.

I'm quite familiar with the basic mathematics involved in poker (pot odds, implied odds, EV and such) and what I have a hard time doing right now is putting people on ranges.

Ok that's pretty much it :f_biggrin: .

See ya !
  • 7 replies
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Hey SleepyDog,

Welcome to the forum!

Great to see that you've decided to start playing Omaha with the free poker money. Omaha is far less "figured out", I guess you could call it, than for example NL Holdem. So there should definitely be plenty of money there :f_cool:

While you're at it, why not create a blog in our blog section?

Blogs

Here you can keep progress of your own game and development, while others can track your progress and leave their comments. This also helps you stay motivated, especially if you update your blog pretty frequently.

I can also strongly recommend posting and reading in the PLO strategy discussions and hand evaluation forums, to discuss all kinds of topics related to PLO with other PLO players. You can find that board here: PLO board

Hopefully we'll see you around more often! And if you have any questions about anything related to the site and/or content, just ask! :)

Kind regards,
      Tino
    • SleepyDog
      SleepyDog
      Bronze
      Thanks for your post !

I guess there is more money in PLO and it's always nice but for the moment I'll try and NOT loose money :tongue: . I think I have a pretty solid ABC play so it might be enough, we'll see. Anyways my goal is mainly to learn and progress. (By the way, videos are great on this site !)

It's a shame i'm playing on french sites, at the moment there's only 2 tables at every stakes... It's enough to learn but if I wanna put any volume in my game it's another story. Hope I could find four on the evenings, it would be perfect !

I LOVE the idea of a blog ! Don't know if it would be interesting for people to know about a PLO2 player though. I think I'll start one anyway, see if people comment :) .
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      You're welcome!

And trying not to lose money is always a good objective at the start :f_biggrin:

Since I'm not French myself, I cannot really give you any input on sites with bigger traffic. However, I would imagine sites like PokerStars.fr and Winamax should have decent traffic. But don't quote me on that!

And will be looking forward to your blog :f_thumbsup:
    • Yonose
      Yonose
      Bronze
      Welcome
    • Flooooky
      Flooooky
      Bronze
      Hi and welcome to pokerstrategy!
    • pelbonek
      pelbonek
      Gold
      Welcome and good luck at the tables!
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      Bugs' series is very solid indeed (don't forget to check out its parts 13 and 14, the pinnacle of the series, that are in Norwegian only but can obv be translated using Google). Hwang is considered more tailored to deepstack live play and thus usually gets negative feedback from online players, but you're playing at French sites so I guess Hwang is way more applicable :f_biggrin:

With regards to choosing a .fr site, I don't really know how generous Turbo's rewards are (judging by the main iPoker network, they must be big for decent volume players =) ) and what the rake system is; if the rake percentage is higher for stakes below €20 than for €20 and above like on the main iPoker, then of course you should strive get to PLO€20 asap and take very loose shots at it (starting when the roll gets to €400-500 maybe).

GL!